Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:50 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,514 times

Advertisements

I generally like the architecture at Pitt although I wasn't happy that they tore down a couple of the oldest buildings on the hill a few years ago. The cathedral is one of the greatest main buildings of any college in America. As a campus it's not very concise since it's scattered all over Oakland but that's sort of the nature of urban campuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 02:13 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I've always liked the way Pitt looks, at least the parts along Forbes and Fifth from the dorms to the YIKC and the museums. I don't get up north of Fifth Avenue much. Is that the "dysfunctional" part with the "horrible buildings"?
I was more thinking of the Brutalist complex south of Forbes.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:24 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Barf! When are they going to shut that dump down? I'd send my kids to Empire Beauty School for a degree before sPitt.
Well Pitt has been here since 1787 so I'd say it will be here for awhile still.........

Old 09-13-2011, 03:46 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Barf! When are they going to shut that dump down? I'd send my kids to Empire Beauty School for a degree before sPitt.
sorry your kid didn't get accepted to Pitt...must have been tough on the little one :/

Old 09-13-2011, 04:07 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
I don't know much about Pitt's buildings but as long term goals, I'd:
  • Work to establish a more traditional looking campus
  • Route traffic around it and shut down streets within making them pedestrian greenspace
  • New buildings follow the Cathedral of Learning design
  • Replace any Brutalism architecture [img]http://******************/vomit-smiley-31.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2011, 04:12 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
  • Route traffic around it and shut down streets within making them pedestrian greenspace
Will never happen. Oakland has way too much through traffic to allow for the closing of streets. Pitt wanted to close the block of Bigelow between 5th and Forbes a decade ago, and all hell broke loose.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:13 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
  • New buildings follow the Cathedral of Learning design
  • Replace any Brutalism architecture
I agree with some of this, ESPECIALLY the brutalist architecture (who's idea WAS that). It would be a HUGE project to make an entirely new law building and Posvar Hall type of building though. I kind of like how Pitt is not a typical "penn state" type of campus. The urban fabric that is its core sets it apart from even Duquesne, which is isolated on the hill. I have never felt like I was starved of green space because I was blocks away from Schenley park and not much farther from Frick. Now... if only Pittsburgh had a public transportation system that wasn't laughable (Imagine hopping on a subway or light elevated rail line that could take you to Squirrel Hill, Southside, etc. from oakland without having to sit in 5th Ave or Forbes rush hour traffic... *drools*)

Old 09-13-2011, 04:16 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Will never happen. Oakland has way too much through traffic to allow for the closing of streets. Pitt wanted to close the block of Bigelow between 5th and Forbes a decade ago, and all hell broke loose.
That's why I said "long term". It might take a while to work that out.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:22 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
sorry your kid didn't get accepted to Pitt...must have been tough on the little one :/
I highly doubt my future children would be impressed by the sight of 4,000 people cramming themselves into Heinz Field to watch the mighty Panthers battle the Fighting Grizzlies from the University of Montana. My children will go to a Big 10 school (other than Michigan) or they will be cut out of the family. But, if I'm ever homeless, maybe I'll head to Oakland, deficate in my pants, and sleep on the sidewalk outside the Pitt dorms like the rest of the bums do. Pitt = less classy version of Temple.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:25 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
I know not everyone agrees, but I actually think the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial is an eyesore and wish that space could be part of the campus. The whole building looks fascist - even more so the auditorium inside. The way it sits on top of the hill makes it seem inaccessible and uninviting.

By the way, a few weeks ago Pitt demolished this building next to S&S M to make way for a new dorm:
University Place Office Building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now on another note, can someone tell me how to insert images into the post as many here do? I still have not figured it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh