Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:23 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times

Advertisements

Not sure why this is in the Pittsburgh sub-forum but small towns with big hospitals in PA (both these are in area code 570) include Sayre (Guthrie) right on the PA/NY border, and Danville (Geisinger) in eastern PA. Small towns with big VA hospitals (government benefits) include Bath, NY, and (small town to some folks but not necessarily by McKean Cty standards) Lebanon, PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That is absolutely NOT true. Although PA and NY are not participating Compact Licensure states, nurses can still obtain additional licenses (i.e. have multiple licenses) to work in multiple states at the same time.
Gosh, yes! I always kept my PA license both for sentimental reasons and b/c it's where I took my boards. (This was back in the old days, BTW.) I did finally let it lapse a couple years ago b/c the computer blew my renewal away and I decided I'd never be working in PA again. I have had licenses at the same time in numerous other states, including (in alphabetical order) California, Colorado, Delaware, Illinois and New York. Sometimes I've had three at one time, e.g. moved and had to get a new one before the old one expired, plus the PA.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:19 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Not sure why this is in the Pittsburgh sub-forum
??
Because the OP put it here.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:32 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RN Looking View Post
In the past two months I have lost my pension, that is taken away, our insurance premium has gone up, and two weeks after that we found out that we know have huge deductibles on our insurance. If I even as an employee were to get sick and be admitted to my facility it would be $1500 deductible and then they only cover 90%. .

How do you get a deductible that low and with 90%!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:35 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
??
Because the OP put it here.
And McKean County and the City of Dubois are in Western Pennsylvania to begin with...

Old 09-06-2011, 05:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
How do you get a deductible that low and with 90%!
There are better plans are out there. AGH employees have great benefits. No copays and a $500 deductible.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,562 times
I live in Vienna Virginia about 12 miles west of Downtown Washington DC, I was born in Greensburg PA and grew up in Jeannette, PA. About 7 years ago I decided I need a get away place from the stress and traffic of living in the Washington DC area. I knew someday I wanted to retire to some place familiar lower cost of living less traffic etc. So I bought a house in Mt. Pleasant PA, I weighed all of my options and factors before I decided I wanted a house in Mt. Pleasant, PA 15666. I love the town very friendly family oriented, Vibrant downtown and communty. Traffic is stress free, lots of great restuarants, Grocery stores, shopping health care etc churches all close by. Very easy access to major highways, the PA turnpike, ski resorts etc. The one factor I thought about making my choice is I wanted a place to retire that if someday I couldn't drive far for health reasons I would be close to amenties and business. I found a great house 4 blocks from downtown Mt. Pleasant and I am close to everything I need or want when I get older. .......I do have to agree Frick Hospital (which I haven't had to use) Is okay for minor things, but any major surgery etc I would go to one of the hospitals in Pittsburgh, but I heard that Latrobe Hospital which is part of Excel Health Systems is good. Also, Frick Hosptial has a helicopter port for transporting in an emergency that they can't handle to other hospitals. Pittsburgh Airport is pretty far away but Latrobe Arnold Palmer airport does offer flights to Myrtle Beach and Florida I think and is expanding it service to other areas soon and the Airport seems to be doing well.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:34 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demarck15666 View Post
I live in Vienna Virginia about 12 miles west of Downtown Washington DC, I was born in Greensburg PA and grew up in Jeannette, PA. About 7 years ago I decided I need a get away place from the stress and traffic of living in the Washington DC area. I knew someday I wanted to retire to some place familiar lower cost of living less traffic etc. So I bought a house in Mt. Pleasant PA, I weighed all of my options and factors before I decided I wanted a house in Mt. Pleasant, PA 15666. I love the town very friendly family oriented, Vibrant downtown and communty. Traffic is stress free, lots of great restuarants, Grocery stores, shopping health care etc churches all close by. Very easy access to major highways, the PA turnpike, ski resorts etc. The one factor I thought about making my choice is I wanted a place to retire that if someday I couldn't drive far for health reasons I would be close to amenties and business. I found a great house 4 blocks from downtown Mt. Pleasant and I am close to everything I need or want when I get older. .......I do have to agree Frick Hospital (which I haven't had to use) Is okay for minor things, but any major surgery etc I would go to one of the hospitals in Pittsburgh, but I heard that Latrobe Hospital which is part of Excel Health Systems is good. Also, Frick Hosptial has a helicopter port for transporting in an emergency that they can't handle to other hospitals. Pittsburgh Airport is pretty far away but Latrobe Arnold Palmer airport does offer flights to Myrtle Beach and Florida I think and is expanding it service to other areas soon and the Airport seems to be doing well.
Frick is also part of Excela Health. Many of the same doctors that cover Latrobe work in Mt Pleasant (and Greensburg) too.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:48 AM

81 posts, read 162,795 times
RN: I lived in Dubois for 20 years and am also a nurse. I was never one who enjoyed working in hospitals but I can tell you this much; if i were ever get sick enough to have to be put in a hospital, i wouldnt want it to be DRMC, alot of the time patients are transferred from there to better hospitals like the ones here in pittsburgh; aside from that, anywhere in dubois or the health field for that matter is filled with long stressful hours, doctors and managers who dont care (which is why im no longer in the health field!). Since you already have property there, join up on the godubois forum and get opinions from other nurses from the area who actually do work at the hospital. Good Luck.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:01 PM

225 posts, read 323,807 times
I would look into Heritage Valley Health System in Beaver. I also second the notion of Greensburg and Excela Health being a good option. Both Heritage and Excel operate in smaller towns.

I'm personally of the opinion that UPMC is the evil empire. Almost across the board from patients to employees nobody ever says anything good about them. I would also be concerned about affiliating with any WPAHS hospital as they are still on shaky ground regardless of the Highmark merger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh