Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 PM

15 posts, read 26,332 times

Advertisements

I’m in final negotiations for a job in Pittsburgh. The office is in the Central Northside neighborhood.

I’m looking for a safe, quiet, affordable neighborhood where we can rent an apartment with a one-way commute by car in 5 – 20 minute range. If the commute is bikeable, that’s good.

My wife and I are in our fifties. No kids. We’re looking for an apt that has some or all of the following features:
~ 1BR and a den (for office; she’ll work out of the apt) or 2 bedrooms using one as office.
~ A parking spot if possible.
~ A cat allowed.
~ Balcony, porch, deck or something to hang out, grill out on.
~ Access to trails for hiking & biking would be cool

~ A few stores, bars and restaurants nearby – a grocery store in the neighborhood is nice, but not critical.
~ We want to keep our monthly rent in the $500-700 range and that hopefully includes most or all of the utilities (I started my apartment search assuming that this was unrealistic, but am actually finding plenty of viable options in and around Pittsburgh.)

Pittsburgh neighborhoods that we like so far based on scanning a variety of sites – Craigslist, property management firms, Google Maps, hotpad.com, City Data Forum, etc – include Greenfield and some of the communities heading west from the office along the Ohio River, e.g., Brighton Heights, Bellevue, Avalon, Emsworth, Sewickley.

We tend to prefer working/middle class neighborhoods to more upscale options. Which is a good thing given our budget, hey?

Thanks for any suggestions, insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 05:55 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,708 times
The neighborhoods you like are all good choices. Sewickley is probably too expensive and not very "working class" (stupid term which implies that people that live in the nicer neighborhoods don't work very hard but whatever).

Brighton Heights will cost you an extra 2% of salary per year since its technically in the city (I think, sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Bellevue is dry and has no bars if you care.

I like the Ben Avon area the best of that stretch of town.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:40 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
West View and just north of West View in the Perrysville section of Ross is nice. Both have shopping areas, my uncle lived up there for a while on Perry Highway.

Easy trip in, certainly safe enough, a couple of shopping centers out on 19 and you could be close enough to walk.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:05 PM

398 posts, read 702,174 times
I haven't spent a lot of time there, but driving through I love Ben Avon, and I think it has exactly the vibe you're talking about -- cute, well-maintained, but still very affordable and "working class".

Old 10-06-2011, 08:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
If you like working class neighborhoods, West View fits all of your criteria.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
I like Ben Avon, too, but I don't really think of it as "working class." I guess I've been to the wrong parts. More important, I wonder if there are any apartments there.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:42 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,708 times
Westview is good too.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:20 PM

377 posts, read 652,114 times
I think you will get the most in your budget in Bellevue. Since schools are not a issue I think it would be a great fit for you. There are no bars though. It does have restaurants, coffee shops, a GREAT bakery,a library ( Bayne Library), a grocery store, CVS, and some other smaller stores all in walking distance. There are no buses for the schools just to give you an idea of how walkable it is. You can walk the whole town. There is also a medical facility-Suburban General which used to be a hospital- it now does urgent care and other services.

I grew up in Bellevue-spent 19 years there so I know it pretty well. I really dislike the school system or else I would live there again in a heart beat. There are a lot of choices for renters there are complexes, apartments in old houses, you can rent a whole house, duplexes.

Best of luck with your move!

Old 10-11-2011, 12:28 PM

15 posts, read 26,332 times
Thanks for all these recommendations. I accepted the job yesterday and am following up on every neighborhood mentioned in this thread. Best,

Old 10-12-2011, 02:09 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random1643 View Post
Thanks for all these recommendations. I accepted the job yesterday and am following up on every neighborhood mentioned in this thread. Best,
Since you are going to be working in the Central North Side, don't rule out the Central North Side neighborhoods: Allegheny West, Mexican War Streets, and Deutschtown. You could walk or bike to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh