Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
White people may call it "thinning of the herd", Black people call it "only the strong survive"
Sorry to be a bit politically incorrect myself, but why is it that the vast majority (not all) of the victims of violent crimes in our city know their assailants and, in many circumstances, would NOT have been killed had they kept themselves on the proper side of the law, hadn't run their mouths off, or hadn't tried to "prove themselves"? I can't have abundant sympathy for someone who lost their life because they were trying to "make a point" or "build up their cred". Why is it that the vast majority of "witnesses" to these violent crimes refuse to come forward, testify, etc.? Why is it that so many people continue to flee these neighborhoods instead of fighting to reclaim them?

I don't think of African-Americans overall when I think of "the herd". I tend to think of low-class thugs (of any race or background) when I think of "the herd". Yes, I'm certain there are a few promising young minds cut short annually here in our region, but the vast majority seem to be those who have no respect for themselves or anyone else around them. I've endured a lot of adversity in my life. I lost my career in Virginia and now work two jobs just to try to afford groceries and rent due to the collusion and unprovoked pain inflicted upon me psychologically there---pain so intense my own therapist needed her own therapist. I've been very angry inside for years now, but do I think about picking up a gun and blasting someone away? No. I just persevere and work harder and harder each day to try to make life worth living. I look in the mirror and blame myself for most of what ails me today instead of wanting to gun someone else down thinking I'll feel better.

I know of a stunning young African-American woman who grew up in the ghetto of Newark, NJ. She earned her B.S. in Accounting and is now a GS-12 with the Federal government en route to her CPA and MBA. She didn't use her poor surroundings as a "crutch" the way so many ghetto types I've met here in Pittsburgh do. She was raised to believe she could do anything in life if she applied herself, and she's been an inspiration to me ever since I met her two years ago.

P.S. I will reiterate that if you can't find a job here you're lazy. Simple as that. I had two job offers within two weeks of moving here, picked up a second job no problem and also had other offers for secondary positions. Recruiters contact me regularly for positions that don't interest me. Yes, I said "job" (not "career opportunity"), but I feel better about myself working two jobs to support myself than sponging off the government while NOT working because I'm "above" working at certain jobs. I have a high IQ and graduated with high honors with a Bachelor's Degree, yet I sell fruit by day and deliver Indian food by night. I do what I have to do to survive. I don't moan and whine about how it's everyone else's fault but my own that I'm in this situation the way many of those living in multi-generational poverty do. My parents raised my sister and I in a trailer park for a few years until they managed to afford their first "real" home through a lot of sweat equity and perseverance. My father now makes quite a bit of money as a supervisor for an esteemed company. With "rags to riches" stories occurring all around me I really can't say I feel much empathy for people who whine they can't help turning to violence because "they are a product of their surroundings".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 11:15 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,752 times
I'm lazy and still found a job within minutes of trying.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:46 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Sorry to be a bit politically incorrect myself, but why is it that the vast majority (not all) of the victims of violent crimes in our city know their assailants and, in many circumstances, would NOT have been killed had they kept themselves on the proper side of the law, hadn't run their mouths off, or hadn't tried to "prove themselves"? I can't have abundant sympathy for someone who lost their life because they were trying to "make a point" or "build up their cred". Why is it that the vast majority of "witnesses" to these violent crimes refuse to come forward, testify, etc.? Why is it that so many people continue to flee these neighborhoods instead of fighting to reclaim them?

I don't think of African-Americans overall when I think of "the herd". I tend to think of low-class thugs (of any race or background) when I think of "the herd". Yes, I'm certain there are a few promising young minds cut short annually here in our region, but the vast majority seem to be those who have no respect for themselves or anyone else around them. I've endured a lot of adversity in my life. I lost my career in Virginia and now work two jobs just to try to afford groceries and rent due to the collusion and unprovoked pain inflicted upon me psychologically there---pain so intense my own therapist needed her own therapist. I've been very angry inside for years now, but do I think about picking up a gun and blasting someone away? No. I just persevere and work harder and harder each day to try to make life worth living. I look in the mirror and blame myself for most of what ails me today instead of wanting to gun someone else down thinking I'll feel better.

I know of a stunning young African-American woman who grew up in the ghetto of Newark, NJ. She earned her B.S. in Accounting and is now a GS-12 with the Federal government en route to her CPA and MBA. She didn't use her poor surroundings as a "crutch" the way so many ghetto types I've met here in Pittsburgh do. She was raised to believe she could do anything in life if she applied herself, and she's been an inspiration to me ever since I met her two years ago.

P.S. I will reiterate that if you can't find a job here you're lazy. Simple as that. I had two job offers within two weeks of moving here, picked up a second job no problem and also had other offers for secondary positions. Recruiters contact me regularly for positions that don't interest me. Yes, I said "job" (not "career opportunity"), but I feel better about myself working two jobs to support myself than sponging off the government while NOT working because I'm "above" working at certain jobs. I have a high IQ and graduated with high honors with a Bachelor's Degree, yet I sell fruit by day and deliver Indian food by night. I do what I have to do to survive. I don't moan and whine about how it's everyone else's fault but my own that I'm in this situation the way many of those living in multi-generational poverty do. My parents raised my sister and I in a trailer park for a few years until they managed to afford their first "real" home through a lot of sweat equity and perseverance. My father now makes quite a bit of money as a supervisor for an esteemed company. With "rags to riches" stories occurring all around me I really can't say I feel much empathy for people who whine they can't help turning to violence because "they are a product of their surroundings".
I despise the herd mentality that seems to permeate our culture now. This kind of behavior goes against everything my parents, grand parents and even school teachers taught while I was growing up. It most definitely leads to crime as described because people that ascribe to the belief that they must conform with the masses get rattled when someone starts to think or act outside the box.

It's nice to hear the job market in the Pittsburgh area is still pretty good and that it is relatively easy to find a job. This is just one of the many reasons why I would prefer to call the Pittsburgh area "home" instead of the KC area. The economy in KC is a wreck and crime and poverty are rising fast here. I can't wait to get out of here. Even if I have to settle for an entry level job to start, that will be fine because it will likely take a year or two to get income generated from the proprietorship I intend to start.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:53 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,261 times
You've got to put the guns down and we've tried to preach that over and over again," Ravenstahl said.

There's really not much the mayor, the city or police for that matter can do, when people want to kill each other.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:09 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
LOL! I still don't understand this mass hatred for "Mayor Lukey". Since moving here less than a year ago I've noticed gradual improvement in various parts of the city.
I don't hate him at all. He is okay. I liked Murphy quite a bit. He was very proactive and smart.

As far as what he should do about those shootings? Exactly what he did. Make a statement and move on. There is nothing else he can do really. People in the drug game are going to get shot now and again.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:19 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
The real truth in the reasons why black people continually kill one another is this: modern day urban black culture blows. There's so much involved in it that's just one gigantic pissing contest. My crew is harder is harder than your crew, my hustle (read: drug dealing) is harder than your hustle, my ride is doper than your ride, etc. Then once you make an enemy by damaging someones ego by telling them they are less superior to you, violence eventually ensues. It's essentially a more violent and twisted version of "keeping up with the Jones".

Pair that up with the other dominant mindset of "I don't give a f*ck about anything" attitude (like breaking the law, not contributing to society, leaving women as single mothers etc.) and you have a recipe for disaster.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:37 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
The real truth in the reasons why black people continually kill one another is this: modern day urban black culture blows. There's so much involved in it that's just one gigantic pissing contest. My crew is harder is harder than your crew, my hustle (read: drug dealing) is harder than your hustle, my ride is doper than your ride, etc. Then once you make an enemy by damaging someones ego by telling them they are less superior to you, violence eventually ensues. It's essentially a more violent and twisted version of "keeping up with the Jones".

Pair that up with the other dominant mindset of "I don't give a f*ck about anything" attitude (like breaking the law, not contributing to society, leaving women as single mothers etc.) and you have a recipe for disaster.
I still think it is really only about 10% of the black population. Maybe even 5%. Problem is, that small percentage gets the press all the time. What about the other 90-95% that get no press? Just quietly living their lives and watching the news all the time. It has to be tough on them to see that every day.

I was driving in East Liberty the other day and saw a bunch of teenage black kids dressed for success and walking around all over the place. There are kids that are not in gangs and living that drug riddled life. They have to be some strong kids to actually wear nice clothes right in the middle of East Liberty. No paints down to their ankles or the "i don't care" look, but just VERY well dressed and sharp. They all were smiling and I couldn't help to think if East Liberty was full of well dressed youth like that, how it would effect the "image" that so many suburban people have of the region.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I still think it is really only about 10% of the black population. Maybe even 5%.
Statistics show that in major cities in America (NY, LA, Chicago etc.) 80% of all young blacks have criminal records.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:52 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Statistics show that in major cities in America (NY, LA, Chicago etc.) 80% of all young blacks have criminal records.
Come on! 80%? That can't be right. I am going to look that up, but if you have a link I will take it. That has to be some stat from "storm front" or some nutty website for crazies.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:52 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I still think it is really only about 10% of the black population. Maybe even 5%. Problem is, that small percentage gets the press all the time. What about the other 90-95% that get no press? Just quietly living their lives and watching the news all the time. It has to be tough on them to see that every day.

I was driving in East Liberty the other day and saw a bunch of teenage black kids dressed for success and walking around all over the place. There are kids that are not in gangs and living that drug riddled life. They have to be some strong kids to actually wear nice clothes right in the middle of East Liberty. No paints down to their ankles or the "i don't care" look, but just VERY well dressed and sharp. They all were smiling and I couldn't help to think if East Liberty was full of well dressed youth like that, how it would effect the "image" that so many suburban people have of the region.

Very true! It's a very tricky path that the kids who are trying to avoid the nonsense have to tred. Some will effect the "thuggish look" to try to fit in, although they are not thugs them selves. Of course this makes it look like there are more thugs than there actually are. Many of the thugs are kids they grew up with, and they still have to associate with them to some degree, lest they become targets for abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh