Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 10:28 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,809,740 times

Advertisements

Amazing urban space happywithbraddock- I've always thought a commercial building like that would be the coolest thing to renovate and utilize all that space, while still having a bit of garden in the city. You've done a great job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 11:18 AM

472 posts, read 623,324 times
HAPPYWITHBRADDOCK ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME WITH THAT KITCHEN!!!!

It is incredible, the colors? Incredible all of it, well done!! That is my dream, to purchase a warehouse type property specifically one with at least one large garage door and turn it into a live/work space. Wow. really impressive, seriously!

I bought an old old stone single family home and renovated it, stripped it down to the studs and put it back together. Ready for a live/work space warehouse project.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:10 AM

73 posts, read 119,615 times
Thanks for the compliments. The thing I like best about Pittsburgh, and this thread, is the variety and quantity of the housing stock. House-envy is a regular occurrence for me as I drive around town.

irishvan, the color of the kitchen is cobalt blue milk paint, available from The Real Milk Paint Co. in Quakertown, PA. It has actual cobalt in it, so it changes color constantly.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:21 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,980,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywithbraddock View Post
Thanks for the compliments. The thing I like best about Pittsburgh, and this thread, is the variety and quantity of the housing stock. House-envy is a regular occurrence for me as I drive around town.

irishvan, the color of the kitchen is cobalt blue milk paint, available from The Real Milk Paint Co. in Quakertown, PA. It has actual cobalt in it, so it changes color constantly.
What the? Granted I don't know much about paints, but that quality is interesting. Cobalt.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:23 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,047,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywithbraddock View Post

Very cool place you have happywithbraddock.

Your kitchen reminds me of the movie, Weird Science.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:09 PM

73 posts, read 119,615 times
Stburr91, it's taken 3 years for ANYONE to get the inspiration for our kitchen. Well played! I've wanted a blue kitchen since I was in high school. But my wife balked at blue backsplashes and a wax "nanny" and "granpy" in the pantry.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:54 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,370 times
Stole this photo of my house in the War Streets from another thread recently brought back by alleghenyangel. It's the tan brick one in the center with the black trim (although that may change shortly if my wife can find another color/ scheme that she likes). I'll try and grab some of the interior and maybe a better close-up of the facade.
Attached Thumbnails
The "Show Off Your House" Pictures Thread!-p1010026yv5.jpg  

Old 09-22-2011, 10:39 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,986,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Stole this photo of my house in the War Streets from another thread recently brought back by alleghenyangel. It's the tan brick one in the center with the black trim (although that may change shortly if my wife can find another color/ scheme that she likes). I'll try and grab some of the interior and maybe a better close-up of the facade.
Okay, Lobick owns my dream house.

Do you know when it was built?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:22 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Okay, Lobick owns my dream house.

Do you know when it was built?
Don't have an extensive history on the house yet.

County assessment website lists 1900, but that's assuredly too late and is likely a place holder. The Hopkins map of 1872 has a structure on my lot with the outline of my home, without the later additions. The owner listed as "Dobie", the family that owned the house through the middle 20th century, so that's a good likely starting point for now.

Beyond that, I don't know...yet.

Here's the map:
maps:*1872p077*1872P077.TIF

Old 09-22-2011, 01:55 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,622,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Don't have an extensive history on the house yet.

County assessment website lists 1900, but that's assuredly too late and is likely a place holder. The Hopkins map of 1872 has a structure on my lot with the outline of my home, without the later additions. The owner listed as "Dobie", the family that owned the house through the middle 20th century, so that's a good likely starting point for now.

Beyond that, I don't know...yet.

Here's the map:
maps:*1872p077*1872P077.TIF
yeah, the assessment page seems to always be wrong for older houses. it lists my 1890s house as being built in 1908 and my neighbors' 1920s house as being built in 1905, which is obviously untrue just looking at the window placement on the 2 houses (we have windows facing them, they have none facing us).

if anyone wants a house history and doesn't have the time/inclination to do it themselves, there's a local woman who does them:

House historian unlocks doors to the past

even if you aren't interested in a house history, her business's facebook page has a lot of information about and photos of historic buildings:

//www.facebook.com/pages/Pittsb...63356233687884
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh