Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:38 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,267,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
In 1989 I was 14 years old. I had an early dismissal from school (Allderdice) because I had to have allergy shots at Childrens Hospital in Oakland. My parents allowed me to catch the bus to and from since it was early in the day. On my way home, I missed the bus and decided to walk home( could not miss YO MTV Raps). I lived in the city but it was easier to walk through Wilkinsburg. During my walk I noticed a car circling around. He was white and I was black. I had on a walkman and had the volume turned up but was very well aware of my surroundings. The unmarked car pulled beside me and I crossed the street and continued walking at a fast clip. Next thing I knew the cop (I did not know at time) jumped out of the car with gun in hand. I had had never saw a gun before and could not beleive how big they were. My first instinct was to run. In the back of my head I remembered what my parents told me. "Comply, and do whatever it takes. The police will kill you and get away with it". I was 14 years old 5 ft 4 in and barely 100lbs.

The cop asked if I remembered him. I looked at him with a blank stare because i did not understand the question. He told me that I knew exacly who he was and took me to the Wilkinsburg police station. This was before cell phones and the police had a hard time verifying who I was and getting in contact with my parents. My mother was a Paralegal at the time and her boss drove her to the station to pick me up. the police told my mother (assuming that I was a problem kid) that I had a screwdriver in my possession (false) and I was seen trying to get into vehicles. My mother and I did not know what the screwdriver comment ment. He told her that screwdrivers are used to steel cars and Wilkinsburg has had many stolen cars recently. He also said that I was in a highspeed chase through Wilkinsburg that past weekend and sideswiped a Wilkinsburg police car.

My mother lost her mind. My parent were going through a divorce at the time and I was in Dayton OH over the weekend and could not have been in a chase with the officer.

If I would not have listened to my parents advice, I probably would have ran and took the risk of being shot in the back and labled a criminal.

Once everything was cleared up, the cop/detective never apologized to me and could not look me in my face after he was busted. This was not during the jim crow era this was in modern times and it still happens today. As a black man in the US, my experiences are different from yours and I will not expect you to understand. You have yet to show me one racist comment that I made towards anyone.

I think that is the probelm in a nutshell. Blacks in this country have such totally different experiences in this country than the average white or asian and find stories like yours unbelieveable. This is an exception for the few whites that dare live in predominately black communities or have alot of casual contact with black youth. Even just talking about race makes manying so-called liberal whites nervous.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:54 PM

747 posts, read 1,225,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I think that is the probelm in a nutshell. Blacks in this country have such totally different experiences in this country than the average white or asian and find stories like yours unbelieveable. This is an exception for the few whites that dare live in predominately black communities or have alot of casual contact with black youth. Even just talking about race makes manying so-called liberal whites nervous.

And that is why we will never get anywhere. I was labled a racist for speaking of my real life experiences. LOL...

Old 10-18-2011, 01:56 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,686,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Here's a story that happened to my mom about 7 years ago. My parents lived on a street in a city neighborhood. One afternoon my mother decided to go and have a chat with her neighbor on the sidewalk. Both women were well into their 40's and white. About 10 minutes later a cop car comes up, and two officers come out with guns drawn pointed at my mother and her neighbor and made them put their hands on their head.

They complied, and naturally they were confused as all hell. The police said they thought they were doing a drug deal and that's why they came out with their guns drawn. This was in Carrick by the way. Now if you or I brandished a weapon against two older women it would be a felony. Naturally the police said "whoops" and went about their merry way.

So this goes back to my previous point, police are unfairly profiling EVERYONE (people standing on the corner in Carrick? THEY MUST BE DEALING), it's not just a white or black thing. So again, why are we pretending like this kind of thing only happens to 1 group of people?

Old 10-18-2011, 02:06 PM

747 posts, read 1,225,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Here's a story that happened to my mom about 7 years ago. My parents lived on a street in a city neighborhood. One afternoon my mother decided to go and have a chat with her neighbor on the sidewalk. Both women were well into their 40's and white. About 10 minutes later a cop car comes up, and two officers come out with guns drawn pointed at my mother and her neighbor and made them put their hands on their head.

They complied, and naturally they were confused as all hell. The police said they thought they were doing a drug deal and that's why they came out with their guns drawn. This was in Carrick by the way. Now if you or I brandished a weapon against two older women it would be a felony. Naturally the police said "whoops" and went about their merry way.

So this goes back to my previous point, police are unfairly profiling EVERYONE (people standing on the corner in Carrick? THEY MUST BE DEALING), it's not just a white or black thing. So again, why are we pretending like this kind of thing only happens to 1 group of people?
It disproportionately happens to 2 groups of people more often. It does happen to white people but it happens more often to black and hispanic men.

I give up.

Its a black thing and you will never understand.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:15 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,686,981 times
Quote:
Anddddddd that's why people think you're racist.

For the record I am hispanic on my father's side and no one in the family has this bizarre persecution complex.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:31 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
It disproportionately happens to 2 groups of people more often. It does happen to white people but it happens more often to black and hispanic men.

I give up.

This is no doubt true, but for reactions, one must find reasons why. If crime is more likely with a certain group, the group will pay the price due to actions of others as a percentage. It isn't about the law or really anything more than human or even animal's nature. If you are walking down the street and an old lady with a walker is coming your way dress well in her Sunday best, you are relaxed. If a group of teens in their early 20's with hoodies on and baggy long paints in 90 degree heat and they are walking your way, your guard is more apt to be higher. Now is that considered being prejudice, or street smart, because you have been exposed to more crime from a certain element? I never said you would react differently. Only that you are watching the teen group more closely.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:06 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,547,028 times
Quote:

For the record I am hispanic on my father's side and no one in the family has this bizarre persecution complex.
Thank youuuu!

If I said, "It's a white thing, wpipkins, you wouldn't understand because you're black." ... someone would DEFINITELY label me a racist.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:

I understand your point, but in more than likely had it been two black youths they would have been "rough up" and treated badly unlike your mother and her friend. Your story just goes back to what I was saying about the difference in experiences that blacks and whites have with police officers. BTW when was the last time that an elderly woman was beaten like Jordan Miles was?

Old 10-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
This is no doubt true, but for reactions, one must find reasons why. If crime is more likely with a certain group, the group will pay the price due to actions of others as a percentage. It isn't about the law or really anything more than human or even animal's nature. If you are walking down the street and an old lady with a walker is coming your way dress well in her Sunday best, you are relaxed. If a group of teens in their early 20's with hoodies on and baggy long paints in 90 degree heat and they are walking your way, your guard is more apt to be higher. Now is that considered being prejudice, or street smart, because you have been exposed to more crime from a certain element? I never said you would react differently. Only that you are watching the teen group more closely.
This is true, but police officers are held to a higher standard since they are enforcers of the law. With power comes additional responsibilities, there is no excuse that unjustified beatings should occur and than covered up. When they happen primarily to one group of people more than others red flags should be raised and corrected.

What you are saying comes from negative past experiences or even as an active imagination feuled by stereotypical media. People see a group of Wall St banker types walk pass them and are not threatened, eventhough they have been stealing more than every thug that you even seen 10x over

Old 10-19-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:

You still are not a black young man! Meaning that until you live in the black community or spend considerable amount of time within in one you cannot possibly understand what is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh