Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:43 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times

Advertisements

Hot water circulating heat (whether it's baseboard or radiators, and I just came from a house that has been fitted with new-fangled radiators) is plenty efficient, with the right equipment gets more efficient than forced air. And it doesn't dry the air out so much. Of course, you can't have A/C in the same system that way; the A/C would have to be separate. The main efficiency problem is going to come from an old building with inadequate insulation, though. If you're worried about the heat bill (a reasonable concern) then try to find out what the typical heat bill is for any apartments you're looking at. The main thing that's going to make it sky high is lack of insulation, not hot water vs forced air. Of course age of the system could also come into play.

If hubby has no reason to drive during the day from work downtown, then there's no particular reason for him to drive to/from there. The T is a great option IMO, although I say that not as someone who uses it. (I don't live in the right place.)

I don't know how far the $800 rent goes down in Mt Lebo, but if you're okay with 1 bedroom, I think you might be able to find something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 06:27 PM

43 posts, read 49,640 times
Wow.... so after scoping out ALL the areas mentioned in this thread... this is going to be quite an adjustment. We're apparently VERY spoiled here. a 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage townhouse, with water, sewer included. BRAND new construction with a gas fireplace, vaulted ceilings, gorgeous lighting and kitchen, etc... for $795 a month. We can barely afford a 1 bedroom in Mt. Lebo at $800. Or any other place you guys mentioned. (via padmapper) So we figure we'll have to ask for a raise.

I talked to my husband and he said he would be ok with driving from north of the city (traffic jams aren't as bad there right?) parking at the Marriott (not too bad fees) and walking across the bridge for work every day. Like I said, he likes to walk so he actually looks forward to that, even in driving rain and snow.

So, what places north of the city are nice?

Old 11-07-2011, 07:27 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Sometimes I think they should just sticky this

Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 PM

43 posts, read 49,640 times
THAT is classic. LOL!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
The sad thing about that map is that it is an entirely accurate representation of the urban core of the metro area!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:36 PM

I especially love "Who lives in Hays?"

Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The sad thing about that map is that it is an entirely accurate representation of the urban core of the metro area!
I don't know. I live in "thirtysomething, yoga, and jogging," none of which applies to me.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I don't know. I live in "thirtysomething, yoga, and jogging," none of which applies to me.
Camp out along Ellsworth Avenue sometime. You'll see 30-somethings jogging while Tweeting about yoga on their Smartphones, pushing strollers, walking dogs, etc.

I love how the Mexican War Streets gets "Random Nice Neighborhood", the South Side Flats gets a mixture of "Beer", "Hipsters and Bros", and "So Rich", Fox Chapel gets "yachts", and Squirrel Hill gets "Jews".

Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 PM

443 posts, read 600,668 times
I like the little random things in that map, Like "beer" on Carson st., the description for the east end is pretty funny, and the "hipsters and bros" for the southside flats/southside works.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:04 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
I like the little random things in that map, Like "beer" on Carson st., the description for the east end is pretty funny, and the "hipsters and bros" for the southside flats/southside works.
Rollercoasters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh