Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:20 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
You don't have to be a jerk about everything, you know.
IF we ever finally launch our long-anticipated sub-forum meet-and-greet I'll pay you EACH $20 to hug!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 03:22 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,878,294 times
Quote:
It can be tricky getting from the jail trail up to the 10th Street Bridge. To get from Downtown to the South Side I'd recommend either using Smithfield and the trail, or using the tunnel to get to the 10th Street Bridge.
Best route is up 2nd avenue then across 10th st bridge, unless you are coming from duquesne or consol energy center area, then the armstrong tunnel - 10th st bridge..... I don't think smithfield st bridge is ever more convenient, though its definitely arguably a nicer walk.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I dunno, an upscale apartment in a newly constructed building, along the river looking across to pnc park with an in unit washer/dryer plus a nice fitness center, lounge with complimentary morning breakfast & attached parking in the cultural district downtown for 1500 seems like a decent deal to me if renting is your thing
denver apts/housing for rent classifieds "downtown" - craigslist

I could only find one 1BR apt in downtown Denver that was >1500/mo., most are several hundred dollars a month less. I only looked at the first 100, I will admit. Even the ones right near Coors Field are in the $1200/mo range for 1 BR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
In other cities, "downtown" would encompass a much wider area which would include the Strip, North Shore and perhaps South Side stores. So if you do a realistic area comparison, there would be stores in Pittsburgh's downtown. But there are rivers in the way.

There is something north of 400 new apartments about to come online with the current projects. This will drive demand somewhat more and I think will ultimately result in someone taking another stab at a grocery downtown.
I disagree. South Side flats is a residential area that was formerly also an industrial area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Not sure about that place, but at most places parking is extra. In my opinion $1500 a month for a 1 bedroom in a city that is know for low wages throws the whole "livable" thing right out the window.

There are a number of old buildings that are being converted (like the old Verizon building) that are charging similar numbers. I work downtown and I've heard a few people talking about these places and they said the would never pay those kind of prices. I think these apartments will appeal to new arrivals to the city as Pittsburghers seem to think these prices are ridiculous.
Yeah, my DD and her boyfriend looked at an apt. in downtown Denver that offered parking for exactly zero cars. It didn't even have on-street parking. There was a lot across the street that one could rent for ~$100/mo/car. The manager's suggestion was for them to sell one of their cars (or both). Not too practical, esp. for an unmarried couple. What does one do if they quit living together (which they did)? Buy another car?

Quote:
I don't know what you consider similar, but Denver is close in terms of overall metro size to Pittsburgh, and has a decent downtown.

Median list rent price per sqft in Denver's CBD is $2.22, according to Zillow. I didn't do all the math, but I'd suggest the median list rent price per sqft for Encore on 7th was around $1.60, give or take. That's a big difference.

Seriously, $1500 a month for being in the CBD isn't going to strike people from most larger cities as a shocking amount--unless they think it is shockingly low.

Incidentally, there is actually a lot going on Downtown these days. Because of the huge work surge it will always have some of that semi-empty feel outside of work hours, but if you look at it terms of what you could actually do within walking distance, it is definitely one of the top few neighborhoods. Toss in a walking commute (or maybe easy reverse transit commute), and it is not at all surprising why it is commanding what counts as a premium for Pittsburgh.
No one from Denver would find $1500/mo for a 1BR downtown apt. shockingly low. I already posted the craigslist link. Feel free to puruse all 1000 listings. I only got through the first 100.

Quote:
Per the BLS, pay for all occupations in Pittsburgh is 95% of the national average. It is specifically 95% for professional services.

If you are a young professional in Pittsburgh with a good Downtown employer, you are not necessarily taking so much of a pay cut that you need to get a ridiculous bargain on rent in comparison to your peers in other cities.

And yet they fill right up, and get waiting lists.
What are some of these other cities and what is the average wage there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
I disagree with the Southside Flats ever being considered downtown in any city, parts of it are over 4 miles away from downtown.
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
To be quite honest, I don't know of another city that doesn't have a downtown grocery store. To me, it seems really odd. One has to wonder if Pittsburgh is really rare that way? The downtown is much quieter than lots of other parts of the city at night. That is kind of neat in a way. A big empty city to walk around. There are always places to go that are open. Some are cheap and some are very expensive. I like that. I cook a lot. I would imagine lots of city dwellers cook and buy groceries. I just don't think many live in the heart of the city. Not enough to justify a grocer down there with that high rent.
Depending on just how you define "downtown", Denver doesn't have one, either.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:57 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
Here is the pay comparison I was citing:

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/ncspay.pdf

Old 09-24-2011, 08:49 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,878,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
denver apts/housing for rent classifieds "downtown" - craigslist

I could only find one 1BR apt in downtown Denver that was >1500/mo., most are several hundred dollars a month less. I only looked at the first 100, I will admit. Even the ones right near Coors Field are in the $1200/mo range for 1 BR.
I think the only relevant thing that you need to know is that the place in question charges that amount in rent and that people are paying it to live there.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I think the only relevant thing that you need to know is that the place in question charges that amount in rent and that people are paying it to live there.
Yes, but it's not "shockingly low" in comparison to other cities, which was my point.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:56 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
You don't have to be a jerk about everything, you know. I would have said "walk down Second Avenue" for what you meant to avoid this confusion, but that's fine, I understand you now.
I agree, Second Ave. would have been a better description. I get like a jerk because you seem to attack all my posts. I have reached my hand out to you countless times and it has been bitten off. At this point, I have a defensive mechanism in place when you attack my posts and I will try to keep it under control as best I can and I agree there is no excuse for my style of responses to you, but I do get tired of defending everything I say. I try and bring up other sides to subjects so an OP can make an educated decision on their questions. I love Pittsburgh and can see me never leaving, but it has some faults that I like to address, so maybe they can be addressed.

Anyway, Smithfield is a little nicer walk, but I would probably take the 10th Street Bridge as I stated already. If I was just visiting, I might take the Smithfield because that bridge is pretty cool and the trail, even though it isn't complete and never will be, is nice to walk along.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:47 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,226 times
Quote:
those good reasons make apples-to-apples comparisons difficult in many contexts.

This I will agree is more-or-less the case when trying to compare Pittsburgh to just about any other city in the U.S.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:24 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
What about the big Whole Foods in Union Square. That is where I get my Innis and Gunn Beer when I visit! Great! What about the Trader Joes on 6th and 24thish? I have been in there and it is pretty big. I don't like going to these places because the crowds are huge, but I have to have my Innis and Gunn beer! I can't get that in Pittsburgh!
I have to amend this post. The last sentence says, "I can't get that in Pittsburgh!" That is no longer true. Innis and Gunn is here now and I am having one right now. My favorite beer is here!

Sorry, I am just a bit excited and did a search for distributors that carry it and came up with this old thread. I felt the need to update the information and I am sure everyone is as excited as myself!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,525,310 times
Quote:
I have to amend this post. The last sentence says, "I can't get that in Pittsburgh!" That is no longer true. Innis and Gunn is here now and I am having one right now. My favorite beer is here!

Sorry, I am just a bit excited and did a search for distributors that carry it and came up with this old thread. I felt the need to update the information and I am sure everyone is as excited as myself!
So where did you pick it up? Never hear of it. I am always looking for a new beer to try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh