Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 04:23 PM

65 posts, read 146,908 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to the area in the next year or less.

I need help picking an area that's not rural but the yards are decent sized and maybe I could put up a 1500 sf shop building and work on my projects in peace.
I would like shopping, mall, restaurants etc nearby
Is there such a place in the area?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 06:13 PM

17 posts, read 32,591 times
You could look around the Zelienople, Harmony, Evans City area. You should be able to get enough property reasonably for your shop, still close to Cranberry Twp for your other needs, and good access to highways to get around.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:42 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,979 times
Also look around the Rt. 28 corridor, near the Butler / Allegheny co. line. Close to Pittsburgh mills mall, close enough to the city, rural enough to be considered "country" living.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:21 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
Chippewa Township in Beaver County would meet all of those requirements. It's also half way between the Marcellus shale boom of Pennsylvania, and the Utica shale boom that is happening in Ohio.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:18 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Since you actually said you are looking for an area that's NOT rural, you could find what you're looking for just about anywhere in Allegheny County. You don't need to go that far out of the Pittsburgh city limits to find what you want.

So I'll go in another direction. Try western Allegheny county. Little towns like Imperial, Oakdale, Rennerdale, etc are surrounded by lots of land, and right on the edge of suburbia and country. Yet only a few minutes drive from the shopping mecca in Robinson and only 15 miles or less from downtown Pittsburgh.

But really, you could find what you want just about anywhere in this area. It's up to you where you want to live. You have many options.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilmanMike View Post
I am going to be moving to the area in the next year or less.

I need help picking an area that's not rural but the yards are decent sized and maybe I could put up a 1500 sf shop building and work on my projects in peace.
I would like shopping, mall, restaurants etc nearby
Is there such a place in the area?????
Lots of areas right around the city. Not sure why people are suggesting you look way out? Heck there are places in Indiana Twp, West Deer, O'Hara two and countless places around. There are occasional places that have good size yards right in the North Side. If you want cheap, Penn Hills, but that area seems to not be doing as well as many would hope. No need to move way out for a nice lot. You can live on acres right around the city no problem. Of course you didn't state a price range. That will dictate area.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:42 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,778 times
I would head out of Allegheny county simply because of taxes. But as mentioned if you are looking inside the county, Indiana township/West Deer provide some great options. Of course it totally depends on any additional needs you have--work travel, schools etc. Right now we are keeping our eyes on the Harmony, Zelianople area--close to 79 but still rural. We are in Gibsonia on 1/2 acre now but want at least 5 acres eventually for a small farm.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:49 AM

995 posts, read 1,115,623 times
The first thing that popped into my mind was, he needs make sure to check the zoning requirements for whatever he's looking at. If he's planning to build that large of a work-space building, it'll probably need to be commercially zoned.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:25 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
The first thing that popped into my mind was, he needs make sure to check the zoning requirements for whatever he's looking at. If he's planning to build that large of a work-space building, it'll probably need to be commercially zoned.
That would be about 32 x 48. That's only a big garage for storage. No need to be zoned commercial unless there is an actual business in there.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,965 times
Are you going to have to commute to work at all? If so, where is your place of employment and how far are you willing to commute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh