Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 05:17 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
no they don't.

because the deals are open for anyone to see. not only does the ACC make more money, the media rights they retain are more valuable than 1 3rd tier football game. the exposure they get for every sport is better.

and ill repeat it.

the straight cash is better.

you are touting a contract you did not sign, 2 big 10 reports said they were going to sign in ...but didn't. if you do great, but until you do..your wrong.

espn has actually denied even negotiating the existing contract, so there goes your espn claim..
ESPN is busy hailing the end of the ACC right now.

The current deal is a cop out for the ACC.

THe Big 12 teams make more money total, without considering tier 3 rights, and with tier 3 rights make even more money. ACC has no money advantage on them, in any way. It is better than the Big E, but not on par with any of the 4 real football conferences.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:40 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
It's funny watching the two of you go at this like it's the end of the world and Pittsburgh is some cow-town that won't have anything to do if "big-time" college FB exits.

Pretty much all of us from New England grew up w/o D1 football and went on to have full lives :-)

Old 05-19-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
It's funny watching the two of you go at this like it's the end of the world and Pittsburgh is some cow-town that won't have anything to do if "big-time" college FB exits.

Pretty much all of us from New England grew up w/o D1 football and went on to have full lives :-)
Nobody said Pittsburgh would be a cowtown. I love Pittsburgh and it was one of my favorite cities. It doesnt even need a good college team, as it as the Steelers, who are beloved by the city. Ive never seen a city so loyal to its football team, and Hockey team, as Pittsburgh. Pitt is another matter and much of the population is apathetic to Pitt, or even hostile.

The thing is Pitt is in danger of going into a division 2 football league. For those of us who care about College Football this matters a lot.

I am merely the bringer of bad news.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:21 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,737 times
we aren't really going at it so much..
he spouts nonsense,
i give him facts with links/numbers to back it up.
.he says 'pitt stinks'
i give him more stats, numbers, proof
he says 'yeah but pitt stinks wvu finished 23rd this year and only lost to syracuse by 30 points in football'

etc etc.

now i know the facts aren't doing him any good, but the casual bystander can look at them and realize the truth. if it was a one on one conversation in private, it wouldn't have lasted more than 20 seconds..i have little kids i hear enough incoherent ramblings and make believe in real life.

i mean i showed the actual contracts ...and he still has some inside information that they are wrong. the rest of the world doesnt know it. espn denied it. the whole story was outed as a fabrication to feign strength but some bumpkin from masontown knows the behind-the-scene details? sorry..doesn't fly in the real world.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:

now i know the facts aren't doing him any good, but the casual bystander can look at them and realize the truth. if it was a one on one conversation in private, it wouldn't have lasted more than 20 seconds..i have little kids i hear enough incoherent ramblings and make believe in real life.

No one is seeing your truth, other than other Pitt grads that cant face the fact their school made a mistake.

The ACC is irrelevant. Everyone knows that.

You can dismiss the obvious, and try to pretend to be tough over the internet.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:33 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
i mean i showed the actual contracts ...and he still has some inside information that they are wrong. the rest of the world doesnt know it. espn denied it. the whole story was outed as a fabrication to feign strength but some bumpkin from masontown knows the behind-the-scene details? sorry..doesn't fly in the real world.
Just add in ACC & Pitt to the sign & the level of devotion & irrationality seems about the same

Old 05-20-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Just add in ACC & Pitt to the sign & the level of devotion & irrationality seems about the same
It is not the end of them. They will still exist. Just as a 2nd division team.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:39 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
From what I've seen, when this poster gets fixated on a topic - whether it's Pitt applying for ACC membership or the standing of Morgantown relative to other cities in West Virginia (none of which he seems to like very much), he's like a dog with a bone. We should assume that he'll need to have the last word on the topic, regardless of whether it reflects much more than his personal predictions and efforts to boost WVU's standing relative to other schools.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:07 PM

I hate to be the bearer of even more bad news for Pitt, but

Quote:
The news surrounding Big 12 expansion is moving much more quickly after word of the Big 12/SEC bowl alliance came out late this past week. The latest news I can report is that Clemson has agreed in principle to leave the ACC for the Big 12.
While no similar agreement is in place with FSU, word is that the administration has “come around” on the issue, and they will follow Clemson’s lead in short order. From the moment it became clear that FSU’s Board of Trustees wanted to make the move, it has been basically a fait accompli.
It is happening, and quickly.
Full story

Old 05-20-2012, 02:45 PM

I have even more bad news for Pitt and the ACC.

Quote:
According to two people with the strongest ties possible to Florida State's Athletic Department, FSU fully plans on exiting the Atlantic Coast Conference. Florida State will begin its transition to the Big 12 Conference beginning this June. One source went as far as to say, "at this point the move is inevitable."
Important dates to watch will be: May 30th, the Big 12 will have its conference meetings. June 15th, the new commissioner of the Big 12 when Bob Bowlsby will take office and August 15th, the deadline for any institution to withdraw from the ACC.
ACC is OVER

Good luck finding a new conference. Hope our rivalry can continue regardless of where you end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh