Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 05:27 PM

50 posts, read 108,868 times

Advertisements

I am originally from NYC. I lived in raleigh NC for a year didn't like it and moved back. My quality of life is poor in NYC and the pollution/construction that goes on here affects my allergies. I would like to move to pittburgh but I recently read an article about it having the worst air quality due to coal fired power plants etc.
Is pittsburgh air that bad? I can't imagine it being much worse than NYC. This is a serious question because I have bad allergies and don't want my health to become worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 06:59 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Air quality varies considerably depending on where you are located--if you make a point of not living downwind of a major particle source and also avoid low-lying areas (particularly ones with major roads in them), it will help considerably. However, we do also get some extra air pollution being carried from Ohio and such. Fortunately, some of the new EPA rules should help with that issue, assuming they don't get overturned by Congress or a court. Generally, air quality is getting better, but the standards are also getting tighter.

To sum up, assuming you avoid the worst spots, I don't think Pittsburgh is much worse than average for a larger metro. But it also isn't much better, although things are improving and the new rules may help further.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:50 PM

482 posts, read 1,233,832 times
Air quality is not as the articles make it out to be. The issue is that the EPA or whoever decides to test the air takes most of their readings near Clairton and US Steel's coke plant. If they ever build the new coke batteries they were talking about years ago, the air quality will magically improve. After visiting areas such as NYC, Chicago, Philly, I'd much rather breathe Pittsburgh air.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Air quality in Pittsburgh is one of the worst in the country. Huge SUV's are the norm and lots of big empty pickup trucks don't help the cause.

Group Against Smog and Pollution | Reports

Old 09-15-2011, 07:53 PM

50 posts, read 108,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Air quality varies considerably depending on where you are located--if you make a point of not living downwind of a major particle source and also avoid low-lying areas (particularly ones with major roads in them), it will help considerably. However, we do also get some extra air pollution being carried from Ohio and such.
What areas should I avoid that is near or downwind of a major particle source? That would help narrow my choices.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truserenity View Post
What areas should I avoid that is near or downwind of a major particle source? That would help narrow my choices.
The Post Gazette did a major series on air quality issues which included some interactive maps:

Mapping Mortality - Interactive Maps - A special report on air pollution

In addition to identifying sources, you can also see where there are elevated rates of various diseases (although air quality is likely not the only factor explaining those rates).

Old 09-16-2011, 05:37 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The Post Gazette did a major series on air quality issues which included some interactive maps:

Mapping Mortality - Interactive Maps - A special report on air pollution

In addition to identifying sources, you can also see where there are elevated rates of various diseases (although air quality is likely not the only factor explaining those rates).
Wow, I missed this map!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much. I always wanted to look at something like this. It is amazing really. Fox Chapel is a clean air haven, yet just north in Springdale, it is horrible. Hampton isn't very good. I would have never guessed that.

Great map. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh