Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:31 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Huh. I was thinking he had that 1992 Everlast flow.
That means he rocks mad styles and hops turnstiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 11:45 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times
This thread won't die. So I may as well post. This kid is lousy, but I wish him well as he seems to be a fine youngster and he is from Pittsburgh. Not my brand of music, so as they say, to each his own.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:54 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
This thread won't die. So I may as well post. This kid is lousy, but I wish him well as he seems to be a fine youngster and he is from Pittsburgh. Not my brand of music, so as they say, to each his own.
So how can you say that the kid is lousy when you admit that its the whole genre you don't like? Lousy at what exactly? Singing??? lol he's a rapper for god sakes, people who don't like rap will just never understand.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I don't like rap, either, but I think he's actually a rather able songwriter. If you can get past the rapaciousness, you might notice it, too. I'd like to hear some songs by him that aren't about Moderator cut: what they are about. Let's leave the more graphic details out, ok ?

Last edited by Yac; 09-20-2011 at 02:11 AM..

Old 09-19-2011, 01:54 PM

472 posts, read 626,684 times
The word Youngster should cease to exist.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:51 PM

How Wiz Khalifa, Mac Miller and Girl Talk became the new face of the music scene

Quote:
The most recent issue of XXL Magazine, a leading hip-hop publication, not only has Mac on the cover as part of the 2011 Freshman Class, it has a page devoted to Pittsburgh as the Freshman City, deeming it "hip-hop's latest hot spot."

Before that, it was loooow profile.

"I'm not so familiar with Pittsburgh in general, especially the music scene," says XXL editor Vanessa Satten. "Wiz and Mac make the city more relevant than it has been in a long time, if ever, which is a great thing for the music genre because it brings a new location, cast of character and artists, sound and feel to the music, like Toronto did last year and Houston did a few years ago. I look forward to seeing what else comes from Pittsburgh because with Mac and Wiz you already can see the diversity in the music. It's exciting."

Ryan Dombal, an editor at the taste-making music site Pitchfork, says, "Honestly, I didn't have much of a perception of Pittsburgh music before Girl Talk or Wiz came out. So they didn't change it as much as they introduced me to the idea in general. And, based on those acts' music, the scene seems pretty fun-loving -- and possibly weed-friendly."

As can be seen from the article, music is one of many ways that Pittsburgh is becoming relevant in the world again. And like I said before, it doesn't matter if you these artists or their music... the fact is they are becoming hugely popular and generating tons of outside interest in Pittsburgh due to the fact they rep it in almost all of their songs.

More young people are sorely needed here, so anything that gives them an image of Pittsburgh as being cool and relevant is a great thing. It means the young person that would have immediately refused a job offer in the past "because it's in Pittsburgh", now might actually contemplate the idea of moving here.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
So how can you say that the kid is lousy when you admit that its the whole genre you don't like? Lousy at what exactly? Singing??? lol he's a rapper for god sakes, people who don't like rap will just never understand.
Why do fans of rap get defensive when other people say they don't like it? Nuwaver said he was lousy. That's his opinion. I'm sure there are other forms of music you don't like.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Why do fans of rap get defensive when other people say they don't like it? Nuwaver said he was lousy. That's his opinion. I'm sure there are other forms of music you don't like.
I don't call country artists terrible because I don't understand the genre enough to make an educated comment about the artist's talents. I do hate country though. This is mostly a pointless issue though.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:22 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I like that the image of Pittsburgh promoted by these acts is that it is a fun-loving place.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:20 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I like that the image of Pittsburgh promoted by these acts is that it is a fun-loving place.
I agree, it helps shatter the image that we're steel mill trolls who only like football. Although there are still Yinzers that moan because rappers talk about smoking pot (as if they didn't toke up in the 70's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh