Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 AM

733 posts, read 982,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Thanks Captain. I think I am going to look into it. Is there any upfront fees? Any hidden costs that were there when the switch took place? If you go through the two years, what happens if you want to switch back? Will Duquesne sock you for some fee? It just seems so hard to believe that a company can rent the lines and electricity and still make money, but then again, if you watch Duquesne Light workers when they are on a job, I can understand it would be easy to shave money off that laziness. It is shocking to watch them eat 3 hour lunches and hang out in their trucks while people are without power. Again, thanks for the info.
There wasn't any upfront fee or other associated costs for us. I'm not sure what happens in two years, though. It wouldn't surprise me if Duquesne charged some sort of fee for going back, haha, because they are pretty much the devil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 08:43 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
There wasn't any upfront fee or other associated costs for us. I'm not sure what happens in two years, though. It wouldn't surprise me if Duquesne charged some sort of fee for going back, haha, because they are pretty much the devil.
Do you have an idea of what percentage you are saving? My electric bills this summer are going to be very high due to how hot it is and I suspect it will be mostly 90's this year with the occasional break down to 85 with 99% humidity.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:22 AM

733 posts, read 982,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Do you have an idea of what percentage you are saving? My electric bills this summer are going to be very high due to how hot it is and I suspect it will be mostly 90's this year with the occasional break down to 85 with 99% humidity.
Hmm, well, if I go back into my pre-switch bills, these are the supply and transmission rates Duquesne had:

Supply - 7.86
Transmission - 1.45

My post-switch rate from First Energy:

Generation & Transmission - 7.1

So, what, the rates end up being 9.31 versus 7.1? About a 25%, or so, savings per bill.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
Hmm, well, if I go back into my pre-switch bills, these are the supply and transmission rates Duquesne had:

Supply - 7.86
Transmission - 1.45

My post-switch rate from First Energy:

Generation & Transmission - 7.1

So, what, the rates end up being 9.31 versus 7.1? About a 25%, or so, savings per bill.
25% is a lot of money. Thanks!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:42 AM

540 posts, read 864,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I think you only get phone calls if you have a landline, not sure.
I think it is based on the phone number associated with your electric account. I get the calls on my cell phone every day. Luckily I've learned to ignore the calls that pop up as coming from Washington and Oregon. There is an option on the Duquesne Light web site under the "Update My Account" section to "Restrict Account Information". It says that by law they are required to provide the alternate suppliers with your contact information unless you select the option to withhold the information.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,559,706 times
I save a noticable amount each month, its not a full 25% as the rates might suggest since the distribution, fees, taxes, etc is seperate. Ballpark savings for me has been about 10-15% off total bill. We have a fairly big house and use above average amounts of electricity, so its well worth it. No upfront fees. No fees for switching back after the contract (if applicable) is over. My rate is locked for 3 years, the only real risk is that is electricity cost goes down then I could be paying more than the market rate or that I forget to pay attention to when my locked rate ends and the costs go up without me noticing. Other than those minor concerns its a no brainer and I think its worth a small gamble to lock in a rate around 7.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:05 PM

165 posts, read 261,277 times
Quick question - has anyone who lived in an apartment switched? I keep getting information in the mail but I haven't really looked into it because my electric bill is minimal (about $30 a month). Also, I see people talking about locking in a rate for multiple years. Is there an option not to do that? I'm assuming you get the best rates if you lock in a multiple year deal but I have no idea if I'll be in my same apartment for the next few years. Would the deal travel with me?

Old 07-03-2012, 05:02 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,338,250 times
Pennsylvania's Do Not Call Program

Consumers: Protecting Consumers - Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General

"Unwanted telemarketing calls can be a nuisance and an intrusion upon your privacy at home. In 2002, "Pennsylvanians were first given the opportunity to avoid these calls by registering for the Do Not Call list." . . .

Opt out of everything here:

Unsolicited Mail, Telemarketing and Email: Where to Go to “Just Say No”

Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
I think it is based on the phone number associated with your electric account. I get the calls on my cell phone every day. Luckily I've learned to ignore the calls that pop up as coming from Washington and Oregon. There is an option on the Duquesne Light web site under the "Update My Account" section to "Restrict Account Information". It says that by law they are required to provide the alternate suppliers with your contact information unless you select the option to withhold the information.
Hm, well, I've only ever had a cell at this house for over 8 years now, still have the same number, and I don't get calls. Maybe Do Not Call list actually helps that?

BTW, the Duquesne Light price to compare now is 9.89 cents. My rate is 6.99. (Just got a bill today.) I was expecting high bill since it's been so hot, but surprisingly it says my usage is less than last year at this time. But even so, the amount of the bill is nice. The usage for this month is 924 kWh. If I was paying DL's rate it would be almost $27 more.

Hey, I'll take it.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Glad someone bumped this thread. I never got around to switching. I'm putting it on my to-do list again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh