Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:16 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times

Advertisements

I know tons of people in their 20's making well over 50,000 which I would put at the level of a single person with no children needing to be in to buy a nice house & a nice car without being strapped with debt. Most are in law, finance, or the health field.

Last edited by UKyank; 09-13-2011 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 11:22 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,678,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
So, if you were new in town and wanted to hook up with one of these 20-somethings making a good salary like that, where would you meet them?
Probably in, around, or near their offices.

Seriously though, I think that this particular demographic is relatively diverse in their tastes such that finding a high concentration of them in any one place would be difficult. You could try loafing outside the Google offices, perhaps?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:26 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
So, if you were new in town and wanted to hook up with one of these 20-somethings making a good salary like that, where would you meet them?
1. Walnut St
2. Carson St
3. Butler St
4. Station sq

Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 AM

106 posts, read 211,301 times
Quote:
Maybe in the Pittsburgh Sports League

Old 09-13-2011, 11:48 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Westinghouse employs a lot of engineers in the Pittsburgh area. Here's some data from employees of that company. Most Senior Engineers are 25-30:

And again, this discussion is not one of averages. The OP was questioning where highly-paid "20 somethings" get their money. Admittedly, "highly-paid" is not the average for people in their twenties, but they do in fact exist.

And most Engineer/MBA types are looking for significantly more than $65k. Here's data from the 2010 Tepper MBA Graduates Salary Statistics.

I'm not making any of this up.
Most job ads I've seen for "Senior Engineers" specify "minimum 5-10 years experience", putting the very youngest of them at 27.

You do realize people tend to lie about their salaries?

Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,964,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
LOL, well, even though I do think there are some highly paid engineers you're right that there are also a lot of liars out there. And some people can't even keep their stories straight. I know a few people on city-data who claim they make a certain salary and then 6 months later suddenly they're claiming they make $10-20 K more. Yah right. Sometimes they exaggerate in the other direction too--if they want to claim they're poor.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:16 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,678,588 times
Quote:
Most job ads I've seen for "Senior Engineers" specify "minimum 5-10 years experience", putting the very youngest of them at 27.
Seniors at this particular company usually have 3 years experience. People with 7-10 are Principals. The average salary for Seniors was almost $80k. It would be totally possible that someone with 2 years experience, who is 24, who is 1 year away from being a Senior, could be earning $70k.

Quote:
Yes, true. However, the motivation that people have for lying about their compensation is usually to impress others or get loans. Glassdoor is totally anonymous, which eliminates the incentive to lie about compensation. Also, in cases where large numbers of people are reporting salaries for the same job, the effect of exaggeration is diminished. For the companies that I've worked for (large companies), I've found the salary statistics on Glassdoor to be very accurate.

And again, I'm not arguing that any of this is typical or the average, so that fact that "most engineers that you know" earn less, or that "most engineering jobs that you've heard of" require X and Y as conditions for employment is totally irrelevant. Unless of course you happen to know thousands of engineers, working in a diverse cross section of industries and geographical regions.

Last edited by ML North; 09-13-2011 at 01:36 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 12:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,159,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
1. Walnut St
2. Carson St
3. Butler St
4. Station sq
As one of the people you are talking about, I would agree with this 100%.

Also add Liberty ave (in boomfield) and the cultural district/mkt square

I personally never go to station square, but I am out on walnut, ellsworth, butler, liberty (through bloomfield), or the cultural district downtown at least two-three nights/week.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:11 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,210,012 times
Quote:
Are we talking about meeting places/restaurants/etc?

Nakama
Seviche
Capital Grille
The Carlton

And if you can afford the membership dues;

Duquesne Club
Rivers Club
Oakmont Country Club

Can't speak for everyone, but I know a lot who frequent these places. I am in my 40s, but I see plenty of 20-30ish professionals while I am there.
And yes, PLENTY of golddiggers and "ladies of the evening" looking for a free drink or meal too! LOL

Old 09-13-2011, 01:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,159,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Are we talking about meeting places/restaurants/etc?

Nakama
Seviche
Capital Grille
The Carlton

And if you can afford the membership dues;

Duquesne Club
Rivers Club
Oakmont Country Club

Can't speak for everyone, but I know a lot who frequent these places. I am in my 40s, but I see plenty of 20-30ish professionals while I am there.
And yes, PLENTY of golddiggers and "ladies of the evening" looking for a free drink or meal too! LOL
I don't hang out with the '20's who inherited their money crowd' (I am part of the 20's making a somewhat decent salary who got their on their own crowd), but I have never known a single person to set foot in the Duquesne, rivers or oakmont clubs...

I went the the duquesne club once to sit in on a venture capital meeting, but I have never 'hung out' there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh