Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

I visited the market this Sunday and must say it was very small and pretty expensive. Also, I wasn't thrilled about every both hard selling me on their products. I have a feeling the place isn't going to make it. Too bad, but I wasn't that comfortable hearing someone trying to sell me everything every turn I made. It was worse than a used car lot as far as that part. Some of the products were pretty good, but the costs were really high. East End Brewery had a growler fill up place there. That was okay, even though I am not a huge fan of his style of beer.

I really wanted to support and be thrilled about the place because I love the idea of it, but that little place probably will be short lived. It is noting like the place in Cleveland and in that tiny building will never be much.

I am bummed about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 11:26 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
The Grand Bazaar in Istanbul also had a very short run for similar reasons (vendors being too pushy).

It is indeed small, however. Of course it just started, and is more of a complement than a replacement for the Strip anyway.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The Grand Bazaar in Istanbul also had a very short run for similar reasons (vendors being too pushy).

It is indeed small, however. Of course it just started, and is more of a complement than a replacement for the Strip anyway.
I will be truthful, the vendors were so pushy that I might not go back. I might pick up some liver though. It is so hard to find good liver for $5 a pound or under. I prefer organic fed cows for my liver, which I can't find in a big chain. I drove up to Saxonburg to get liver the other day and also picked up some corned beef. That was VERY good and a better price.

Oh well, maybe some people don't mind the pushy vendors. If it was real crowded, it might not be as bad, but it was pretty slow.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Go back during late spring or summer, should be better, more stuff, more people. Although I don't know that personally. My first visit was a few weeks ago. Of course once we're in growing season you can get local produce at many farmers markets so you don't necessarily have to trek to the Strip. But I like some of the other vendors at the Public Market. The marshmallow guy is a hoot. Pittsburgh Marshmallow Factory

FWIW I didn't find it to be a hard sell. The vendors were certainly enthusiastic about stuff and many have samples they would love you to try. (Very tempted by the oil and vinegar place because of this.) But with fewer people it does mean they are more likely to talk to YOU instead of being already busy talking to someone else. If you don't like them all talking to you a more impersonal store is perhaps a better option. (Honestly, I don't always want them to talk to me either, but I don't mind too much in the case of that place.)

Old 03-21-2011, 12:12 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Which vendors were pushy? The only one I get hassled by is the Indian girl who tries to sell me food, but she is still very nice about it.

One of the best things about the Market is that it increased the popularity of East End Brewing two-fold.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Which vendors were pushy? The only one I get hassled by is the Indian girl who tries to sell me food, but she is still very nice about it.

One of the best things about the Market is that it increased the popularity of East End Brewing two-fold.
Pushy might not be the best word, because everyone was nice. Yes, the Indian lady was pretty into it. The bakery lady in the second row on the end was wanting to sell and asked me more than once if I wanted to buy things. I am not saying anyone was rude, but I guess I just like to look in peace and ask questions if I want to. I will probably go back and get liver.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:24 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Never ran into the bakery lady there which might be a good thing. The Jamaican lady's food is really good and I really enjoy Pittsburgh Marshmellow Factory as well.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:50 PM

I liked the Jamaican lady's food. Tasted a little Jerk chicken. Everyone was very nice though, it was a little pricy for me. If you don't mind spending, it would be fine. Guess I am on a budget and I wanted so much to be able to afford it. I can't afford Whole Foods anymore either, so it is Trader Joes for me. How much is the lottery up to these days? lol

Old 03-21-2011, 12:58 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Pushy might not be the best word....
no, i think you stated it accurately. i've experienced that, too. and yea, its small.

i dont know what to make of it. i think it might be successful, but i probably wouldnt think to gravitate in that direction by habit if im shopping for food or produce on Penn.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:16 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Guess I am on a budget and I wanted so much to be able to afford it. I can't afford Whole Foods anymore either, so it is Trader Joes for me.
What next? Section 8?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh