Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do People Litter?
They're Morons 32 65.31%
They're Yinzers 7 14.29%
They're Just Keeping the Place "Real" (Whatever That Means) 4 8.16%
All of the Above 6 12.24%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 02:08 PM

351 posts, read 537,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
The litter fine is a novel idea, but it'll be just like the current PA litter fine: eventually no one will give a damn. If you litter from your vehicle in PA you can face up to a $900 dollar fine, yet I see people throw garbage out of their window all of the time and obviously our streets and roads are lined up with litter.

It's just like the Pittsburgh Left, it's something that's blatantly against the law but so socially accepted that any fine won't do anything to curb the behavior long term. You'll have to change the Pittsburgh psyche to see real changes, and good luck with that.
No law, no matter what it is, will have any effect on the behavior of citizens unless it is enforced. It is just that simple.

If people were routinely getting ticketed and fined for violations it would curb behavior for anybody who is sane. Those who were insane and incorrigible would be spending a whole lot of their time doing community service work, which they may or may not find to be a hassle. In any event, strict enforcement of litter and grafitti laws, especially if it were well publicized, would be highly effective, since most people would not consider it worthwhile to spend $500 for the "luxury" of throwing a cigarette butt on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 02:09 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
Laziness is the best answer but somehow it got left out of the poll.
I agree . They are lazy and don't want to lug a bag of garbage around in their car so just chuck it out the window; problem solved.

Morons span across all socio-economic backgrounds and is not limited to the poorer working classes, yinzer classes or whatever.

Not too long ago, I saw a woman dressed in business attire getting out of her late model Lexus in a small parking lot in my neighborhood. She had a McDonald's bag which she promptly dropped on the ground before she walked into the store.She obviously didn't want the bag to dirty up the inside of her car but had no qualms about the fact that someone else eventually was going to have to pick up after her slobby butt.

Anyway, I waited until she was walking away then picked up the bag and put it on the hood of her car, wedging it between the windshield. It's too bad I was walking my dog and couldn't hang around to see her expression as she got back into her car!

Old 10-03-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
No offense, but we are talking about the same city that can't afford to put people on buses properly or patch holes in the ground.
Obviously, the idea is that the high fines would cover the entire cost of the littering/grafitti program.

If the city is so corrupt and graft is so rampant that all the littering fines would line the politicians' pockets and refurnish their condos in Miami, and the tax paying residents in the city are going to stand by and put up with that cr*p, then obviously there is no hope for the city.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Only in recent years. I haven't heard the term used as a pejorative since the 60's. Anyone remember when hunky bread was sold?
LOL!! " Hunky Bread"?? I wonder when and what bakery made it.That's a hoot!

Old 10-03-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Not too long ago, I saw a woman dressed in business attire getting out of her late model Lexus in a small parking lot in my neighborhood. She had a McDonald's bag which she promptly dropped on the ground before she walked into the store.She obviously didn't want the bag to dirty up the inside of her car but had no qualms about the fact that someone else eventually was going to have to pick up after her slobby butt.

Anyway, I waited until she was walking away then picked up the bag and put it on the hood of her car, wedging it between the windshield. It's too bad I was walking my dog and couldn't hang around to see her expression as she got back into her car!
Activists who are sick of putting up with litter and grafitti are also very effective, if there are enough people willing to do what you did.

Or alternatively, since almost everybody has a video capable phone, you could capture and record the act and get a finder's reward equal to 1/3 of the fine. So, if someone captured an act of littering on their phone, eg. someone emptying out their ashtray on the street at a stop light, they would get a check from the city for at least $166, plus the satisfaction of penalizing an uncaring moron who is trashing the community.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:32 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Not too long ago, I saw a woman dressed in business attire getting out of her late model Lexus in a small parking lot in my neighborhood. She had a McDonald's bag which she promptly dropped on the ground before she walked into the store.

I waited until she was walking away then picked up the bag and put it on the hood of her car, wedging it between the windshield.
Too soon for points, but good for you!

Old 10-03-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickStudy178 View Post
Activists who are sick of putting up with litter and grafitti are also very effective, if there are enough people willing to do what you did.

Or alternatively, since almost everybody has a video capable phone, you could capture and record the act and get a finder's reward equal to 1/3 of the fine. So, if someone captured an act of littering on their phone, eg. someone emptying out their ashtray on the street at a stop light, they would get a check from the city for at least $166, plus the satisfaction of penalizing an uncaring moron who is trashing the community.
Great idea and you know I am loving it!

And I don't know why this, in its simplicity, would be so hard to implement because citizens would be doing most of the actual work.
If we are already using recordings from surveillance cameras to prosecute offenders with theft, assault, running red lights, etc. I don't know why it would not be submissible for use in fining polluters.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:54 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Too soon for points, but good for you!
I'll give her one on you behalf.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

Janimation | Bimbo - Lunchbox - YouTube

LOL LOL I had to check this commercial out. Bimbo bread. Hunky bread. Gotta love Pittsburgh. Any other oddly named pastries out there? Is this worth starting a new thread?
He is such a cute bear,too with those big blue eyes! I just hope eating the bread wouldn't turn one into a Bimbo or , in some cases, becoming even more Bimbo-like!

Old 10-03-2011, 05:09 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'll give her one on you behalf.
Thanks. And I'd give you one if I hadn't just given you one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh