Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:02 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

There are formulas agencies use to derive an estimated monetary value of human lives. It sounds horrible, but the idea is ultimately to help figure out where our resources can best be used to improve health and safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 08:06 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
There is a 9 foot pipe for runoff and that road usually is in good working order. It was clear as a bell last night. It is a terrible tragedy for certain, but you cannot protect the public from everything. I mean cars were thrown about on Ellsworth in this rain. That is one heck of a force. I think it is best to look at something like this like a tornado or hurricane. It is nature and you can't fix all it has to offer up. It still amazes me how fast this water must have risen. It is a shame people didn't start making U-turns and getting out of the low lying area, but I suspect they were in disbelief something like that could happen until it was too late. It is sort of hard to get my mind around. I think I will be in the left lane durning heavy rain down that way in the future. If I see huge water pulls forming, I am making that U-turn and going to take a different route.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:45 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
But this is the first time in a long time that I can recall any flash flood-related fatalities in Pittsburgh. Floods might happen once in a while, but fatalities are rare.
Well, you do make a good point here. If this really is that rare of an incident then I agree, most people who see it on the news will probably quickly forget. I guess I just had a powerful reaction from seeing it on the news myself. It really was disturbing to see Washington Blvd. look that way, and to hear this dreadful news.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
There are formulas agencies use to derive an estimated monetary value of human lives. It sounds horrible, but the idea is ultimately to help figure out where our resources can best be used to improve health and safety.
Only agencies businesses don't like have to use these formulas. EPA has to use these formulas; OSHA has to use these formulas; MSHA has to use these formulas. If DHHS had to use these formulas, you'd be able to carry liquid on a plane and buy marijuana. I imagine PennDOT/ALCOSAN falls somewhere along the lines of EPA/OSHA/MSHA.

BTW, kind of funny how the Alcosan dude said nothing can carry 2" of rain in 37 minutes. By coastal standards, that ain't nothing. Now 28" of rain in 24 hours, that's a bit hard to deal with...

Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I was in both of those storms, last month I was able to avoid Wash Blvd by snaking through East Liberty to Lawrenceville and then over the 40th Street bridge to Route 8. When I found myself working in Point Breeze on Friday I decided to get out by 4 PM, and figured I better avoid Wash Blvd. Turned out to be a good decision. Snaked through East Liberty, sat while a few clowns drove into puddles of water only to stall out. When it started to recede a bunch of us rode the median strip to get past the water, went through Morningside without any problem. I had to be in NY by 8:15 and was so ticked off about being delayed that the I never heard the news of the 4 people killed until Saturday afternoon. Stupid me. Who knows what happened to that women and her kids in the SUV? It's easy to armchair quaterback, but the way that water rose so quickly I doubt she had a chance.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 PM

632 posts, read 1,740,133 times
So apparently this isn't actually a new situation after all:

Flooding A Decades-Old Problem For Washington Boulevard « CBS Pittsburgh

The article says that the city is considering putting up barricades and warning lights on Washington Blvd., similar to those found at railroad crossings.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:56 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's also bad for attracting people to move there.
Oh give me a break...

Old 08-22-2011, 08:57 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Oh give me a break...
Great. Now I want a Kit-Kat bar, and all of the stores are closed!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:06 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
It was a freak accident, pure and simple.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
So apparently this isn't actually a new situation after all:

Flooding A Decades-Old Problem For Washington Boulevard « CBS Pittsburgh

The article says that the city is considering putting up barricades and warning lights on Washington Blvd., similar to those found at railroad crossings.
Thank you for posting this! I have been standing on my soap box for days here. Finally, validation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh