Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:24 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,296 times

Advertisements

I've been to Pittsburgh before but never had any reason to get off the freeway. Having been invited out to Pitt to visit a friend who's pursuing graduate study for a weekend, she wants to show off her city. Is there anything exclusively Pittsburgh (not in the tourist sense) that I should ask to see?

I'm the anti-tourist and want the authentic P-burgh. Great views, good food, good drinks, good music, culture.... let's hear your recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 01:33 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times
Well be sure to hit up East Carson Street for nightlife. You could basically say it is Pittsburgh's "Bourbon Street". Fat heads would be a great place to try for dinner while you are there. They have unique sandwiches the size of your head and an endless micro-brew list.

For great views, there are really too many places to mention here, but I would recommend going up the incline to Mt Washington. Yes, it is very touristy but almost necessary for first time visitors nonetheless.

Strip District on Saturday morning is a must for culture, food, and shopping.

For music I would need to know the scene you are into before recommending something.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:53 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I'm the anti-tourist and want the authentic P-burgh. Great views, good food, good drinks, good music, culture.... let's hear your recommendations!
I too am the anti-tourist. Here's a good start for a break from the usual Pittsburgh tour:

Food: S&D Deli, Tram's Kitchen, The Pretzel Shop, Bloomfield Bridge Tavern, Max's Tavern, Istanbul, Mike and Tony's Gyros, Real McCoy Sandwich Shop (I'm not one for fancy places)

Coffee: Big Dog Coffee, 21st Street Coffee, Cannon Coffee, Beehive (for the atmosphere)

Drinks: Penn Brewery, Church Brew Works, East End Brewery for growlers (I like beer)

Music: Check out the schedules for Altar Bar, Mr. Smalls Theater, Rex Theater, Thunderbird Cafe, Diesel, Static PGH (haven't been here yet but I've heard good things)

Culture: Start here, Mattress Factory is fun and unique too

That's a good start to an alternative to the usual "LOL PRIMANTIS/INCLINE/MT. WASHINGTON/PNC PARK" tour.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:14 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
In defense of the inclines, they were once crucial transportation links, and are still used by some people for practical purposes today. So they aren't just a tourist thing, but a legitimate slice of Pittsburgh's working history.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
In defense of the inclines, they were once crucial transportation links, and are still used by some people for practical purposes today. So they aren't just a tourist thing, but a legitimate slice of Pittsburgh's working history.
Yes, otherwise it's sort of like going to San Francisco and not taking a cable car. There aren't that many funiculars around and Pittsburgh is famous for having two.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:44 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
I wouldn't say there are many things in Pittsburgh that you can label as "overtly touristy". Most of the stuff Pittsburgh is known for (Incline, Mt. Washington etc.) aren't really "touristy" and can be quite enjoyable. I'd definitely hit up the southside (E. Carson) for some bar hopping if that is your thing. There are some decent restaurants down there too. The views from Mt. Washington are worth the short drive up the hill if you have a car and its a decent day weather wise.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:24 AM

440 posts, read 549,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Well be sure to hit up East Carson Street for nightlife. You could basically say it is Pittsburgh's "Bourbon Street". Fat heads would be a great place to try for dinner while you are there. They have unique sandwiches the size of your head and an endless micro-brew list.

For great views, there are really too many places to mention here, but I would recommend going up the incline to Mt Washington. Yes, it is very touristy but almost necessary for first time visitors nonetheless.

Strip District on Saturday morning is a must for culture, food, and shopping.

For music I would need to know the scene you are into before recommending something.
I agreee 100% with the above q.. Also depending on where she lives, Oakland offers some very " Pitt Univ" traditions.

I highly recomend the Strip District on Saturday Mornings.. Its give a great sense of Pittsburgh Culture and Direction.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:00 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,296 times
Thank you all so much! So many good recommendations! I'll definitely be bringing my camera along and post the photos I capture. This is coming from a Kentucky-sprawl viewpoint so I'll try and keep them interesting! I'll be touring Pitt on Friday, actually, as I just inquired into one of their Ph.D programs. I'm excited to check the area out! Any more recommendations?

Pitt seems like a city that loves its beer! I was asked to bring Yeungling back to KY for one of my friends, even :P

Old 09-28-2011, 02:33 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
If the weather is nice, I'd go Downtown and walk around a bit, making sure to visit Market Square and cross a bridge to the North Shore and walk along that a bit for the views.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
If the weather is nice, I'd go Downtown and walk around a bit, making sure to visit Market Square and cross a bridge to the North Shore and walk along that a bit for the views.

Another great idea. However, I just checked the 10 day forecast and of course the weather this weekend is going to be terrible while next week the weather is going to be perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh