Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:03 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times

Advertisements

West Penn Power is 7.3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 01:43 PM

510 posts, read 905,242 times
I am bumping this to find out if anyone has any updates, or anything to add. I am thinking baout switching to First Energy which locks in a good rate for 24 months. I read the links but couldn't find any negatives. Surely saving about $20 per month with no downside is too good to be true?

Old 07-02-2012, 01:46 PM

632 posts, read 1,070,604 times
Anyone else get the regular calls from "Greater American Power" asking to switch you over from Duquesne?

Old 07-02-2012, 02:35 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
Anyone else get the regular calls from "Greater American Power" asking to switch you over from Duquesne?
Not that I have any actual facts to back them up regarding this company (and I'm almost positive this was the particular company I have dealt with), but every time I they would call me on the phone they seemed to be very much stuck in the "hard sell" mode and this is just generally a major turn-off for me. For instance, after saying I didn't want to switch but would consider it later and ending a conversation with one of their saleswomen, the VERY SAME woman called back around the same time the next day and restated the hard sell routine AFTER I told her that I talked to her yesterday and came to a conclusion already.

These companies probably offer slightly better savings, but I just don't like the hard selling they do. Let "me" decide what I want to do, don't try to say "you're an IDIOT if you don't sign up with us!"

Old 07-02-2012, 04:49 PM

441 posts, read 765,882 times
The phone calls are starting to annoy this **** out of me. I get the same phone call EVERY DAY asking me to switch electric providers. I tell them to put me on their Do Not Call list every time, but the calls won't stop. I've tried asking them what company they represent, so that I could send a complaint letter, but they dodge the question every time. Very frustrating.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:54 PM

510 posts, read 905,242 times
So, anyone have any information about the actual service? I have never received a phone call.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I think you only get phone calls if you have a landline, not sure. I get a ton of mailings, most commonly Direct Energy.

I switched and I can't even remember which company it is. I think it's Dominion. Dunno why I'm hedging on the fixed price. If I remember right the one I have is variable but will always be guaranteed at least 15% lower than the last resort (Duquesne Light) price. The First Energy and maybe a couple others can lock you into 2 and at one point even 3 years of a fixed price. The only downside is if the prevailing price actually goes down i the interim. This seems highly unlikely, and yet I guess I am reluctant to let go of the possibility. Looking at the comparison list again on PA Power Switch, it looks like some of the prices have in fact nudged down.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 AM

733 posts, read 986,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffy71 View Post
I am bumping this to find out if anyone has any updates, or anything to add. I am thinking baout switching to First Energy which locks in a good rate for 24 months. I read the links but couldn't find any negatives. Surely saving about $20 per month with no downside is too good to be true?

We switched to First Energy in February and have noticed a significant decrease in the monthly bill. It's a two-year, fixed rate agreement, and their rate is lower than Duquesne. I was skeptical at first (mostly because I seem to be pathologically skeptical of everything, haha), but it's definitely proved to be a wise decision.

I'd encourage you to check out another supplier. Most of them seem to have at least slightly lower rates than Duquesne, and as long as you make sure you sign a fixed rate agreement, you really can't lose.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
We switched to First Energy in February and have noticed a significant decrease in the monthly bill. It's a two-year, fixed rate agreement, and their rate is lower than Duquesne. I was skeptical at first (mostly because I seem to be pathologically skeptical of everything, haha), but it's definitely proved to be a wise decision.

I'd encourage you to check out another supplier. Most of them seem to have at least slightly lower rates than Duquesne, and as long as you make sure you sign a fixed rate agreement, you really can't lose.
Thanks Captain. I think I am going to look into it. Is there any upfront fees? Any hidden costs that were there when the switch took place? If you go through the two years, what happens if you want to switch back? Will Duquesne sock you for some fee? It just seems so hard to believe that a company can rent the lines and electricity and still make money, but then again, if you watch Duquesne Light workers when they are on a job, I can understand it would be easy to shave money off that laziness. It is shocking to watch them eat 3 hour lunches and hang out in their trucks while people are without power. Again, thanks for the info.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 AM

482 posts, read 1,233,760 times
I keep having people come to my door asking me to switch suppliers... This happens at 7-8pm when I am not expecting anyone to ring my doorbell. The first time, I told the person I already did it, just so they would leave. They seemed upset when they asked who I chose and I said First Energy.

The most recent time someone came, I just happened to be testing the fit of my new pistol holster. I answered the door, forgetting my pistol was still in the holster (unloaded). The guy didn't stick around too long asking additional questions after I told him I switched suppliers already.

Either way, it's annoying when one of these sales people knocks of the door late in the evening. I don't have a landline, so they can't call me until they figure out my cell number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh