Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 09:18 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,360 times

Advertisements

The thing is he is quoting that people are living longer, so those who are retired don't have as much need to live in NYC compared to someone in the prime of their career. I am not saying that moving to somewhere like Detroit is lucrative by any means, but I am simply stating that we are far from the point where people should be out on the streets because there is "not enough housing." I do admit that I predict the economy will begin to improve leaps and bounds when the time comes for the baby boomers to start leaving the work force in droves but certain conditions have to be in place for the economy to truly rebound to where it was at. If agreements like NAFTA are still around, why not ship the 50,000 a year job to Mexico and pay 8,000 a year. Before NAFTA existed, companies had a much harder time outsourcing jobs thus making good jobs more plentiful in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Well, I think that is a silly attitude. For none of those crimes is the death penalty authorized, and you'd inevitably machine gun wholly innocent people just caught up in the crowd.

Arresting people and putting them in jail is punishment enough for property crimes.
Agree 150% . There are very few crimes IMO that even deserve contemplating taking the life of another (ie, pedophilia, serial murder proven beyond a reasonable doubt), and breaking a window or pushing over a dumpster don't even come close

Old 10-11-2011, 09:27 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
The thing is he is quoting that people are living longer, so those who are retired don't have as much need to live in NYC compared to someone in the prime of their career.
On the other hand, retirees have greater need of convenient access to quality hospitals and such, and many benefit from not needing to drive everywhere.

Quote:
we are far from the point where people should be out on the streets because there is "not enough housing."
I'd suggest it is more "not enough of the right kind of housing", where housing is understood to mean the whole bundle of residential units, transportation options, walkable amenities, and so forth.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:45 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Well, I think that is a silly attitude. For none of those crimes is the death penalty authorized, and you'd inevitably machine gun wholly innocent people just caught up in the crowd.

Arresting people and putting them in jail is punishment enough for property crimes.
Ok, snipers then.... Sorry if I would have absolutely no sympathy for someone paying the ultimate price for property crimes, nor other non-death penalty crimes such as rape; everyone knows these are crimes, they are aware they are doing wrong & no one forced them into the situation.
- but as I noted, I am well aware I am in the minority on this & its not going to happen, so G20-esque protestors will continue to have their yearly gatherings & have their fun smashing storefronts & people's cars, etc, causing many people unnecessary headaches & out of pocket costs as the maximum the troublemakers face, if anything at all, is maybe being pepper sprayed or even getting a light prison sentence or, they could even possibly luck out & be one of the few that always get awarded $$ from the state in those situation because of some phantom police brutality they receive.
This admittedly has nothing to do with the topic at hand, so I'll shut up about it now.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:40 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I reiterate for those who apparently only selectively skim through what I have to contribute to this sub-forum:

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray/awry..."

What does that mean? It means that sometimes no matter how well-planned you think you have your life something unexpected can arise and totally upend that. Aqua Teen Carl's health scare leading to his rather unethical termination is evidence of that. Recently having a delusional snob in an SUV who lied to the police when she ran a red light in Point Breeze and took my Mazda (which I use for work) out of commission just before her drunk attorney husband arrived at the scene to pick a fight with me was something I could not have prognosticated. I had a bit of savings that have now been totally depleted having to pay for 20% of my rental car expenditures while I am still waiting to hear back from my insurance company about what is going on and whether or not I'll have to incur more debt to bring legal action against those other parties for lost wages and reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses.

Good for you, HNSQ, to have such a strong ego. That should serve you providentially should your apartment burn down tomorrow night when your neighbor falls asleep with a cigarette in her or his hand or when a drunk driver jumps a curb and takes out your leg as you walk down Carson Street next week. It should also serve you well should your company be caught up in an accounting scandal and be forced to shutter its doors. Speaking of which, when employees for both Enron and Arthur-Andersen were all suddenly let go due to the unchecked greed of their superiors, would your advice to them have also been "Oh well. You should have planned better for this back in school?" Good for you that you have not yet had the pleasure of dealing with some of Northern Virginia's finest who will smile to your face and then collude behind your back to hurt you in an effort to advance themselves vocationally with their abysmal justification being "It's a dog-eat-dog world. Deal with it." Good for you that you aren't fraught with worry nightly worrying that your parents, only in their mid-50s, are already exhibiting signs of deteriorating health as they pressure you for grandchildren that you know you can't provide to them to extend your family's lineage due to being of an inferior sexual orientation.

Shall I continue, HNSQ? I've faced a lot of adversities in my life. I'm triumphing on my own without bailouts or handouts, yet I know that even just three months from now or two days from now something else can happen that will derail me from those "solid goals" and "good plans" I had crafted for my future as far back as middle school. Right now on a rare morning off I'm posting here while applying for more positions hoping and praying that someone will actually say "Let's talk..." instead of "Thanks, but no thanks". I'm also worrying about my partner's health, as he had heart-attack-like symptoms Sunday night that have continued through today. He doesn't have health insurance through his employer, either, and also can't afford it on his own, so he's not getting checked out. It's something magical living in a nation where despite working 75 hours per week you still can't go to the doctor or the dentist, isn't it, and it's all the fault of those of us who didn't "plan ahead" for adversities. Interesting.
Of course you can go to the doctor or dentist. You just need to pay for it, with insurance or cash. That's what 98% of Americans do. A group insurance plan when you're 25 is not that expensive, less than a car payment. Call CNU and ask for the policies they promote for their young graduates and grad students.

Is providentially the SAT word of the week? Is that from whence it came, the SAT word-of-the-day calendar?

Quitting a good job, with benefits and health insurance, is probably not providentially beneficial. Proper planning would not portend that decision.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
I agree whole-heartedly that the above chart is indicative of a serious problem in our society. But I'm not sure what Wall Street has to do with it. Anymore, it seems colleges are run more for the benefit of the employees than the students. And the people responsible for that generally come from the same left-of-center side of the political spectrum as the OWS protesters.
Colleges continue to raise to tuition because they CAN. The government keeps subsidizing colleges and they keep raising tuition.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:24 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Sorry if I would have absolutely no sympathy for someone paying the ultimate price for property crimes, nor other non-death penalty crimes such as rape
Again, I think it is pretty silly to suggest a moral equivalence between vandalism and rape.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:58 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Again, I think it is pretty silly to suggest a moral equivalence between vandalism and rape.
And I have no sympathy with whatever happens to people when they actively choose to engage in felonies.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:50 AM

So with that logic, raping a 7 year old child is the same as cutting down a tree in a park? Man tries to cut down tree in county park with ax - LA Daily News

Old 10-12-2011, 06:24 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
There's always that whole pesky 5th Amendment thing where people can't be gunned down Judge Dredd style due to that whole due process hickydoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh