Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:49 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times

Advertisements

From what I've seen only

LA
Chicago
NYC
LV

have more running pages....I guess we've turned this into a real community discussion here, not just a source for Newbies to gain info like some other city threads I've noticed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Yup. Another way you can tell is by how many people who do not actually live in Pittsburgh enjoy participating. Maybe so many different people enjoy talking about Pittsburgh because it's fun to watch cities that are emerging from bad times into a renaissance/growth period.

My home forum is one of the "source for Newbies to gain info" forums. That's cool--lots of people happen to be moving there and need to know basic things. But the downside of serving lots of people moving in is that most of our posters are transitional. Once they find the apartment, the grocery store, and the DMV they're too busy exploring a new town to spend time on a forum. I enjoy helping them out but sometimes it does seem to be the same old questions asked over and over. The Pittsburgh forum, OTOH, has a great group of regulars who have been talking with each other for years, and the variety of topics is a refreshing change from the same old "where is the dentist" type of question.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Rust Belt Chic strikes again.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:43 AM

443 posts, read 600,752 times
Must be a lot of people who like to argue about crap on internet forums.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,950 times
Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Must be a lot of people who like to argue about crap on internet forums.

Yep! Fun to go trolling on occassion to see what you'll catch, too.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:27 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Some things I've noticed about the Pittsburgh sub-forum:

1.) With few exceptions (i.e. some recent disputes that include BrianTH vs. h_curtis, yours truly vs. h_curtis, etc.) MOST of the members who regularly participate on this sub-forum are cordial and can disagree with a great deal of civility. Yac has to get involved every now and then to slap us around with his cyber-moderation stick, but given how much traffic this sub-forum sees his job is probably easier here than in some sub-forums with much less traffic that have much higher numbers of conflicts.

2.) This sub-forum serves as an intellectual nexus. I feel "smart" posting here. I learn a new word every week, read about ways I can expand my culinary pallete, envision various nooks and crannies of the metro area as described through the words of others, enjoy photo tours, and can intelligently discuss economic development-related news.

3.) We're diverse in terms of age (albeit we're mostly white and mostly males, but I digress). There are a couple "yinzer"-types who give this place a cozy ambiance, there are some intellectual DINKs whom I admire, there are some college-aged individuals who make me feel young, and there are pioneering newbies such as myself who are enthralled with the city, amongst many others.

4.) We're a helpful bunch. A potential new resident normally need only wait a few hours to garner no fewer than a half-dozen divergent perspectives on an inquiry. Most of us are enthusiastic about Western PA, and we're not afraid to showcase that abundant civic pride.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:12 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
To me, this place has some of the most interesting discussions of all c-d forums, often on a level you simply can't get in Politics or even in Great Debates. I really enjoy reading through threads that contain actual discussions, in most other places things get too personal too soon.
Yac.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:03 AM

354 posts, read 475,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
4.) We're a helpful bunch. A potential new resident normally need only wait a few hours to garner no fewer than a half-dozen divergent perspectives on an inquiry. Most of us are enthusiastic about Western PA, and we're not afraid to showcase that abundant civic pride.
I am convinced you are going to ruin the "secret", and really mess up my future mortgage.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
I think it also says more people are interested in moving here.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:15 PM

57 posts, read 129,350 times
And I moved away from Pgh. in 1984 and love to check out the forum to see what's going on in a very interesting city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh