Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:02 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times

Advertisements

a quickr pickr post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 05:42 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
What do you see as a possible future for this block which would preserve it as is?

That part of Forbes is pretty fast traffic, it doesn't seem appropriate for children or people sensitive to traffic noise with all of the highways adjacent to it.

The businesses down there, the market, the health club and the Kings and Queens bar across the street I think have all closed. Perhaps the Forbes Field garage and plumbing contractor on the other side of Forbes you didn't show are doing better?

I just can't see this block surviving unless something radically different is done with the existing buildings.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

I just can't see this block surviving unless something radically different is done with the existing buildings.
I doubt it will survive. That region is really not very safe. The average value of property in that area is about $10K. They will no doubt come down, just like the buildings that were torn down for the Civic Arena many years ago. The trend continues.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:28 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
There are several new residential projects in the Bluff already in the works, and so it seems logical to me those places would mostly be reused as residential.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:53 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
There are several new residential projects in the Bluff already in the works, and so it seems logical to me those places would mostly be reused as residential.
Maybe, but I sure the heck wouldn't want to live on a noisy highway ramp, which is basically what this block of Forbes is. Between the Birmingham Bridge, I376 and the Boulevard all around it and heavy, fast traffic on a street just a few feet in front of your door, it doesn't seem prime for that usage. Especially with so many other, quieter sections nearby that could be developed instead.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Same here. There are several major residential developments underway in the Bluff as we speak, including Fifth Avenue School Lofts and a few other new apartment building proposals. It's really hot. It seems logical to me that if people are willing to spend $1000/month to live in apartments in the Bluff, there should also be some interest in home ownership there (especially with that great building stock available)!

I could see one developer buying the block, rehabbing all those homes into condos (like many I've seen in Lawrenceville and East Liberty). Or possibly rehabbing and selling the homes individually.

If you check real estate listings for the Bluff, you'll see there is really nothing available. Decent houses sell like hotcakes there.

I have a great idea -- somebody who lives in the city please nominate that block for city landmark status. That would protect it.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:04 AM

Oh, and the other side of the street is equally intact, however the homes are very modest, Philly-style row-homes. There are pictures of them on my Bluff Photo Tour.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:38 AM

443 posts, read 600,668 times
That is very interesting AlleghenyAngel. I really like your photography work, and your interest and dedication to preserving historic Pittsburgh.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:07 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
I do appreciate you taking the time to take all the cool pictures. It would be cool if they were reused, but it is cheaper to take them down and build new. That is the Pittsburgh way, so the pictures is what we will have left.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:19 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Maybe, but I sure the heck wouldn't want to live on a noisy highway ramp, which is basically what this block of Forbes is.
That block is two blocks away from the Birmingham Bridge and two-three blocks away from the Boulevard. There are many, many places in Pittsburgh, and other cities I know, where people are happily living in closer proximity to such things, on streets just as busy as Forbes. And keep in mind being right there also means you have great bus service to Downtown or Oakland.

Of course that sort of situation isn't for everyone, but if the Bluff in general redevelops as a residential neighborhood, which seems to be where it is heading, I am sure there will be a market for residential units on this block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh