Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:54 PM

141 posts, read 339,412 times

Advertisements

Since I seem to be on the abandoned homes/demolition kick, I found an article that I thought was interesting to share.

Pittsburgh seeking new ways to keep up with number of vacant properties

So, from what I read, the Allegheny County Vacant Recovery Program needs to have a buyer approach them about a property first, and it takes about $3,000 to scrub a title of an abandoned property.

I wonder how long that takes? It almost sounds too easy to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 PM

799 posts, read 1,289,291 times
PittsburghTODAY has a good series on the subject (also published this week):

PittsburghTODAY

Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennHillsNative80 View Post
Since I seem to be on the abandoned homes/demolition kick, I found an article that I thought was interesting to share.

Pittsburgh seeking new ways to keep up with number of vacant properties

So, from what I read, the Allegheny County Vacant Recovery Program needs to have a buyer approach them about a property first, and it takes about $3,000 to scrub a title of an abandoned property.

I wonder how long that takes? It almost sounds too easy to be true.
it takes about a year all told. it's not very hard at all, just slow. and obviously you have to buy with cash.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
Maybe we should have sent these links to West Seattle Gal before she came to visit!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:52 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Apparently, the Vacant Property Recovery Program only operates in Braddock, Carnegie, Homestead, McKees Rocks, North Braddock, Pitcairn, Rankin, and Wilkinsburg (according to the link below). Or are there other communities that participate?

Allegheny County Economic Development - Vacant Property Recovery Program

Old 09-21-2011, 05:36 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Apparently, the Vacant Property Recovery Program only operates in Braddock, Carnegie, Homestead, McKees Rocks, North Braddock, Pitcairn, Rankin, and Wilkinsburg (according to the link below). Or are there other communities that participate?

Allegheny County Economic Development - Vacant Property Recovery Program
Thanks for that link and furthering this thread. I am looking for a restoration project right now, but I don't think I am interested in those areas. Parts of Wilkinsburg maybe, but I think I am going to take a pass.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Parts of Wilkinsburg maybe, but I think I am going to take a pass.
I actually foresee a bright future for a good chunk of Wilkinsburg, especially the areas closest to Regent Square (i.e. Hamnett Place and surroundings). Regent Square's desirability and reputation have boosted property values there to the point where they'll soon be rivaling Point Breeze, Squirrel Hill, and Shadyside, and those looking to live near the "buzz" (but who don't have the level of discretionary income now needed to buy in the core of the neighborhood) will be looking to live on the periphery.

Wilkinsburg's largest hurdle is obviously its deplorable school district, which I believe is actually worse than the city's schools, but places like Churchill and Forest Hills have remained desirable and stable despite being a part of the similarly nefarious Woodland Hills School District.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:54 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I actually foresee a bright future for a good chunk of Wilkinsburg, especially the areas closest to Regent Square (i.e. Hamnett Place and surroundings). Regent Square's desirability and reputation have boosted property values there to the point where they'll soon be rivaling Point Breeze, Squirrel Hill, and Shadyside, and those looking to live near the "buzz" (but who don't have the level of discretionary income now needed to buy in the core of the neighborhood) will be looking to live on the periphery.

Wilkinsburg's largest hurdle is obviously its deplorable school district, which I believe is actually worse than the city's schools, but places like Churchill and Forest Hills have remained desirable and stable despite being a part of the similarly nefarious Woodland Hills School District.
I do want to point out there are people that might make lots of money on taking over some of these homes and fixing them up. That price range isn't in my field of expertise and that where the biggest problem would be for myself. I am more of a $100K and up person, because that is what I focused on over the years.

Keep in mind, if Wilkinsburg does keep going well, that will just make the other areas you mentioned increase in value because the buffer grows. This is the reason Fox Chapel is so expensive. O'Hara surrounds most of it and that is one heck of a buffer, considering there are million dollar homes there. Just using that as an example.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:02 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Are these properties available to private individuals? The articles are not quite clear at outlining who is eligible to purchase these properties.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
O'Hara surrounds most of it and that is one heck of a buffer, considering there are million dollar homes there. Just using that as an example.
Agreed. I make deliveries frequently in some of the cul-de-sacs and subdivisions off of Powers Run Road in the eastern part of O'Hara Township, and some of the homes up there are palatial. Colquitt Drive, for example, has some gorgeous homes that are probably valued in the upper-six-figure range, and then there's those townhomes with amazing views overlooking the Hulton Bridge and Oakmont (Shadowridge Drive perhaps?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh