Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

This is just a passing thought...but throughout many Hollywood movies, you hear about 'soccer moms'.

Which made me think...do such things really exist in the Midwest or Appalachian region?

Is that basically a West Coast thing?

In Pittsburgh, is it popular for mom's to bring their kids to soccer practice? Maybe it's a suburban thing? Or is it a West Coast thing?

Anyone in Pittsburgh, play much soccer, or know kids who do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
I sure see a lot of soccer Moms in the East End.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:32 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,992 times
Unfortunately, yes. They are very real and match the stereotypes perfectly. Spend some time in Mt Lebanon and you'll see many of them.

At least a lot are hot though.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,965 times
Those evil soccer moms; how dare they drive their kids to youth sports! They should just let them sit on the couch and watch TV all day!

I'm pretty sure that stay-at-home moms have been driving their kids to youth sports since the advent of the family automobile. I don't understand why all of a sudden it is considered a bad thing.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:34 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
Those evil soccer moms; how dare they drive their kids to youth sports! They should just let them sit on the couch and watch TV all day!

I'm pretty sure that stay-at-home moms have been driving their kids to youth sports since the advent of the family automobile. I don't understand why all of a sudden it is considered a bad thing.
There's more to it than simple transportation, don't be obtuse.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:41 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
I've literally just walked in the door from my kids' soccer games, and my take on it is that the parents are no more or less enthusastic about the kids' sports than they were when I played little league baseball, many moons ago.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I've literally just walked in the door from my kids' soccer games, and my take on it is that the parents are no more or less enthusastic about the kids' sports than they were when I played little league baseball, many moons ago.
Really? Back when I was growing up, kids walked themselves to/from practice and parents rarely attended games. My sister was just talking about this the other day. I didn't even know she played softball when we were kids. She didn't even know that I was on swim team. I think we were better off too. Children gain confidence from having independence.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:

Actually, when I started the post, I was thinking more of the popularity of soccer, more than anything...

It just was unheard of where I grew up in the U.S. to play soccer.....but I guess now it's popular across the entire U.S. It use to always be baseball, football, and basketball (and even that one I still consider something more recent than the former two).

Old 09-10-2011, 10:02 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually, when I started the post, I was thinking more of the popularity of soccer, more than anything...

It just was unheard of where I grew up in the U.S. to play soccer.....but I guess now it's popular across the entire U.S. It use to always be baseball, football, and basketball (and even that one I still consider something more recent than the former two).
I grew up in New England, and soccer was by far the sport of choice for both boys and girls. It was much more popular than football and baseball. The captain of the soccer team was a much more illustrious title than quarterback of the football team.

In the Pittsburgh area, football seems to rule.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:27 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:

Because all the urban types associate it with the big, bad suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh