Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:16 PM

461 posts, read 748,696 times

Advertisements

It has taken us over a year to find a house in Pittsburgh. I was packing my car to drive over from Philadelphia to make settlement tomorrow (Tuesday) at 11 am, when our realtor called to say that someone stole the three stained glass windows from the house over the weekend.

We know that it isn't the best area in the city to live (Marshall Shadeland), but WTF??? I was planning to live there alone and work on the house while DH stayed here until he found a job that he liked; I'm a bit nervous about that plan now, despite my years of living in transitional neighborhoods of Philly.

After talking to a few antique dealers (hoping that we could get the windows back), we learned that this is a common practice in PGH, and that there is little chance of them being recovered.

And we're left to worry about the house being further vandalized; there are are two lovely fireplace inserts and copper pipes.

I'm angry, to say the least.

e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 04:32 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,765 times
I'd do whatever you can to secure your home. Unfortunately copper theft is a big problem in western PA, and you'll have a nightmare on your hands if thieves go in there and start ripping out pipes. On the bright side, it's rare that they target properties that are lived in and/or maintained and checked up on. Also, tell your neighbors to keep an eye on the property. Chances are it was an isolated incident.

Also, even though we're a week out from Halloween, don't rule out a prank either. Damn punk kids.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:35 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,798 times
That is totally messed up! I can't imagine that teenage pranksters would have the ability to take a whole window intact, they would likely just throw stones.

I would be heartbroken. Do you still want the house? I imagine if you haven't closed on it yet, you could get out of the contract.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:00 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Any chance it may have been the sellers of the house? I've seen it happen before.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:22 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Any chance it may have been the sellers of the house? I've seen it happen before.
Good point- that's what I'm thinking also. I find it too coincidental that the house has been probably sitting there for years intact, and now that it's known that it's changing ownership, the windows are suddenly gone?

I bought a house that had a brand new fridge in the kitchen while they were showing it and to my dismay, the day I moved in I found that it was replaced with an older and more basic model. I know it wasn't the owners who switched it out either, as they were both elderly, frail and on oxygen.

While I do believe that most realtors are basically trustworthy and possess integrity, I also believe that a certain number of them are the equivalent of used car salesmen.

I would approach the seller during the closing and press him/her to replace the windows before signing.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:39 PM

461 posts, read 748,696 times
We're pretty sure that it wasn't the family, since our realtor said that they were devastated when they found it and called their realtor right away to see what to do. We met most of the family (lovely people) when we were doing our inspection. We are driving over on Thursday to see how they got into the house - if there was no damage to the doors, then we might be more suspicious. In any case, we'll see the damage and decide what to do. Folks on this forum have been so kind, listening to me winge and whine about finding a place to live, and I'm really grateful! (We're the nuts who need a few garages - or at least two, and room for more parking - and less than $100k so that we can pay cash. And maybe room for chickens, too. This house was small, but has a big enough yard and four garages. If you know of something that fits the bill, I'd love to have a few backup places to see.)

Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Your house has a better chance of being intact if you move into it. If you leave it empty, you'll likely lose your copper pipes.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:45 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I think it's very suspicious that the windows were stolen right when you were closing on the property, but it could be a coincidence. If it's any consolation, I know of a guy in Mt. Oliver who can make you some new stained glass windows. He has a business in the Mt. Oliver business district and if u bring him a window frame he can make you some beautiful stained glass for it.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:18 PM

116 posts, read 212,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I have a relative that took several things out of his sold house, including a toilet, yikes!

He was sued and rightfully lost.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:54 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Good point- that's what I'm thinking also. I find it too coincidental that the house has been probably sitting there for years intact, and now that it's known that it's changing ownership, the windows are suddenly gone?
Actually that's probably why it was stolen now, lowlife pos's like to target homes that are listed for sale for such things. Just last month a guy I know walked in on another guy ripping out his piping the day before closing...unfortunately they scuffled & the perp got away.
The guy even brought lunch with him as I guess it was going to be a long job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh