Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times

Advertisements

It really just depends where you live and work whether or not public transportation will work for you. It's certainly possible to get by without a car, and if you can commute without a car, then I would suggest just using a car sharing service like Zipcar for the times when you do need a car.

IT in Pittsburgh is relatively strong compared to many other American cities. While there are quite a few tech companies, it's important to remember the banks and health care providers as well -- they both have large (and I do mean LARGE) IT departments. One interesting thing about IT in Pittsburgh is that the only way to 'break-in' seems to be through IT contractors...which is basically being a 2nd class employee. But, it pays the bills (and then some) and gives you valuable experience at big name companies. It's a negative, but it also lowers the barrier to entry in the field.

As for your friend's snide remarks...well...get used to that Pittsburgh's image is going to take a long time to change, but come take a visit here and I think you'll be impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:22 AM

799 posts, read 1,289,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
I am a college student born and raised in central Illinois and nearing graduation. I'm currently in the internship and first job seeking phase of my career. As someone who has grown up surrounded by video games and the like. My friends and I always had a mantra for our careers: "Go West". Yes, San Jose and Seattle appeal to me very much as those are the boom cities for my industry. I love the weather and feel of Seattle especially.
I recommend taking the big leap to Seattle since you love it. It seems daunting now, but you will find a way to make it work. However, if you are game for Pittsburgh ... Contact the Pittsburgh Technology Council:

Helping Tech Companies Succeed through Business Development - Pittsburgh Tech Council

I highly recommend visiting the PTC. Next door is CMU's Entertainment Technology Center:

Entertainment Technology Center - Carnegie Mellon University

Share that link with any of your friends who are into video game design.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:32 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I just looked up on Port Authority's website how I would be able to get to Carrick to Swissvale (where my first internship was years ago) and it says "Trip not possible".
Look it up on Google Transit. Why would this trip not be possible? You take a 51 downtown and hop on an East Busway bus. It couldn't really be simpler.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Look it up on Google Transit. Why would this trip not be possible? You take a 51 downtown and hop on an East Busway bus. It couldn't really be simpler.
Must be their crappy site. Google says the only way it to go into town and then transfer and it's roughly an hour and a half trip total. Took me around 20 minutes by car to get there by 8:00 AM back in the day.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:04 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,628 times
If the Tech 50 event the other night is any indication, the tech industry in Pittsburgh is absolutely thriving. Look into the Pittsburgh Tech Council (a very active organization) to learn about different tech companies in Pittsburgh.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:32 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Here is a little writeup on tech employment in Pittsburgh, including various rankings:

TechAmerica Foundation : Pittsburgh Totals 48,200 Tech Jobs in 2009

We are definitely not as concentrated in high-tech as some places, but that reflects in part the fact that we have a very diversified economy these days. And from the OP's perspective, it may be more relevant to note that it appears local employers are looking to grow the sector and are searching for talent:

Pittsburgh ranks among top in technology job growth - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 09-23-2011, 05:34 PM

562 posts, read 989,040 times
Thanks for the information everyone. I will do a bit of research and return shortly with some revised positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh