Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 03:44 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but Friday nights shortly after the bars close I fire up a police scanner (I use Radio Reference City of Pittsburgh Police, Fire, and EMS Live Scanner Audio Feed) and listen for an hour or two. It helps that I'm at work already, and in Homewood, so it's relatively relevant to work.

Anyhow.

Tonight's edition included a police pursuit that ended with a car going through the back wall of a house and possibly hitting a gas line, one woman stabbing another, two people smoking crack getting into a domestic disturbance... and one calling the police, and a ton of other things that would be hilarious if they weren't really happening in my new hometown.

Anyone else like to listen to the local scanner? Any gems I missed? Any of you featured tonight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 04:48 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Just wondering, how much do they run for. I was more interested in having one when I was younger living in the suburbs (when less was going on.) Now that I live in the city, I don't knows if I would want one or not. I just picture it going off all the time for every petty police call.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:38 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I just picture it going off all the time for every petty police call.
Correct. I have one laying around here somewhere. When I lived in Highland Park, I listened to Zone 5 for a few hours. I never listened to it again. Non stop calls. Most all were petty crap. Then I changed it to Fox Chapel. Dead air. Sharpsburg was not that busy either really. It was a fun toy for about a day and it got put on a shelf.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:59 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i forget the url, but you can listen to the police scanner online.

i listened to it a bunch during the g20. the best part was about 20 minutes of hullabaloo about a suspicious item on the north side that turned out to be an empty wendy's bag.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:30 AM

I always thought they would be handy if I heard fire trucks on my street and would know if there was a serious fire or something. That's about it.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

i listened to it a bunch during the g20. the best part was about 20 minutes of hullabaloo about a suspicious item on the north side that turned out to be an empty wendy's bag.
Attack by a Frostee?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:07 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Non stop calls. Most all were petty crap. Then I changed it to Fox Chapel. Dead air.
Still sounds more interesting than Charlie's Angels or The Playboy Club...

Old 10-08-2011, 08:41 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
If you re-read my post, you'll get a hint as to where you can find that URL.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:56 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,003 times
Yep, both of mine are on 24/7/365.
I monitor everything in the City proper plus Allegheny, Westmoreland, Washington, Fayette, Beaver, and Butler counties, I have had a scanner running in my place since I was about ten years old, which is when I got the first one for my birthday from my grandma. Got hooked young and kept the tradition going now going on 45.

I always look forward to Fri and Sat nights between midnight and about 4AM. Great stuff! LOL

Old 10-08-2011, 01:45 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
I don't know if I'm alone in this, but Friday nights shortly after the bars close I fire up a police scanner (I use Radio Reference City of Pittsburgh Police, Fire, and EMS Live Scanner Audio Feed) and listen for an hour or two. It helps that I'm at work already, and in Homewood, so it's relatively relevant to work.

Anyhow.

Tonight's edition included a police pursuit that ended with a car going through the back wall of a house and possibly hitting a gas line, one woman stabbing another, two people smoking crack getting into a domestic disturbance... and one calling the police, and a ton of other things that would be hilarious if they weren't really happening in my new hometown.

Anyone else like to listen to the local scanner? Any gems I missed? Any of you featured tonight?
The best was listening during the G20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh