Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 06:38 AM

511 posts, read 1,937,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternerInDaWest View Post
So, "City of Churches"...is it "City of Sin" like this traffic court site says? Wilkinsburg District Court Traffic Courts
I grew up in Delaware, lived in Philly awhile, and Lancaster Pa. city. Here in California, my 'hood is gang-covered, but they rep the 'hood and leave the locals alone...in fact, a lot of the dudes on the street here protect our area from the thieves and thugs of other areas that have been encroaching as the city here expands. Can someone be honest with me as to what to expect in Wilkinsburg? A couple dudes on the corner are no big deal. Everyday drive-by shootouts like I see here (Ca.) on the news is a different story. (sad to see kids killing each other...but many cannot aim, and end up killing innocent bystanders like elderly pop-pops and paralyzing 4-year olds..ugh) If I move to Wilkinsburg, what should I bring with me? (It's ok, be creative, and a sense of humor is also ok, truth preferred, too, if so inclined)
That link you provided says alot, but outside of the city, the area I hear about anymore with crime is Mckeesport. Wilkinsburg had a few cases last year where pizza delivery men were called to an abandoned house, and they were shot and killed. Now, alot of places won't even deliver to my area in Point Breeze. With that said, since I've lived in the neighborhood, last Thursday I took a walk along Penn Avenue into Wilkinsburg proper and I don't care what anyone said, its nowhere where I would ever want to live. The homes I looked at were very run down, although you say this doesn't bother you, a fair amount of people just loitering around. Just look a block further to the west and you'll be in my area, which is a whole different world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 11:39 AM

19 posts, read 46,540 times
Thank you, 'vwscottie'. That's what I need to hear, the 'real' stuff. I'll keep looking in a bunch of areas/boroughs as well. Is the same true for the 1300 to 1500 blocks of Swissvale Ave? Just wondering.

There's some interesting posts on the thread about moving away from the Bay Area of California, also. (a few from folks who moved here from Pa. like me)
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...ay-area-3.html
Seems a lot of the same issues are here, yet it's even more ridiculously expensive. Hmm...I'll have to decide...stay here and watch my full paychecks go to the rent, gas, and expenses while living amidst gangs and crime and an increasing divide between the 'haves' and 'have-nots', or move somewhere I might be able to afford to buy a place and live amongst gangs and crime. Ugh...decisions, decisions. I do want to be somewhere relatively safer. I'll keep looking...would be nice to return home to Pa.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:09 PM

511 posts, read 1,937,057 times
Quote:
Thank you, 'vwscottie'. That's what I need to hear, the 'real' stuff.
My pleasure; I found this for you, maybe you would be interested.

Bryn Mawr

Absoloutley they only place I would live in Wilkinsburg. I can see these apartments from our living room window; they are on the highest point of the eastern hills, they look beautiful.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:38 PM

They do seem nice vwscottie...good for when my son is ready to 'fly the coop'. (soon...) Actually, I'm looking for a large mixed use building. A lot of space for our home business, art studio, and later possibly a recording area. Here, even the run-down warehouses in Oakland, Ca. cost an arm and a leg. Whew! I'll need to watch the zoning and taxes of areas I'm looking into also. I've been researching PGH and other areas, saw a few good deals in/around Wilkinsburg...will keep lookin' all around awhile yet.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:30 PM

Default Wilkinsburg question

While surfing around, I learned that back in 2002, the governor got $3mil+ to fund a 'seeds and weeds', or weeds and seeds initiative. Then the money was divided up in several areas, with some getting $100k. One of these recipients was the 'Hohanna house'. The last I see anything of them is dated 2004. Their website, and the wilkinsburg.org website both seem to have had no updates since then. Wondering if they went through the $100k in 2 years that fast, or if they've changed domain names or ways in which they help the community(?) Wondering is all...

Old 02-10-2008, 04:41 PM

17 posts, read 52,310 times
Default The Real "stuff" for EasternerInDAWest

To answer your latest question: The Hosanna House is a wonderful resource in an amazingly well rehabilitated school building that serves the entire Wilkinsburg community. Along with housing numerous health services, there are multiple recreational facilities such as a pool, basketball courts, aerobic classes and weight room that are free to Wilkinsburg residents. Community groups like the Girl Scouts meet there along with many other groups. They host a fantasic summer camp that is well attended and culminates in a community show for parents and friends. My seven year old daughter attended shortly after moving here and loved it and made many quick friends.

EasternerInDaWest is looking for the real answers, and each person's opinions can vary greatly. WVScottie clearly doesn't feel comfortable in Wilkinsburg and my family and I do. Some of his observations have made both my wife and I laugh and we have lived for over a year in the heart of Wilkinsburg - in the area VWScottie would not travel. You have to really experience any community to know if you personally will feel comfortable in it. My wife and I and our kids have lived in rural Vermont for the past decade, Savannah, Georgia and now Wilkinsburg. We walk to our neighborhood soul food restaurant where we are regulars - we can walk to PNC Bank at the main intersection of Wilkinsburg's commercial district and we can take advantage of numerous diverse offerings - a large Asian market, a jeweler, two florists, both women's and mens clothing stores, an organic bread bakery, a punk music hot spot just to name a few.

Downtown Wilkinsburg and the surrounding historic neighborhoods are not perfect. There are many vacant buildings and there are more than our share of overgrown lots. You might see some people hangin' on the streets, but they are very often simply waiting for the bus. The building stock was really well built originally and even when neglected, represents an opportunity with beautiful historic details and well laid out neighborhoods. You asked about the governor's initiatives and they are finally beginning to come to fruition. Homes have been renovated and sold to new homebuyers on Jeanette Place and Holland Avenue. Historic townhouses have been renovated and are for sale on Peebles Avenue and a dozen new infill homes will be built there as well. There is a new Community Development Corporation in Wilkinsburg that is very energized with active committees of diverse stakeholders. I am active both in our church and in the local community. Wilkinsburg is vibrant and alive and a place that I am glad to call home.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:58 PM

94 posts, read 346,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grotonpatrick View Post
EasternerInDaWest is looking for the real answers, and each person's opinions can vary greatly. WVScottie clearly doesn't feel comfortable in Wilkinsburg and my family and I do. Some of his observations have made both my wife and I laugh
Laugh all you want, I live in Point Breeze too. It's a whole different world from Reynolds Street and South Braddock and driving down Penn Ave/Rte 8 to I-376. Two different lifestyles for sure, I'll stay surrounded by the million dollar mansions of Point Breeze.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 24,319 times
Definitely do not move there! I used to live in Wilkinsburg not such a good area also went to school there. A relative of mine got killed literally on Rebecca and Swissvale shot take don't move there!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:43 PM

Wow...a lot of good opinions and posts, and I understand that each person's perspectives and experiences are different and most comments I take with some grains of salt. I'm still shopping properties..looking at several areas...and will see what really deserves snatching up. I'll keep reading your posts- and post where I may finally end up.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:23 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
Thank you, 'vwscottie'. That's what I need to hear, the 'real' stuff. I'll keep looking in a bunch of areas/boroughs as well. Is the same true for the 1300 to 1500 blocks of Swissvale Ave? Just wondering.

There's some interesting posts on the thread about moving away from the Bay Area of California, also. (a few from folks who moved here from Pa. like me)
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...ay-area-3.html
Seems a lot of the same issues are here, yet it's even more ridiculously expensive. Hmm...I'll have to decide...stay here and watch my full paychecks go to the rent, gas, and expenses while living amidst gangs and crime and an increasing divide between the 'haves' and 'have-nots', or move somewhere I might be able to afford to buy a place and live amongst gangs and crime. Ugh...decisions, decisions. I do want to be somewhere relatively safer. I'll keep looking...would be nice to return home to Pa.
I live in Silicon Valley and am planning to move to Pittsburgh in about five years. I know I'll miss living near an ocean. I love the Bay Area but I am ready for a change. I'm originally from San Francisco and love city living. But SF is too expensive. I can get so much more for my money in pgh than I can here. I like the art scene there. I like that you can buy an old victorian fixer-upper for a very low price. You couldn't find the most decrepit victorian in the most awful neighborhood in SF for much under $1 million, even now with home prices heading south. Unless I come into big money, I can find so much of what I want in pgh for so much less $ than in the SF bay area...

Yes, I know about the high property taxes and bad areas and deteriorating infrastructure. Still I really like the area. It's clearly not for everyone, but I do think it will be a good fit for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh