Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,200 times

Advertisements

I am from Northwestern PA, born and raised, and still living in McKean county. My current town is so small we don't even have a stop light. I work at a local hospital and have found that since the merger of two hospitals there is no competition in this area. I feel stuck. In the past two months I have lost my pension, that is taken away, our insurance premium has gone up, and two weeks after that we found out that we know have huge deductibles on our insurance. If I even as an employee were to get sick and be admitted to my facility it would be $1500 deductible and then they only cover 90%. I own property in Du Bois area and have considered that area as I love the small town feel. However, I don't know much about DRMC, so if anyone has any information on what it is like to work there I would appreciate it.

My husband and two boys who at the moment are in 8th and 6th grade would love a place that is near some good fishing, as they love to walleye fish. I am okay with moving to anywhere in Pennsylvania and New York as I have both licenses living right next to the pa/ny state line. My husband will be graduating this coming may and will be sitting for his boards to be a registered nurse also.

So basically we need a small town with good schools, and a great hospital where employees like to work at.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 05:51 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Mount Pleasant PA could work for you.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RN Looking View Post
I am okay with moving to anywhere in Pennsylvania and New York as I have both licenses living right next to the pa/ny state line.
Firstly, there are others on here that will better help you with your questions, but I wanted to point out that having two different state licenses is against the law. You might want to let one expire.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Firstly, there are others on here that will better help you with your questions, but I wanted to point out that having two different state licenses is against the law. You might want to let one expire.
That is absolutely NOT true. Although PA and NY are not participating Compact Licensure states, nurses can still obtain additional licenses (i.e. have multiple licenses) to work in multiple states at the same time.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:31 AM

7 posts, read 4,521 times
Westmoreland Hospital in dahntahn Greensburg is a decent hospital and you can get the small town feel.

You can also look into Altoona and Johnstown but driving through J-town yesterday was pretty depressing.

Their heritage museum and children's museum was really nice and we checked out the heritage festival but, the overall area still seems depressed.

Conemaugh health system is a pretty good one though.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:23 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Mount Pleasant PA could work for you.
I would agree; Frick Hospital is located in Mt.Pleasant. From what I know of it, it's a nice old town, with a still vibrant business district. It's close to I-70, and to Greensburg, as well as the Laurel Highlands.
I don't know anything about the school district, however.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,200 times
Thanks everyone, trying to decide where to relocate to is a huge undertaking. Will check out that area as my brother lived down that way for a few years while his wife went to school to be a physician assistant. He lived in Latrobe and worked in Greensburg, he liked it down there so it must be a pretty nice place in that area.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:35 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,150 times
As others mentioned, you might want to check into the Excela Health network, which has hospitals in Greensburg, Mt. Pleasant, and Latrobe. Currently, they list one hundred seventy-one job openings in the career section of their website: www.lah.com

In addition to the Greensburg/Hempfield area and Mt. Pleasant, you might want to look into the quaint little town of Ligionier, which isn't too far from the Latrobe hospital. You could also look at the Latrobe/Unity area for housing options.

I don't know much about the public school systems, but once you narrow down your search, I am sure that others could provide you with lots of insight.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That is absolutely NOT true. Although PA and NY are not participating Compact Licensure states, nurses can still obtain additional licenses (i.e. have multiple licenses) to work in multiple states at the same time.
I thought she was talking about driver's license. Ha ha ha, too funny.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:06 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,570 times
Greensburg is a nice small town but Excela as a health system is not necessarily the best in the region, if you really want a better quality hospital, I'd suggest checking out Forbes Regional out in Monroeville or even the new UPMC hospital that they're building next door... Irwin is perhaps the closest true small town from that area, and taking the turnpike up will get you there in about 15 minutes. Norwin School District is also one of the better ones in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh