Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSDC View Post
Wait..wait...so 5th avenue is UPTOWN?
like north of Forbes ave?

I thought that that was Hill too
This interactive map might help a bit--the Hill is made up of Crawford-Roberts, Bedford Dwellings, Middle Hill, Terrace Village, and Upper Hill, plus also the former Arena site, which is included in the Central Business District for obscure reasons:

Pittsburgh Map

Also, if you look at a topographic map (say on Google using the terrain feature), a lot of this will make more sense--for example, the "hill" in Hill District clearly rises up north of Fifth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 01:41 PM

875 posts, read 1,482,550 times
Agreed with Brian. The general, but not specific, boundary between Uptown and The Hill District seems to be Fifth Ave. Maybe you could put it at one block north of Fifth Ave. on Colwell St., but no further than that.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
Agreed with Brian. The general, but not specific, boundary between Uptown and The Hill District seems to be Fifth Ave. Maybe you could put it at one block north of Fifth Ave. on Colwell St., but no further than that.
This is one of those situations where the natural border is actually between two streets. The lots on the north side of Fifth are still in the "bluff" region, but then the hill starts rising up before you get to Colwell.

This is a streetview from Fifth right near the High School, and hopefully it is obvious what I mean:

pittsburgh - Google Maps

Looking back at the High School from Colwell, you can see how you are already part of the way up the hill:

pittsburgh - Google Maps

Note too that right across from the High School is Dinwiddie, which follows a valley that serves as one of the ways up the Hill from the Bluff.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:57 PM

227 posts, read 397,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
This is one of those situations where the natural border is actually between two streets. The lots on the north side of Fifth are still in the "bluff" region, but then the hill starts rising up before you get to Colwell.

This is a streetview from Fifth right near the High School, and hopefully it is obvious what I mean:

pittsburgh - Google Maps

Looking back at the High School from Colwell, you can see how you are already part of the way up the hill:

pittsburgh - Google Maps

Note too that right across from the High School is Dinwiddie, which follows a valley that serves as one of the ways up the Hill from the Bluff.
Thanks for the links.

I drove up Dinwiddle a few blocks, then drove around the area of abandoned Russian church...and then back down to high school.

Area behind high school along Forbes all the way to former Public Bath house is interesting.

Directly behind high school is still somewhat livable, some houses didnt look to bad...

And the proximity to downtown is just amazing....

I mean, its comparable to Georgetown to downtown DC, distance wise....

Old 09-07-2011, 10:30 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,354,506 times
Well Erin St is in the section of Crawford Roberts which doesn't typically make the news for anything bad, so I assume it's quiet... But it is two football throws away from Bedford Dwellings, and on the other end of the street is one of Centre Ave's big eye sores... Black Buety's Lounge/Bert's or what ever its called Bar... It attracts all kinds of people... Older, middle aged, younger, though a good deal of 'em who come to the bar/loiter outside on the block are druggies & achoolics. So I say you can find a safer place to live than in the Hill Districk

Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
And the proximity to downtown is just amazing...
Also Oakland.

It really surprised me when I first came here and eventually figured out the area between Downtown and Oakland wasn't prime real estate. I think the natural order is gradually asserting itself, but it has a long way to go yet.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:59 AM

227 posts, read 397,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Also Oakland.

It really surprised me when I first came here and eventually figured out the area between Downtown and Oakland wasn't prime real estate. I think the natural order is gradually asserting itself, but it has a long way to go yet.
The university area?
Thats were we stayed...

I could not live and put up with teenagers all day ))

Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
The university area?
Thats were we stayed...I could not live and put up with teenagers all day ))
Yeah, most of the residential parts of Oakland are student ghetto (but with some notable exceptions--for example, the Schenley Farms area is one of the most pleasant in the City).

But I was just referring to it as a job center--supposedly it is the third most important central business district in PA after downtown Philly and Downtown Pittsburgh, and certainly it is full of high-paying jobs (most, but not all, associated with the universities and hospitals). Literally full, in fact--the Class A vacancy rate there is essentially zero:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10056/1038419-28.stm

So as a Pittsburgh newcomer many years ago, I assumed there would be huge demand for living between Downtown and Oakland given the proximity to all the high-paying jobs. In fact, I assumed the highest-priced real estate would be the places with a view, meaning up on the Hill. Of course I was clued in eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh