Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:58 AM

165 posts, read 262,499 times

Advertisements

I would recommend my neighborhood, Mt Lebanon. I was 25 when I first moved there and it's perfect for me. I love living along the T for easy access to work and there's plenty nearby to walk to...bars, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. The part of Mt Lebanon I live in is rather dense, but not overly so. Oh...and I've always lived alone and have never felt unsafe.

While there are a lot of families in Mt Lebanon I think people really underestimate the number of young professionals in the area. I think it all depends on which specific area you're looking in. For example, the vibe in Sunset Hills is completely different from the area right around Washington Rd (where I live). Sure, it's not the South Side or Shadyside but I wasn't looking for that.

While there isn't a designated park with major trails for running you will still see many people out running just through the neighborhood. It seems like regardless of whatever time of year it is there are still people out exercising. There are sidewalks everywhere so it's easy to find a place to run. Also, Mt Lebanon Cemetary along Washington Rd is great for running as the trails are beautiful and the grade makes it a little challenging. You're also a short drive from South Park and the Montour Trail if you would want something different on the weekends.

And Mt Lebanon would be right in your price range. That's the range I'm in as well.

I would also put in a vote for Dormont, which borders Mt Lebanon.

Let me know if you have any questions...I'll be happy to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 05:32 PM

90 posts, read 131,649 times
RunnerGirl, I'm a 22 year old female, 5'2", 110 lbs and live in Squirrel Hill. I have never, ever felt unsafe here and I've been out at all hours of the day and night all over the neighborhood.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:33 AM

19 posts, read 23,415 times
Thanks so much everyone for all your responses-- that helps me out a lot! I was clueless as to where to even begin my apartment search before, but I think I will start by looking at places in Squirrel Hill, Mt. Lebanon, Dormont, and Sewickley. From what you've described, it sounds like any of those places would be a great match for what I'm looking for. Thanks again so much!!

Old 10-13-2011, 04:36 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerGirlPgh View Post
I'm planning on moving to the Pittsburgh area within the next few months, and (like so many others on the forum) I've been researching the "perfect neighborhood" to fit my lifestyle. I'm a 25 year-old single female professional and am in the process of securing a job downtown. Most important to me is that I live in a neighborhood that's safe (I will be living alone) and that has lots of options for running. I do a lot of running (both short-runs and long-runs, both road-running and trail-running) so I want to be able to come home from work, throw my shoes on, and head out for a run by myself in the evenings. Or I want to have good-quality running trails, routes, etc. within a short driving distance. I've heard that North Park is great for running, but I'm not familiar with the neighborhoods near there. Other things that I'm looking for include:

- Reasonable rent rates-- between $500 and $700/month
- Lots of other young professionals and opportunities for social interaction
- Easy access to public transportation, and a relatively short commute into downtown
- Amenities close-by-- coffee shops, grocery stores, gyms, etc. I want to be able to walk to just about anywhere I need to go.
- Not densely populated (like Forbes Ave in Squirrel Hill), but not too solitary either (I want to know that I have neighbors and people close-by).

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
I haven't read the other responses, but I am an active runner/racer, and we live in Point Breeze. We live very close to Frick Park, which I have enjoyed many days and many miles of trail running. I also use trail running in the park as a means to scout out new trails to mountain bike on. I did see someone mention Squirrel Hill which we live very close to there, and my runs often take me in to Squirrel Hill and Shadyside. Lots of great variations in terrain.

My only other advice to you is, no matter what neighborhood you chose, please be VERY VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL! You have to keep your eyes wide open ALL the time. Everything from people not paying attention backing out or pulling out of their driveways, to people not stopping for stop signs, especially at blind intersections, to people blowing red lights, especially when the crosswalk lamp is lit, etc. It's rare for me to come home and have not witnessed or been in a near incident. Watch alleys and like I said before, blind intersections. I'm a huge music lover, but I never use ear buds.....I use my sense of hearing more than my sense of sight to listen for vehicles approaching intersections.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:33 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
My only other advice to you is, no matter what neighborhood you chose, please be VERY VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL! You have to keep your eyes wide open ALL the time. Everything from people not paying attention backing out or pulling out of their driveways, to people not stopping for stop signs, especially at blind intersections, to people blowing red lights, especially when the crosswalk lamp is lit, etc. It's rare for me to come home and have not witnessed or been in a near incident. Watch alleys and like I said before, blind intersections. I'm a huge music lover, but I never use ear buds.....I use my sense of hearing more than my sense of sight to listen for vehicles approaching intersections.
Excellent advice. Clearly an experienced runner. (I have 30 years - can you top that?)
My advice: always assume you are unseen.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:13 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
Excellent advice. Clearly an experienced runner. (I have 30 years - can you top that?)
My advice: always assume you are unseen.
I can't top 30 years of running, but at 41 years old, I have been everything from a Junior B hockey player to soccer player to runner and an urban and mountain biker.

People who know we live close to Wilkinsburg and Homewood often ask me if I am afraid of being shot, and I chuckle and say that I am more afraid of being hit and killed by an ignorant motorist while running or cycling. What is even more sad is we just returned from an extended stay in NYC and Boston and I felt safer in those two locales as a pedestrian.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:47 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
What is even more sad is we just returned from an extended stay in NYC and Boston and I felt safer in those two locales as a pedestrian.
You were surprised that it is safer to be a pedestrian in cities with vastly less car use.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:29 AM

19 posts, read 23,415 times
Thanks for the great advice, I never really thought about that. Right now I live in a rural area, so I run on the roads or on the trails with my earbuds and don't think twice about it-- few driveways and very little traffic. I haven't done much urban running except for races, where precautions against all of those things have been taken for me. That's one of those things I probably would have figured out eventually, but not before having a few close encounters (if I'm lucky)!! I really appreciate the advice!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:10 AM

472 posts, read 626,560 times
I second Squirrell Hill, or the parts of Point Breeze/Regent Square that are near frick park miles and miles of trails I run there very often!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:01 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
When I lived in Point Breeze and Shadyside I would often run the loop of Penn, Braddock, Forbes and Beechwood. For me it had the fewest traffic lights and or busy street crossings. Braddock and Forbes there are really none. Beechwood only has one with a light. Penn is little busier but still not as bad as running along 5th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh