Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 12:11 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times

Advertisements

It looks like they are focusing on things like street cleaning, security, and promotional activities. At least some of that is what I would identify as basic city services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 12:50 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,049,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Short answer: BIDs and NIDs are not considered governments. They are more like HOAs and such.
You could turn an entire city into a BID or NID and completely suppress non-property owner (mostly minority) voting. Wow. I'm surprised the state legislature hasn't tried pushing that along with the Voter ID bill. Someone call Darryl Metcalfe ASAP!

Old 10-08-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
You could turn an entire city into a BID or NID and completely suppress non-property owner (mostly minority) voting.
I haven't reviewed the relevant state laws, but usually you still need there to be an elected municipal government which retains certain functions.

That said, I agree IDs and HOAs are problematic to the extent they are replacing core municipal functions.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:40 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,988,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
As much as I love Southside I have to admit that there are a dozen or so neighborhoods that should be higher on the list for improvements.
Exactly. Allentown, Knoxville, or Hazelwood, anyone?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:06 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
But this isnt something the city is funding so thats completely non-relevant

Old 10-08-2011, 10:11 PM

It obviously isn't directly relevant, but I do think IDs and HOAs raise a long term worry about wealthier areas opposing taxes that would help more areas while funding a higher level of services just for themselves. I'm not necessarily saying that issue applies in this case, but it is something to keep an eye on.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:01 PM

480 posts, read 608,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I disagree with this opinion, especially in light of the amount of money the area generates for the city - nor is this proposal slated to raise money for basic city services anyways.

How about how much the area costs the city as far as public services is concerned? Public Works, Fire, EMS, Police...

FAQs | South Side Neighborhood Improvement District

Old 10-11-2011, 08:03 PM

480 posts, read 608,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post

then why don't they organize and give it a shot? The South Side has their stuff together as far as organization is concerned.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:08 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,049,730 times
In other states, an area is designated an 'improvement zone' for a certain amount of time, say 15 years. Property appraisals are frozen at their current value for that 15 years. Businesses are encouraged to make property improvements that increase the value of their property. The annual increase in the property appraisal is diverted to the 'improvement zone' rather than the normal taxing bodies for that 15 years.

It's a win/win because the city, county and school district are getting the same amount in taxes as if the property had never been improved during the 15 years; the property owners aren't paying any more in property taxes than they would be otherwise; the 'improvement zone' is increasing in value during the 15 years; and at the end of the designated time period, the city, county and school district begin to receive the full value of the improved property.

But this is all predicated on a system of annual re-appraisals. In Pennsylvania it's hard to tell what the benefit is to the property owner because they don't do annual re-appraisals; it ends up being just another layer of taxation.

Houston's first TIRZ was in the early 90s. At first just the property owners voted. Then that was found to violate the Voting Rights Act. Then they moved to letting residents of the TIRZs vote instead, but some TIRZs had less than 10 registered voters, so those voters became disproportionately valuable and ended up being bribed by the property owners. They ended up doing away with the elections all together and just having the TIRZs run by a board appointed by the city. That's why I was surprised to hear that in PA the property owners vote.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:15 PM

366 posts, read 940,679 times
There is a meeting at the UPMC Southside Hospital cafeteria at 6pm tonight. If you are a resident or business owner in the SS Flats neighborhood, I strongly suggest you attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh