Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:37 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
Has he really provided any leadership, between his frat boy trips, that is? What is his vision for Pittsburgh, other than being reelected every for years?
Again I don't really know how much of this he is personally responsible for, but some of the things that have happened while he has been Mayor are:

Lots of funding for improvements to Downtown, including the renovation of Market Square and a variety of facade/storefront improvement programs, plus a tax abatement program.

A lot of progress in making the City much more pedestrian- and bike-friendly, including the creation of a new Bike/Pedestrian Coordinator position and a citywide bicycle plan (in turn integrated as a key component in an overall citywide transportation plan).

Advancement of the Three Rivers Park and Allegheny Riverfront projects, which are in the process of transforming the parts of the City located along the rivers.

Several tech-related initiatives, including one just announced (PowerUp Pittsburgh), advancing the PTC, and so forth.

The ongoing transformation of East Liberty, including several URA projects, the reconfiguration of the streets, and so forth.

Substantial progress on redeveloping the Hill and Uptown/Bluff zone between Downtown and Oakland.

A bunch of "green" and energy-efficiency projects, ranging from vacant-lot programs to street and traffic light improvements to adopting "green building" and "green vehicle" policies and so forth.

Creation of the Pittsburgh Promise program.

Hosting a variety of big-name events that have generally drawn good reviews from event organizers.

Taking steps to modernize the City's use of information technology, simplify its permitting process, and so forth.

Improving cooperation with neighboring municipalities, including through CONNECT and bilateral deals (such as the refuse and fire deals with Wilkinsburg).

Clearing a lot of liens and generally making it easier to market underutilized properties for redevelopment.

Adopting a lot of modern crime-prevention practices.

I could go on, but that is a decent sampling. Basically, this is a pretty standard contemporary playbook of things for a city to be doing, but the fact the City has adopted a contemporary approach across all these different areas is itself noteworthy.

Last edited by BrianTH; 10-07-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 02:32 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Again I don't really know how much of this he is personally responsible for, but some of the things that have happened while he has been Mayor are:

Lots of funding for improvements to Downtown, including the renovation of Market Square and a variety of facade/storefront improvement programs, plus a tax abatement program.

A lot of progress in making the City much more pedestrian- and bike-friendly, including the creation of a new Bike/Pedestrian Coordinator position and a citywide bicycle plan (in turn integrated as a key component in an overall citywide transportation plan).

Advancement of the Three Rivers Park and Allegheny Riverfront projects, which are in the process of transforming the parts of the City located along the rivers.

Several tech-related initiatives, including one just announced (PowerUp Pittsburgh), advancing the PTC, and so forth.

The ongoing transformation of East Liberty, including several URA projects, the reconfiguration of the streets, and so forth.

Substantial progress on redeveloping the Hill and Uptown/Bluff zone between Downtown and Oakland.

A bunch of "green" and energy-efficiency projects, ranging from vacant-lot programs to street and traffic light improvements to adopting "green building" and "green vehicle" policies and so forth.

Creation of the Pittsburgh Promise program.

Hosting a variety of big-name events that have generally drawn good reviews from event organizers.

Taking steps to modernize the City's use of information technology, simplify its permitting process, and so forth.

Improving cooperation with neighboring municipalities, including through CONNECT and bilateral deals (such as the refuse and fire deals with Wilkinsburg).

Clearing a lot of liens and generally making it easier to market underutilized properties for redevelopment.

Adopting a lot of modern crime-prevention practices.

I could go on, but that is a decent sampling. Basically, this is a pretty standard contemporary playbook of things for a city to be doing, but the fact the City has adopted a contemporary approach across all these different areas is itself noteworthy.

Street paving technology to ensure equity when it comes to our neighborhood roads.

Diverisifing city government like no other mayor before him.

Ensuring all city employees recieve equal pay for equal work.

Adding lots of young people to the city government positions.

Continued momentum with riverfront development (Strip)

Pittsburgh Promise

Pittsburgh Promise

Pittsburgh Promise

Old 10-07-2011, 02:45 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I'm a city resident, and barring anyone earth-shattering running against Ravenstahl (on either the Democratic or Republican platforms, mind you), then I'd cast a vote in the incumbent's favor. Why? I moved to Pittsburgh because it's a city that I see is investing in itself. I foresee nothing but a bright future for the city, and I see no reason to malign the mayor just because of his youth.

Who else might I vote for (in no particular order)?

Councilman Patrick Dowd (D-Inc.)
Councilman Bruce Kraus (D-Inc.)
Councilman William Peduto (D-Inc.)
jay5835

Old 10-07-2011, 03:48 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Please no Bruce Kraus - he might try to stop anything new opening in the entire city like he tries over here all the time

Old 10-07-2011, 03:57 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
So true, but so sad and frustrating. Are people unable to think for themselves???
People "thought for themselves" in the recent gubernatorial election, and we got Governor Beholden. Is that what you want for the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

jay5835
Hahahahahahaha...oh, you're so funny.

I would vote for Dan Frankel, btw.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:46 PM

480 posts, read 611,784 times
I will not vote for Luke and I will vote for anyone but him. He has ignored issues like what's going on in the SS Flats for far too long.

His staff is atrocious and he often never comes to community events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Mayor Luke is there for as long as he wants to be.

Even if he were somehow upset in an election, the Democratic Party would still have an iron grip on City Council, and would stymie the efforts of a new mayor.

Yes, I will cast for Ravenstahl for mayor in 2013 if I make it to the polls to vote for other offices.

Why do you say that? The majority of Council would be with a Mayor Lamb and if it's Peduto then he would have a majority as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Mayor Luke Ravenstahl is a man and not a boy. He is the Mayor of our great city and city residents (especially young) are pretty satisfied with his performance up to date. He has kept the economic development momentum started by Tom Murphy (another great mayor) and will continue to do so while old washed up republicans b$%ch and moan about his age and ineptitude. Mayor Luke Ravenstahl is a wonderful mayor and excellent Democrat who will get my vote come election day.
Thanks for chiming in Mrs. Ravenstahl...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Any specific criticisms of the Mayor? I'm sure that you have some, I just can't figure out what they are aside from the fact that he's young.

His attendance at major city events is wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
I voted against him once and for him once. He's not my ideal choice for Mayor but honestly I think he's done a better job than I thought he would in 2006 when he fell into the job. He is a bit of a hack I think, but I also think that he probably needs to be in order to manipulate the levers of power in this town, many of which a painfully caught in the past. Alienating them would make his job harder.

If the biggest criticisms are that he's misused a police vehicle to go to a concert, played golf on UPMC's dime, and bought expensive trash cans I can live with it. Honestly, I've got more problems with the Council than with the Mayor.

I think the Pittsburgh Promise is a good thing. I though his attempt to get more money in taxes from the non-profits through his proposed "tuition tax" was ill-conceived and ham handed, but I supported the sentiment behind it. His parking garage lease plan seemed to me like the better play for the city long-term than Council's alternative.

I'm not sure how much credit he deserves for much of what's going on downtown with the increased development (Market Square, PNC, etc.), but it is happening on his watch. Crime's relatively low, overall City's on the upswing so I don't have a ton of complaints about him.

Barring something major happening, he'll probably get my vote this time around, but I'm not 100% locked in. I'll need to hear better, more detailed criticisms than he's a "frat boy" though, I was one once too.
Do you really think that crime is low in this city?? Crime is not at a good level in this city.

How about this well written series by Rich Lord?

The network: How government, politics and enterprise intersect in this region

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Street paving technology to ensure equity when it comes to our neighborhood roads.

Diverisifing city government like no other mayor before him.

Ensuring all city employees recieve equal pay for equal work.

Adding lots of young people to the city government positions.

Continued momentum with riverfront development (Strip)

Pittsburgh Promise

Pittsburgh Promise

Pittsburgh Promise
STREET PAVING?!?? lol Clearly you don't pay attention. That is all political. The Pgh Promise wasn't his idea. He desperately latched on to it with Roosevelt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Please no Bruce Kraus - he might try to stop anything new opening in the entire city like he tries over here all the time

Really? Kraus is one of the better members of Council. I think that his overwhelming reelection vote totals in the South Side Flats shows that the residents appreciate his platform of protecting the residents and making sure that the Flats is still a strong residential community.

Who did you vote for? Gavin Robb? Jeff Koch? lol

Last edited by Yac; 10-10-2011 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: 7 (!!) posts in a row merged

Old 10-07-2011, 05:34 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghuser View Post
Really? Kraus is one of the better members of Council. I think that his overwhelming reelection vote totals in the South Side Flats shows that the residents appreciate his platform of protecting the residents and making sure that the Flats is still a strong residential community.

Kraus wins by scaring the old people that they will be overrun by drunks at any moment.....sorry if I have little regard for someone who proposes not allowing any new restuarants to open after the courts slapped down his prior proposal of attempting to limit any new liquor serving establishments opening - luckily the courts slapped both proposals down.
He has as his pet project limiting any further business expansion unless you want to do it in the SS Works and will throw any road block at his disposal to accomplish this. I can't think of another more business unfriendly councilman, nor can I think of anything positive he's done for the community either.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:41 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,022 times
Quote:

Kraus is absolutely awful. The best part about moving out of the South Side for me was not having that mook represent me in City Council anymore.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Do you really think that crime is low in this city?? Crime is not at a good level in this city.

How about this well written series by Rich Lord?

The network: How government, politics and enterprise intersect in this region
I do think crime is relatively low in the city. Truth is it's low nationwide and Pittsburgh's is lower than most cities. "Good" is your term, not mine.

It was a well written series by Mr. Lord. It also struck me as equally applying to all levels of government in every municipality in the United States. It also had the ring of Capt. Renault being shocked that there's gambling going on at Rick's.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I will not vote for Luke and I will vote for anyone but him. He has ignored issues like what's going on in the SS Flats for far too long.

His staff is atrocious and he often never comes to community events.
The biggest problem you have with the Mayor is his treatment of the Flats??? Really???

You must work for Kraus because that's just nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh