U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-24-2011, 06:33 AM
gg gg started this thread
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,750 posts, read 20,719,064 times
Reputation: 14074

Advertisements

There used to be one at Steedle's in Millvale, but it broke and the part to fix it was too expensive I guess. That was many years ago. Is there any place that has a real soda fountain? Meaning they have on soda dispenser and they add the syrup by hand.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2011, 07:12 AM
 
Location: North Oakland
9,154 posts, read 9,425,318 times
Reputation: 14422
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
There used to be one at Steedle's in Millvale, but it broke and the part to fix it was too expensive I guess. That was many years ago. Is there any place that has a real soda fountain? Meaning they have on soda dispenser and they add the syrup by hand.
Klavon's at 2801 Penn Ave. klavons

Has Steedle's closed? I heard it had, but I'm never up there during business hours.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 07:31 AM
gg gg started this thread
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,750 posts, read 20,719,064 times
Reputation: 14074
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Klavon's at 2801 Penn Ave. klavons

Has Steedle's closed? I heard it had, but I'm never up there during business hours.
Wow, I was there once for ice cream and wasn't happy with that because it was just some store bought stuff with gum, but I didn't know they had a soda fountain there. Thanks. I wanted to just get a Coke made the old fashioned way because last I remembered it was so much better.

I don't know if Steedle's is closed. It was, but might have reopened with a new owner, but I am not sure.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 08:20 AM
 
Location: North Oakland
9,154 posts, read 9,425,318 times
Reputation: 14422
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Wow, I was there once for ice cream and wasn't happy with that because it was just some store bought stuff with gum, but I didn't know they had a soda fountain there. Thanks. I wanted to just get a Coke made the old fashioned way because last I remembered it was so much better.

I don't know if Steedle's is closed. It was, but might have reopened with a new owner, but I am not sure.
Yeah, the ice cream itself is nothing to write home about, but I like being able to get an ice cream soda. I only go twice a year with my friend the cheapskate, who buys those coupon books Klavon's advertises in.

You may appreciate this. On another forum I read, someone tried to make the case for using xanthan gum to thicken tomato sauce for pasta.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 08:27 AM
gg gg started this thread
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,750 posts, read 20,719,064 times
Reputation: 14074
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Yeah, the ice cream itself is nothing to write home about, but I like being able to get an ice cream soda. I only go twice a year with my friend the cheapskate, who buys those coupon books Klavon's advertises in.

You may appreciate this. On another forum I read, someone tried to make the case for using xanthan gum to thicken tomato sauce for pasta.
I am down to one ice cream I like (HD) because of the gum craze, but I really like the old soda fountains. I remember just having a Coke at one down in Florida and the Coke was the best I ever had. Don't know if it will be the same experience at Klavon's or not, but I want to try sometime.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 09:43 AM
 
Location: North Oakland
9,154 posts, read 9,425,318 times
Reputation: 14422
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I really like the old soda fountains.
I miss the one at the corner of Northumberland and Asbury.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 12:01 PM
 
346 posts, read 483,606 times
Reputation: 205
Funny story Mr. Klavon the owner of that ice cream shop was my old art teacher.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 12:15 PM
 
409 posts, read 921,642 times
Reputation: 145
what are you guys talking about, ice cream with "gum"?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 12:22 PM
gg gg started this thread
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,750 posts, read 20,719,064 times
Reputation: 14074
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
what are you guys talking about, ice cream with "gum"?
That is one of my peeves. Companies like ben and jerrys thinking they are all high and mighty and then you look at the ingredients and you see some sort of gum in their ice cream. They need that due to lack of quality and stabilization of milk. Look at Häagen-Dazs and you will see ice cream ingredients like in the 50's. That is all. Almost all so called ice cream makers are junk. Gotta make it yourself or it is all air and filled with crap.

Anyway, I am glad there is one soda fountain in the burg.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 12:24 PM
 
Location: North Oakland
9,154 posts, read 9,425,318 times
Reputation: 14422
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
what are you guys talking about, ice cream with "gum"?
Guar gum and carageenan are used as "stabilizers" in most ice cream. They make it hold its shape after air is blown into it during manufacture. It's especially helpful when grocers' freezers konk out, causing ice cream to defrost, then refrost again when the freezer goes back on. Presumably it precludes the incidence of crystals forming.

Unfortunately, some of us find its texture to be absolutely nasty. I knew within two bites that Breyer's had switched to using something similar, taro root gum. It's all but inedible to me now. B&J's will occasionally make a flavor I like, but it's very rare.

The only ice cream I buy is Haagen-Dazs, which has so far resisted the urge to ruin their ice cream with stabilizers. But they don't put air in their ice cream, either, so there's not the motivation.

A telltale sign that your ice cream has stabilizers is that you get thirsty after eating it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top