Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
There's a lot of debate about how to rank universities and colleges. If you read the methodology section, US News claims to rigorously measure academic quality and excellence. In order to compare a research university to a liberal arts school with no graduate programs it's hard to imagine how the analysis could include research considerations such as winning a Nobel Prize.

Honestly, something as simple as there being more Penn State graduates out there could influence the rankings. There is a survey and reputation component, branding intangibles. If you want to look at research prowess, there are a number of reputable reports:

http://mup.asu.edu/research2010.pdf

Penn State and Pitt both score well. At least, they are well above CU-Boulder. You can also review rankings of the best research cities worldwide:

Where the World's Brains Are - Richard Florida - Business - The Atlantic

The U.S. is home to four of the top five centers: Boston-Cambridge in first place, followed by Los Angeles, New York City, and San Francisco. Other leading U.S. research centers among the top 25 include: Chicago (6th), Durham-Chapel Hill (11th), Pittsburgh (13th), Trenton-Central New Jersey (14th), New Haven (17th), Ithaca (18th), San Diego (19th), Philadelphia (20th), Seattle (21st), Madison (22nd), and Baltimore (23rd).

University of Wisconsin and University of Washington really stand out by getting Madison and Seattle on the map. Neither State College nor Denver/Boulder make the cut.
US News doesn't directly compare liberal arts colleges and research universities. It compares "apples to apples". Now, I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but like any other ranking service, they get it right part of the time.

And what is the Atlantic's methodology? Trenton? Ithaca? New Haven? Really? (Especially Ithaca)

I agree about the U of WI, but UW did not put Seattle "on the map", Boeing did.

Your disdain for CU-Boulder is well known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 10:41 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,070 times
"Who's your daddy?" What are you kidding me?

They do frequently receive high rankings, however: The Douchiest Colleges in America.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:44 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And what is the Atlantic's methodology? Trenton? Ithaca? New Haven? Really? (Especially Ithaca)
New Haven -- Yale
Trenton -- Princeton
Ithaca -- Cornell

Old 09-17-2011, 10:48 AM

799 posts, read 1,289,897 times
Quote:
US News doesn't directly compare liberal arts colleges and research universities. It compares "apples to apples". Now, I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but like any other ranking service, they get it right part of the time.

I agree about the U of WI, but UW did not put Seattle "on the map", Boeing did.

Your disdain for CU-Boulder is well known.
I'm using rankings, not my opinion. I don't have disdain for CU-Boulder. The Atlantic used a different set of research university rankings:

ARWU 2010

Cornell is ranked 12th. That explains Ithaca. Yale is 11th. Boeing has nothing to with the ranking. University of Washington is ranked 16th. Wisconsin is ranked 17th. CU Boulder scores much better (better than Penn State) in these rankings coming in at 32. Pitt and CMU are even further down.

Concerning Greater Denver, there is a reason NASA is investing big in Loveland. Not counting all the government labs ... CSU, CU-Boulder, and the School of Mines are an impressive troika for renewable energy research. (See the ConocoPhillips campus in Louisville). It's a cool innovation cluster and Boulder is a hotbed of entrepreneurial activity. Pittsburgh should be so lucky.

But concerning undergraduate education, CU-Boulder is okay. Not great. Not bad. Just okay. The strength of the university is in the graduate programs and research. As I've posted before, it is world class in a large number of disciplines.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:18 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
when it comes to the medical professions..

Pitt>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>> >>>>> Penn state

I don't really care about the other stuff. Argue which engineering school is better all you want.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
New Haven -- Yale
Trenton -- Princeton
Ithaca -- Cornell
I am well aware of these universities. But why not

Champaign --- University of Illinois
Ann Arbor -- University of Michigan
And many others.

Cornell has "almost" 20,000 students wth about 7000 grad students, far smaller than Illiniois (31,000 undergraduate + 10,000 graduates [who do most of the research] ) or Michigan with 27,000 undergrads and 15,000 grad students. How did the Atlantic pick these cities?

Graduate College Homepage | Graduate College at Illinois
College Search - University of Michigan - U of M - At a Glance
College Search - Cornell University - At a Glance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
when it comes to the medical professions..

Pitt>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>> >>>>> Penn state

I don't really care about the other stuff. Argue which engineering school is better all you want.
I agree about the health professions. In regards to engineering, I do have some "skin in the game". My spouse has worked in engineering and physics for 40 years; my future son-in-law is an engineer; my other daughter's boyfriend is an engineer; most of my friend's husbands as well as some of my friends are engineers; my father was an engineer.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:05 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
I am well aware of these universities. But why not

Champaign --- University of Illinois
Ann Arbor -- University of Michigan
And many others.
I'm sure those were pretty high on the list too.

Quote:
How did the Atlantic pick these cities?
Apparently they just added up the ARWU scores of the universities in the various metros.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:08 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,952 times
Quote:
Ummm... That should be...

What are you kidding me... Daddy

Old 09-17-2011, 04:51 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
You can also review rankings of the best research cities worldwide:

Where the World's Brains Are - Richard Florida - Business - The Atlantic

The U.S. is home to four of the top five centers: Boston-Cambridge in first place, followed by Los Angeles, New York City, and San Francisco. Other leading U.S. research centers among the top 25 include: Chicago (6th), Durham-Chapel Hill (11th), Pittsburgh (13th)
Richard Florida is the guy who decided Pittsburgh was the 38th Gayest City in America back in the early '00s.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:52 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:

They do frequently receive high rankings, however: The Douchiest Colleges in America.
If all the douches at Yale look like that douche, sign me up. http://www.gq.com/entertainment/humo...a-2011#slide=8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh