Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,918 times

Advertisements

I work in monroeville. I was in the process of buying a house. Well I still am many things were wrong with it and someone I work with bought a house in Jeanette and her taxes are a third of what mine would have been on this house. I was thinking of looking for some houses in westmorland county that I could commute to monroeville with in 15- 20 min . Any thoughts looking to spend around 150k or less. Ideally would have a pretty safe area. I understand some areas of greensburg and jeanette aren't so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 07:06 AM

132 posts, read 266,268 times
Murrysville.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:10 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,347,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick7255 View Post
I work in monroeville. I was in the process of buying a house. Well I still am many things were wrong with it and someone I work with bought a house in Jeanette and her taxes are a third of what mine would have been on this house. I was thinking of looking for some houses in westmorland county that I could commute to monroeville with in 15- 20 min . Any thoughts looking to spend around 150k or less. Ideally would have a pretty safe area. I understand some areas of greensburg and jeanette aren't so good.
I would suggest the Murrysville/Delmont area. They are both located along the 22 corridor meaning easy access to Monroeville

Old 10-03-2011, 10:04 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,668 times
Murrysville, Irwin area / North Huntingdon Township.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 AM

440 posts, read 549,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick7255 View Post
It honestly depends on what you are looking for Nick. Murrysville is now the "it" place over the last 10 years or so .. and rightfully so..I do not know much about that area.

Greensburg and Jeannette has some really nice offerings also.. I am originally from Jeannette and will say there are some scuzzy areas along with most of western PA. However, there is hardly no violent crime and I would say 90% of the crime is drug or booze related that goes for almost all of westmoreland county.. Even in the most degrated areas of both of those towns you are safe..

If you give some more information on what you are looking for I can be more specific of areas to look towards and stay away from. Greensburg has REALLY REALLY seem some great growth as far as culture...

Old 10-03-2011, 03:00 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,047 times
Murrysville is a good choice, but I wonder how many homes are going to be in that $150k or under category? I would think that within the city limits of Jeanette and Greensburg there may be plenty to choose from.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:08 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,079 times
Jeannette is FAR from a dangerious place. The houses are older but you will get a much better deal than in murrysville. I can't say exactly what you can get for 150k in murrysville, but it won't be much.

for 150k in jeannette you can probably get the mayors house. Bear in mind if you are just looking up 'jeannette' on real estate web, you are going to get alot of hits that are in Penn Trafford(actually all the way to 22 almost has some jeannette addresses, but isn't near jeannette.
But its a nice hike to monroeville IMO, not an insane commute but you can do better.

another possible area to consider, close to monroeville is trafford or even level green.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:21 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,542 times
I would look into Irwin/North Huntington Twp. Norwin is a decent district, better than jeanette, within 20 mins of Monroeville and within your budget. Murrysville will be too expensive for your budget. Have you tried Trafford or Harrison City? That's very close to Monroeville and from what I hear Penn-Trafford is a decent, affordable district. Also, Hempfield is a huge district right next to the turnpike, so it would be quick to monroeville. I think you can find some cheaper homes in that district for your price range.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:37 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,079 times
also it would help if you say what your preferences are as far as..house size, school district(have kids?), if you like 'small town', to be able to walk to a store or bar or 2, or like subdivision types where its just you, your neighbors and your car.

anywhere mentioned is a really good school district, PT/Franklin/Norwin, but Jeannette is a little behind for sure. Supposedly they are going to be merged into penn trafford and hempfield in the near future, from what their city council says anyway. so property values might actually go up there if that happens.

i'd start my search in trafford and move out 130 or 993 from there if it was me but like i said, it would be a lot easier to give opinion if we knew more of what you were looking for.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:51 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,916 times
I didn't think much would be available in Murrysville at that price but a quick search on Hanna's site came up with a lot and several looked fairly nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh