Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 07:21 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
The heck with Pitt and CMU, two of my frat buddies from a small private college just North of here have about 30 patents and 10 Million bucks to their names.
Clearly, every student who went there is as successful.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:00 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
More bad news for the ACC:

College football -- Big 12-SEC bowl a death knell for ACC? - ESPN

Pitt needs to get out ASAP!
This is another example of people sensationalizing something they know very little about (like tier 3 deals..)

the entire idea behind this deal, is to force the b10/pac's hand with the rose bowl.
you can glamorize it, spin it, whatever.. but that is all this is. the sec's 3rd place team vs the b12's 1st or 2nd in a bowl, doesn't affect ND or the ACC one bit.

its basically right now a battle between SEC and big 10. (pac and b12 are just..there). they want to match up their 2 best, which is screwing up the new playoff they want, if the b10 and pac alwasy meet.

what the sec is doing is saying 'see, we have a deal like that too but are willing to give it up for the playoff, you can to...or else.'
why is the b12 there and not the acc? the acc wouldn't and won't give up the orange bowl to do it.

this is actually a good thing for the ACC..same for pretty much every other football team.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
This is another example of people sensationalizing something they know very little about (like tier 3 deals..)

the entire idea behind this deal, is to force the b10/pac's hand with the rose bowl.
you can glamorize it, spin it, whatever.. but that is all this is. the sec's 3rd place team vs the b12's 1st or 2nd in a bowl, doesn't affect ND or the ACC one bit.

its basically right now a battle between SEC and big 10. (pac and b12 are just..there). they want to match up their 2 best, which is screwing up the new playoff they want, if the b10 and pac alwasy meet.

what the sec is doing is saying 'see, we have a deal like that too but are willing to give it up for the playoff, you can to...or else.'
why is the b12 there and not the acc? the acc wouldn't and won't give up the orange bowl to do it.

this is actually a good thing for the ACC..same for pretty much every other football team.
You fail to understand the significance of what is going on. The ACC is being cut out of the real college football league. The ACC teams are also losing a lot of money by not being able to participate.

This proves what I have been saying. 4 conferences matter and the ACC is not one of them. This will only speed up the breakup of the ACC. So in no way is this good for the ACC.

Like I said though, I feel if Pitt acts soon they will be able to remain in the real NCAA and not the second division in a conference that is irrelevant. Pitt will be one of the last ones picked if it does get out, but still better than fading into football irrelevance.

Ironic, how the ACC turned out. The problem was they focused too much on markets and not enough on football.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:20 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,102 times
Quote:

Geographic reasons as well... the ACC and SEC overlap much of the same territory... SEC would rather ally with a conference that is not a direct competitor regionally (though it is funny that the SEC snatched two Big XII schools this year). SEC aims to subjugate the ACC as "second rate" rather than elevate it with this sort of bowl pact.

I am excited by this announcement, however. Hopefully Swofford called Notre Dame's AD immediately afterwards. This shifting landscape threatens to limit ND's opportunities as a football independent... and the instability of the Big East threatens ND's non-football sports... the time for ND to relinquish independence may be near... and the ACC would be the perfect conference for them due to ND's East Coast orientation and cultural fit among institutions.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Geographic reasons as well... the ACC and SEC overlap much of the same territory... SEC would rather ally with a conference that is not a direct competitor regionally (though it is funny that the SEC snatched two Big XII schools this year). SEC aims to subjugate the ACC as "second rate" rather than elevate it with this sort of bowl pact.

I am excited by this announcement, however. Hopefully Swofford called Notre Dame's AD immediately afterwards. This shifting landscape threatens to limit ND's opportunities as a football independent... and the instability of the Big East threatens ND's non-football sports... the time for ND to relinquish independence may be near... and the ACC would be the perfect conference for them due to ND's East Coast orientation and cultural fit among institutions.
Actually, the SEC allied with the Big 12 because the ACC sucks at football and the SEC knows that the ACC is about to become irrelevant and left out of the new system.

ND is not going to the ACC. For one the conference is unstable and about to split up. Even if it were stable and the ACC was still relevant in football the Big 10 is a MUCH better fit for ND in all aspects.

You are right their independence is threatened, and they will have to join a conference, but it is not going to be the ACC.

The ACC is finished.

I am excited too though. Now a Big 12 east can form out of former ACC teams. The Big 12 could even pickup 6 former teams, and I wouldnt mind them grabbing Pitt at all. The SEC and Big 10 might want some teams for themselves though. The crown jewel is VT which could go to any 3 of the conferences. It is possible that the Big 10 might want Pitt, but I doubt it.

You are not realizing this now, but this is good for Pitt, assuming it gets out of the ACC. Now Pitt can be in a true football conference. However, if Pitt remains on the sinking ship that is the ACC it will be lost with it.

I really hope the Big 12 picks you guys up. If they did you would quickly see how right I was, and could also enjoy some good football.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:15 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,799,707 times
Yawn!

Old 05-19-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
You fail to understand the significance of what is going on. The ACC is being cut out of the real college football league. The ACC teams are also losing a lot of money by not being able to participate.

This proves what I have been saying. 4 conferences matter and the ACC is not one of them. This will only speed up the breakup of the ACC. So in no way is this good for the ACC.

Like I said though, I feel if Pitt acts soon they will be able to remain in the real NCAA and not the second division in a conference that is irrelevant. Pitt will be one of the last ones picked if it does get out, but still better than fading into football irrelevance.

Ironic, how the ACC turned out. The problem was they focused too much on markets and not enough on football.
and you fail to understand what the orange bowl pays(same as the sugar). not that it matters, the playoff will pay substantially more than any of the bowls..

what conference is most likely to have 2 teams in the top 4 or 6? sec. hands down.. so big 12 signs a deal to play a bowl against the best SEC team not in the playoff, so most likely a ~8th ranked arkansas or georgia or whatever.

woah the SEC now can, and often will, get 3 teams in the big money bowls? all they needed was a goat to sign a deal with? done, nice. and what..they have a huge chip to use against the other huge conference the big 10, and their rose bowl? nice work silve.

exactly how did the acc turn out? as of right now its the same as when they told wvu to get lost and invite pitt/cuse..same exact conference except their tv deal is worth ~80 million more per year.

now if all your 'doom to the conference that spurned us' theories come true, i have no problem coming back and eating the crow.

but right now, nothing has happened, no one has left, their tv deal is actually much better than the big 12's.
So if teams leave, i might agree with you..but none have.
So if b12 signs this 30 million/year contract..i might agree with you...but they haven't.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:02 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,138,238 times
The SEC/Big Texas deal won't deter the Big 10/PAC's Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl is a big deal to them and Southerners just don't get it.

Ultimately I do think the Rose Bowl as a tradition of those conferences is in jeopardy as it already been impacted in the BCS era.

I do think there is over estimating of the interest in a bowl with a Big 12 team not named Texas or Oklahoma.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
and you fail to understand what the orange bowl pays(same as the sugar). not that it matters, the playoff will pay substantially more than any of the bowls..

what conference is most likely to have 2 teams in the top 4 or 6? sec. hands down.. so big 12 signs a deal to play a bowl against the best SEC team not in the playoff, so most likely a ~8th ranked arkansas or georgia or whatever.

woah the SEC now can, and often will, get 3 teams in the big money bowls? all they needed was a goat to sign a deal with? done, nice. and what..they have a huge chip to use against the other huge conference the big 10, and their rose bowl? nice work silve.

exactly how did the acc turn out? as of right now its the same as when they told wvu to get lost and invite pitt/cuse..same exact conference except their tv deal is worth ~80 million more per year.

now if all your 'doom to the conference that spurned us' theories come true, i have no problem coming back and eating the crow.

but right now, nothing has happened, no one has left, their tv deal is actually much better than the big 12's.
So if teams leave, i might agree with you..but none have.
So if b12 signs this 30 million/year contract..i might agree with you...but they haven't.
I already addressed the playoff system. The ACC sucks too much to ever get in. I mean every few years they might, but they are going to be mostly irrelevant, and wont have a good bowl to make up for it. The Big 12 should have a team every year, but even if they dont they get a good bowl. If they do make it they get playoffs plus the bowl.

So 4 conferences matter. ACC not one of them. Also they will be making a lot less $$$ than the real football schools.

The funny thing is I am actually supporting Pitt here, while the people here arent. God knows I hate Pitt football but I have their interest covered better than former alumni. Feels like I am in some kind of bizarro world.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:06 AM

so the orange bowl isn't a good bowl anymore? interesting.

and i already mentioned, acc has a much better deal than the big 12 right now. you can type differently until your fingers fall off but..as of right now, their deal is much better than the big 12's.

so until you stop dealing in 'things i hope will happen', and 'things the dude told me', and start discussing realities, the debate is pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh