Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:21 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, there are a lot of Itlaians in almost every US city.

List of Italian American neighborhoods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
True, but Pittsburgh is more Italian than most. Pittsburgh is heavily Irish as well. People look at Pittsburgh as being heavily Slavic, but that's more a case of large Slavic populations being relatively uncommon in the US, so ours stands out. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Baltimore, Detroit, and of course Chicago, are the centers of Slavic population in the US. What is strange is that there are more Germans here than anything, but unlike Cincy, St. Louis, and Milwaukee, Pittsburgh doesn't have a Germanic image at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 03:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
True, but Pittsburgh is more Italian than most. Pittsburgh is heavily Irish as well. People look at Pittsburgh as being heavily Slavic, but that's more a case of large Slavic populations being relatively uncommon in the US, so ours stands out. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Baltimore, Detroit, and of course Chicago, are the centers of Slavic population in the US. What is strange is that there are more Germans here than anything, but unlike Cincy, St. Louis, and Milwaukee, Pittsburgh doesn't have a Germanic image at all.
From the link:

19.3% of Connecticut's population claims Italian ancestary, making it the second most Italian state in the US after Rhode Island

New Jersey municipalities with over 25% of the population identifying themselves as of Italian ancestry (in those municipalities where at least 1,000 residents identified their ancestry):[1]

(40 communities)

19% of Rhode Island residents are Italian American, the greatest percentage of any state. 199,180 of Rhode Island's population of 1,048,319 claim Italian ancestry.

RE: Denver--

First ancestries reported:

Other groups: 228805

German: 53004

Irish: 33687

English: 29076

United States or American: 18640

Italian: 15319

Polish: 7452

Read more: //www.city-data.com/housing/hou...#ixzz1ZBpSPx4G

Old 09-27-2011, 03:24 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
no offense but what's to see in the midwest? Why would one go west?
to see cleveland? lol

I would much rather see DC, Philly, NYC, Boston, than see Cleveland, Cinci and Detroit.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:30 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
no offense but what's to see in the midwest? Why would one go west?
to see cleveland? lol

I would much rather see DC, Philly, NYC, Boston, than see Cleveland, Cinci and Detroit.
you are missing out on a lot of the country. sorry for you.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:10 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Wasn't MAC one of the first ATM networks that banks belonged to (at least locally or regionally -- I was in Central PA when ATMs were becoming the norm and got used to saying "MAC machine"). You could use your card at your bank's ATMs or any displaying the "MAC" logo. This was back in the early days before you could use any ATM or before every bank charged fees for using another bank's ATM.

Yeah. All of them were called MAC--or at least off them that mattered--so it's natural that people would call them a MAC machine. It's like making a Xerox or using a Ziploc even if you're not actually using those brands.

It at least makes as much sense as calling them all ATMs: they're both just acronyms after all. Linguistically, I suppose they both just came into being independently when we discovered we had this brand new thing in our lives that needed to have a name. People tagged them with the first name available.

I don't know--I've always just called them "Money Machines."

Old 09-27-2011, 04:12 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
I prefer the shady corner-of-the-bar machines that say "Welcome to CASH WORLD!" Makes me feel like I'm participating in some type of game show.

HAHA, you are! I like it.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:13 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
How many times do we need to have this discussion before a voice of reason finally pops in and says "Pittsburgh is Appalachian in the Northeast n'at" and we can get on with our lives with a sense of place again.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:21 PM

799 posts, read 1,289,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
How many times do we need to have this discussion before a voice of reason finally pops in and says "Pittsburgh is Appalachian in the Northeast n'at" and we can get on with our lives with a sense of place again.
The discussion is endless because regions are subjective. Everyone is describing the way they look at the world, which is mostly a function of where you are from.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:32 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Did NYC have the original MACs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I thought Mellon was one of the original instigators of MAC. See if I can find out....

EDIT:

No, it was CoreStates. Mellon did become an owner of MAC at one point, though, and PNC was part owner as well.

Mellon Joining Network That Owns Mac - Philly.com

Although, Mellon did start a network called CashStream, that was sold to MAC earlier on. So I guess they sort of did start part of it. With Mellon, PNC and CoreState it explains why the term MAC is so entrenched in Pittsburgh and Philly. You know Pittsburgh; they'll NEVER stop calling it that.
The first cash machine -- that's what I call them -- I ever used was at the Western Pennsylvania National Bank (IIRC, or maybe Union National), at the corner of Forbes & Murray, on the first floor of the building where the library is now. This was in 1972.

I believe the card was being test marketed here. It did not have a Visa or MC logo, and you couldn't use it in stores as a debit card (I got my first Visa debit card in 1982 at the Farmers & Merchants Bank in McLean, VA). I think the reason I called it a cash machine was that that was all you could do, deposit or withdraw money.

I never heard "Mac Machine" until I moved back here in 1999.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Ironically I grew up saying pop, but then had it beaten out of me in favor of soda (despite my argument that pop was more grammatically correct), and now I still say soda despite being in pop-land again.

Anyway, Erie and Buffalo are in many respects Great Lakes cities, but I still think we should claim them as part of our mini-region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh