Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:36 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yeah, being in the East End makes this harder to detect, but I could swear I have seen more out of state license plates in places like Monroeville too (subject to the qualification above that I don't really trust myself entirely on this issue).
Shopping in Robinson -- where lots of Ohio and West Virginia plates have always been the norm -- I see Oklahoma and Texas all the time now too. My new neighbors are from Utah. I don't know if Pitt has done something specifically to attract BYU undergrads to grad school here, but my neighborhood seems to be popular with married Mormon grad students. They are the second family in that house and I know a lot of their friends also live in the neighborhood and in Dormont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 10:38 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
where lots of Ohio and West Virginia plates have always been the norm
And I think this is common because people come to shop in PA where there's no sales tax on clothes and shoes.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:04 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And I think this is common because people come to shop in PA where there's no sales tax on clothes and shoes.
Yep. And that's a convenient location for folks just over both state lines with so many stores concentrated in a small area.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:23 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Yep. And that's a convenient location for folks just over both state lines with so many stores concentrated in a small area.
I'd also think that Pittsburgh is the closest place for a lot of certain stores for people in Ohio and WV that are more specialty because they do not have the market that Pittsburgh does for certain things or income even. Along with that though, I must say I have been noticing a lot more out of state plates in the area over the past year or two. Now whether these are just visitors and gas workers or people actually moving here remains to be seen. I do have family in Plum that said an older retired couple who just moved down to Arizona was replaced by a family of 7 who moved here so the wife could teach at the Western PA School for the Deaf so maybe those plates are from people moving here.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:45 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Quote:
It's the closest large shopping area for people in the Steubenville/Weirton area. I used to be able to get there in about 1/2 hour, which is probably a shorter drive than for most of the in-state shoppers.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:40 PM

23 posts, read 45,143 times
I'm a proud owner of a ohio liscense plate as i reside here in Shadyside, haha. I have been seeing a ton of other Ohio plates as well...makes the transition a little easier I guess! I have no idea the laws about getting an updated Penn. plate and officially join the majority...I gotta look into that.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:47 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurito View Post
I'm a proud owner of a ohio liscense plate as i reside here in Shadyside, haha. I have been seeing a ton of other Ohio plates as well...makes the transition a little easier I guess! I have no idea the laws about getting an updated Penn. plate and officially join the majority...I gotta look into that.
You are supposed to do it within 20 days:

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - New Residents

I can't imagine that most people make that deadline, but that's the rule.

Edit: In fact looking at that page, I was reminded you have 60 days to get a PA DL, but you need a PA ID to register your car. As they point out there is nothing stopping from from getting a PA DL in time to register your car within the 20 days, but I will bet you dollars to donuts that most people take a lot longer to get their PA DL, and then deal with their car after that.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
I work in Oakland, so usually when I see an influx of out-of-state plates it means that school's back in session.
I've been noticing this for a while, even throughout the summer. Just thought to mention it today.

I'm in the northern suburbs, not near any major shopping areas. It's really odd to see WA, OK, OR or TX plates at convenience stores. I've given many of them directions to places like ice cream places and dry cleaners. I even flagged one down the other day, noticably lost driving around my neighborhood, to help them find their way. They're definitely transplants.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:27 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Within 20 days of "establishing residency". That bit is somewhat fungible.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:35 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Within 20 days of "establishing residency". That bit is somewhat fungible.
Possibly, although if you took the standard legal definitions seriously, you become a resident as soon as you start living here for an indefinite or extended period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh