Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:13 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times

Advertisements

Damn, Pittsburgh is on it's way to having a 'Little Michigan' neighborhood....

(I'm originally from MI, and love Pittsburgh)...

But, there are a lot of previous MI residents who seem to live and post on the Pittsburgh board...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:30 AM

6,597 posts, read 8,916,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

But, there are a lot of previous MI residents who seem to live and post on the Pittsburgh board...
I've always referred to the stretch of Route 28 from the 40th street bridge to the 16th street bridge as "Little Detroit"

Old 09-23-2011, 01:05 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,988,628 times
Quote:

I'm also from Michigan (Howell)...

Old 09-23-2011, 10:43 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
We have a lot of Michigan transplants (presumably those seeking better employment options while still being somewhat near "home" and being in a similar climate and built environment) as well as a lot of Metro DC transplants (presumably many of whom, like me, moved here seeking a better quality-of-life for a lower cost-of-living). On this sub-forum at least expatriates of those two areas account for a good chunk of the "regulars" who aren't Greater Pittsburgh natives.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:57 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
We have a lot of Michigan transplants (presumably those seeking better employment options while still being somewhat near "home" and being in a similar climate and built environment) as well as a lot of Metro DC transplants (presumably many of whom, like me, moved here seeking a better quality-of-life for a lower cost-of-living). On this sub-forum at least expatriates of those two areas account for a good chunk of the "regulars" who aren't Greater Pittsburgh natives.
True.

Also, I always felt that Michigan really lacks a decent urban city. Detroit is just WAY too car-oriented, the city has so few amenities. It's trying...but the suburbs are actually slightly better...believe it or not. So, that says just how car-oriented it is - i.e. not really that convenient and liveable in the way that I'd like to see anyways.

Chicago is the closest urban fix....but, why not Pittsburgh?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
True.

Also, I always felt that Michigan really lacks a decent urban city. Detroit is just WAY too car-oriented, the city has so few amenities. It's trying...but the suburbs are actually slightly better...believe it or not. So, that says just how car-oriented it is - i.e. not really that convenient and liveable in the way that I define urban living. The surburbs are popular though.
Isn't Grand Rapids supposed to be a nice city?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:04 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
I actually came here originally purely because it had the best grad program for me, but location-wise that combination of transplants does make sense--in fact I used to note to people on both ends that if you drew a straight line between Detroit and Washington and marked the middle, it would be pretty darn close to Pittsburgh.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Isn't Grand Rapids supposed to be a nice city?
Ann Arbor is nice too--I've spent a lot of time there, including a few summers, and the East End always reminded me of it.

But those are not real cities in the sense Pittsburgh is a real city.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
But those are real cities in the sense Pittsburgh is a real city.
But, but, but...Reston, VA is a real city, too! (As my nose grows longer and longer...)

Old 09-23-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
But, but, but...Reston, VA is a real city, too! (As my nose grows longer and longer...)
Note there was supposed to be a "not" in there (since added).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh