Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 11:38 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post
I would also add that we have a large number of older people that have bad eyesight. That combined with poor visibility is not good.
That excuse gets old and is ridiculous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Pittsburghers of all ages generally drive like timid old grannies anyway, so throw in the natural slowdown associated with wet roadways, and this is what you get.
You and I always agree on this. Sure enough, as I predicted, as I passed the Oakland exits on 376, those great digital message boards announced "congestion" approaching the Fort Pitt Bridge. And there they were, crawling UPHILL to the bridge at no more than 5 miles an hour.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:46 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
You and I always agree on this. Sure enough, as I predicted, as I passed the Oakland exits on 376, those great digital message boards announced "congestion" approaching the Fort Pitt Bridge. And there they were, crawling UPHILL to the bridge at no more than 5 miles an hour.
Is there ever NOT congestion approaching the Fort Pitt Bridge?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Is there ever NOT congestion approaching the Fort Pitt Bridge?
I travel through there Monday through Friday and there more often then not is a smooth climb up to the bridge.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:04 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
Dem roads get rill slippy annat when it rains.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Dem roads get rill slippy annat when it rains.

Greeeeezy

Old 10-27-2011, 02:51 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I travel through there Monday through Friday and there more often then not is a smooth climb up to the bridge.
At what time? The afternoon rush constantly sees delays from at very least the County Jail to the Fort Pitt Bridge--sometimes slowing around the Boulevard of the Allies.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:10 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times
You have made various posts on here Scott about how people being too cautious and drive too slow etc. You seem to have a need for speed. What's the use in being a speed demon? Slow down Scotty. I am concerned for your safety. Besides, in a dense city with crowded streets like Pittsburgh, you'll end up just waiting at a light right in front of the person you just cursed out as you passed them. Why? To hurry up and wait? When we are talking about commuting for most people distances of 10 miles or so, it makes no sense to speed and be unsafe when in the end you are only saving a minuter or two. I would rather be safe and get home a few minutes later. It's much better than being wrapped around a telephone pole.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 10-27-2011 at 07:24 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
At what time? The afternoon rush constantly sees delays from at very least the County Jail to the Fort Pitt Bridge--sometimes slowing around the Boulevard of the Allies.
The morning, and afternoon around 4pm, I agree wholeheartedly.......the comment was made multiple times that it was congested all the time, and that's not true. I usually go through there around 1pm Monday through Friday

Old 10-27-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
You have made various posts on here Scott about how people being too cautious and drive too slow etc. You seem to have a need for speed. What's the use in being a speed demon? Slow down Scotty. I am concerned for your safety. Besides, in a dense city with crowded streets like Pittsburgh, you'll end up just waiting at a light right in front of the person you just cursed out as you passed them. Why? To hurry up and wait? When we are talking about commuting for most people distances of 10 miles or so, it makes no sense to speed and be unsafe when in the end you are only saving a minuter or two. I would rather be safe and get home a few minutes later. It's much better than being wrapped around a telephone pole.
You are wrong. I leave an hour early before I am to be ANYWHERE in Allegheny County, so I always give myself plenty of time, and as a matter of fact, am routinely passed by people going much faster than I on 376, 279, or 79. So I'm not a speed demon. When I am in traffic, however, I am in it for a reason, whether it be work, pleasure, etc, and I'm not in traffic to twiddle my thumbs. My only expectation of fellow drivers is to be attentive and to do what they have to do to keep traffic moving. Seems like a very simple request, but not in Pittsburgh. My observation after five years are that people are too comfortable sitting in utterly long lines of traffic, and don't seem to be overly motivated to get to their destinations. I understand the concern about adverse weather conditions, but creeping along does no one good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh