Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 04:20 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
No. They had Elby's Big Boy, Ruby Tuesday, Ground Round, Wolfies, Pappans.
Pappan's!

"An you gonna like it"!

They were rolling for a while, but then disappeared.

Speaking of regional, family owned businesses, can anyone remember the feuding Gabriel Brothers, and the fact that they operated competing chains, "Gabriel Brothers", and "Gabriel's". I remember one of the news shows doing a piece about the fued. Gabriel's bit the dust about a decade ago. You used to have to inspect clothing very carefully when you went there for holes and other imperfections, but they have pretty much slid into the niche formerly occupied by Value City, and have eliminated most of the irregular and damaged goods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 08:45 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
There were definitely some Sheetz's in the city. One was on the corner of Liberty Ave. and Ninth St
Herodotus,
You are right! I just got off the phone with "The Boss" and after he did some deep thinking, said back in the late 80s.
they did a short trial run with about 15 very small "urban" stores throughout Allegheny County. They found out that city operations required different methods of selling/marketing than what they were use to in their rural locations and sold the 15 to Guttman, which were then turned into Crossroads.

Sheetz then focused on newer rural stores in Allegheny County that were bigger so they could add the gasoline pumps, food services, and parking areas, whereas they couldn't with the smaller stores.

The year they sold (June 89) was the year I was laid up for many months from an auto accident, hence me not knowing about of the details.

See, we learn something new everyday on these boards! He was actually surprised someone remembered the old stores and had a good laugh.

Last edited by Benzman66; 10-18-2011 at 09:00 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 09:15 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
Well all this talk about Sheetz made me give into temptation, so I went out to their Robinson store after work tonight. It is impressive compared to their other stores. Also, you can't beat their $4.00 footlongs

Old 10-18-2011, 09:26 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Herodotus,
You are right! I just got off the phone with "The Boss" and after he did some deep thinking, said back in the late 80s.
they did a short trial run with about 15 very small "urban" stores throughout Allegheny County. They found out that city operations required different methods of selling/marketing than what they were use to in their rural locations and sold the 15 to Guttman, which were then turned into Crossroads.

Sheetz then focused on newer rural stores in Allegheny County that were bigger so they could add the gasoline pumps, food services, and parking areas, whereas they couldn't with the smaller stores.

The year they sold (June 89) was the year I was laid up for many months from an auto accident, hence me not knowing about of the details.

See, we learn something new everyday on these boards! He was actually surprised someone remembered the old stores and had a good laugh.
I'm pretty old now (53 on Friday LOL!), so I've seen a lot. I can't remember them all, but besides the one Downtown, I believe the GetGo on S. 18th, the one on Baum, and a Crossroads that was on Island and Chartiers in McKee's Rocks, all began life as Sheetz. My bud worked the night shift at the one Downtown, which is why I knew for sure that they were here in the 1980's. I wonder if Sheetz is planning to go hard into the DC market, which in my opinion is badly lacking in the type of store Sheetz offers, and if Wawa, and maybe even GetGo might battle them there. 7-11 is dominant there, but has many old Co-Go's sized stores. Giant Eagle has crept as close as Frederick, but I wonder if they have the balls to try to enter the lucrative DC market.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:43 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Is it just me or am I missing where they are opening locations in the city? All I saw was Ross Twp.
The one being built in Ross is about 3/4 done! It's on Babcock Blvd, on the the corner of Cemetary Lane and is going to be a decent sized Sheetz .

I look forward to being able to stop for breakfast and get my Shmuffin-if I am extra hungry I go for the " Shmonster Shmuffin " OR, for a late night after party 1/2 dozen "Buffalo Shwingz" MMMmmmm.....they are the best! LOL!!!

Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Pittsburgh is in dire need of some more modern gas stations. That is my one of my major complaints about Pittsburgh when I'm buzzing around the city. Wheeling and Morgantown both have 2 huge Sheetz.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:53 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
There are actually Sheetz close enough to the city (example of Robinson which without traffic one could easily make it there in fifteen minutes.) One of the 2 in Morgantown isn't technically in Morgantown. It is across the star city bridge and from downtown can take about the same amount of time as it takes to get from Pgh to Robinson. I will agree with you that it would be awesome to see Sheetz pop up around the city. There is definitely room in some neighborhoods but there are reasons why the land is vacant

Old 10-20-2011, 01:33 PM

112 posts, read 161,611 times
Im not a fan of their breakfast stuff but I like the one (super healthy) fried platter with the fried mac and cheese.
I'm lucky enough to be near a few sheetz.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:36 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Pittsburgh is in dire need of some more modern gas stations. That is my one of my major complaints about Pittsburgh when I'm buzzing around the city. Wheeling and Morgantown both have 2 huge Sheetz.
What does "more modern gas stations" mean, exactly? I don't do anything or get anything at a gas station besides get gas. I can't tell you the last time I was even actually inside the little store.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:01 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,470 times
Here is a write up from my hometown newspaper. The Allegheny County locations are mentioned at the end of the story.

Sheetz continues expansion but looks to rebuild locations - AltoonaMirror.com - Altoona, PA | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - The Altoona Mirror

"Sheetz plans to open a new location in Ross Township in November followed by another new store in Lower Burrell in January, said Linda Pacovsky, Sheetz district manager for East Allegheny and Westmoreland counties.
Sheetz is also looking at new sites in North Huntingdon, Bethel Park and the Uniontown area and hopes to add another store in the Blairsville area, Pacovsky said.
Sheetz also plans to rebuild in Cheswick, Cranberry Township and Ligonier."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh