Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:31 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,492 times

Advertisements

Great pictures! I too love the older style houses. Those two story homes with three windows on the 2nd floor...are they unique to Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 08:42 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not going to get in one of your p****** contests, Brian, but I felt it was snarky.
I'm trying to cut off a p***** contest before it gets started.

It may have been snarky, but the point I was making is it wasn't directed to you and doesn't imply anything about you.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
Those two story homes with three windows on the 2nd floor...are they unique to Pittsburgh?
I'm not sure which ones you are referring to, but you might be talking about Hulley Houses:

Regent Square Hulley Houses

The basic model as described in that article didn't have a third-story dormer and instead could have three windows on the second floor.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:48 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not going to get in one of your p****** contests, Brian, but I felt it was snarky.
How on earth was my comment "snarky"? What was snarky was what the poster wrote "I will never complain about my condo again, I will never complain about my condo again...." In other words, "I could be stuck living in that." People who are from the sunbelt don't always know that many people like old, dense, somewhat weathered cities, as opposed to places where everything was built in the last 30 years.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:53 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'm not sure which ones you are referring to, but you might be talking about Hulley Houses:

Regent Square Hulley Houses

The basic model as described in that article didn't have a third-story dormer and instead could have three windows on the second floor.
I think she may be referring to the large number of two story, three bay rowhouses pictured

Old 09-01-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I think she may be referring to the large number of two story, three bay rowhouses pictured
In that case the answer is very much no (two-story Federal-style rowhouses are very common in American rowhouse neighborhoods).

Edit: Incidentally, I was referring to this picture:

That looks like a row version of Hulley Houses, although I am not actually sure that is a proper description.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:58 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,492 times
Quote:
Yes. Those are the ones I'm talking about.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
How on earth was my comment "snarky"? What was snarky was what the poster wrote "I will never complain about my condo again, I will never complain about my condo again...." In other words, "I could be stuck living in that." People who are from the sunbelt don't always know that many people like old, dense, somewhat weathered cities, as opposed to places where everything was built in the last 30 years.
I'm going to have trouble explaining this in writing, and probably nothing I post will be taken in the spirit in which it is intended, but. . .

It sounded as if you were saying that people "back east" are on some higher level than others.

I don't know where in Cali that person lives, but trust me, California wasn't all built in the last 30 years (since 1981). It began booming about 65 years ago, right after WW II. LA is dense, and has some very dense suburbs. They build on tiny lots out there (unless you're a movie star).

I think it would have been helpful to use that post as a "teachable moment" instead.

Just my 2c.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,514 times
Some of those pictures must be at least a decade old, West Coast Video hasn't been on Liberty in a long time.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:08 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Eastern cities have a higher population density due to the fact there is less buildable land. At one time Hartford had a lot of row houses just like Pittsburgh but they got bulldozed for urban renewal projects in the 1960's. But most of the old 3 family houses in the city still exist as a reminder to how densely built up the neighborhoods were. At its peak population in the 1950's Hartford had over 10,000 people per square mile. Boston had nearly 17,000 people spread out over its 49 square miles of land during that decade. And Pittsburgh's population also peaked that decade with 676,000 people living on 55 miles of land which translates to more than 12,200 people per square mile. The latter fact is based upon the assumption that the City of Pittsburgh has not annexed any land since that decade. I am not familiar with land annexation in PA and can only guess that Pittsburgh has the same borders as it did in the 1950's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh