Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 09:12 PM

128 posts, read 200,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
But then what happens when we want to tear it down to build ourselves one of these?
Bringing a little Cranberry down to the 'burgh, eh? I know someone who built a godawful McMansion in a nice, old neighborhood in McLean, VA. Took up two lots. I was embarrassed to even be seen walking in to it. I expect that level of classlessness in northern Virginia and am glad I don't see it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:18 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,048,581 times
Quote:
But then what happens when we want to tear it down to build ourselves one of these?

Yep, that's just what Regent Square needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madg0at View Post
Bringing a little Cranberry down to the 'burgh, eh? I know someone who built a godawful McMansion in a nice, old neighborhood in McLean, VA. Took up two lots. I was embarrassed to even be seen walking in to it. I expect that level of classlessness in northern Virginia and am glad I don't see it here!
Did you see the house on the west side of Braddock Ave. that was torn down to the foundation, and had a new house was built on top of it? Looks great, the vinyl siding was a nice touch, really adds character to the neighborhood.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:30 PM

128 posts, read 200,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Did you see the house on the west side of Braddock Ave. that was torn down to the foundation, and had a new house was built on top of it? Looks great, the vinyl siding was a nice touch, really adds character to the neighborhood.
Honestly, no, which block is it? I just moved in to the neighborhood in July so I have no historical knowledge (but I do have eyes and am slightly embarrassed that I can't recall it). Google Street View is a bit out of date and I couldn't find it just now.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,398,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirus226 View Post
obligitory pink and blue bathrooms:
Glad you kept your pink (and blue) bathrooms. In case you haven't seen this site yet, I guarantee you'll find it interesting:

Save The Pink Bathroom

Old 09-23-2011, 09:50 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,988,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Glad you kept your pink (and blue) bathrooms. In case you haven't seen this site yet, I guarantee you'll find it interesting:

Save The Pink Bathroom
I am considering painting my 1910s era kitchen pink. I also want to get a vintage stove.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:07 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,048,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madg0at View Post
Honestly, no, which block is it? I just moved in to the neighborhood in July so I have no historical knowledge (but I do have eyes and am slightly embarrassed that I can't recall it). Google Street View is a bit out of date and I couldn't find it just now.

I can't remember were's it at now, but I think it's on the corner of Charleston and Lancaster.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:18 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
I apologize for chiming in a bit later (working a 14-hour day will do that for you!), but I, too, wanted to congratulate Brian on having an absolutely lovely home! I bet if you told most people "I live in Wilkinsburg" a home like yours would be the last thing they'd be envisioning. For as historically significant and elegant as your home is, though, it's a bit too large for my own personal tastes. If I were to ever acquire a home of that stature I'd likely subdivide it for purposes of a bed & breakfast inn. I think one of those could work in Regent Square, actually, if you and the better half decide to be creative in your retirement, Brian.

I also wanted to thank others for finally having the courage to post some photos of their homes for all of us to enjoy. I'm probably one of the most widely-despised individuals on all of City-Data, yet a molotov cocktail has yet to come sailing through any of my windows here in Polish Hill. I can understand and respect others still having apprehensions, though.

How about we share our social security numbers in the next thread?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
To be honest it is too large for us too--two owners ago they raised something like 15 kids in the house (it was a Brady Bunch situation). We were looking for something bigger but not that big, but when we found out it was for sale and what they were asking, we kinda just had to do it.

Interestingly, while there are a few extra rooms added on places (e.g., you can see what we call the sun porch in the side pictures, there is a butler's pantry, and there is also a breakfast room and a study over it in the rear-middle), it has a sort of standard layout in the core sections, just every room is oversized (kitchen, dining room, living room on the first floor, four bedrooms on the second). And since the interior is mostly original, we would never be able to bring ourselves to subdivide it.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times
Quote:
The reverse-swastikas in question actually make some sense given the large circular tile on the wall near the doorway (last picture). That's a Fountain of Life (two peacocks on either side of what looks like a baptismal font). As you may recall, the reverse-swastikas were part of a set of various ancient crosses. So apparently whoever was choosing all this was really into old Christian iconography.
I didn't see the reverse swastikas picture in question.

But, I lived in South Korea for years, and a reverse swastika represented a Buddhist site/temple/church, etc. You'd see them all throughout Korea.

So, they have another meaning altogether here in Asia. Can't recall seeing them so commonplace in Japan though....but maybe the shock of seeing them everywhere in Korea wore off on me before moving to Japan.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I didn't see the reverse swastikas picture in question.
Here you go:

All the square inserts count as a cross of some sort. I actually found a reference once to a tile catalog from that period which apparently had a series of tiles like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh