Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 PM

59 posts, read 129,742 times

Advertisements

My roommate got his insurance through Grace Robinson after relocating here recently, and was less than impressed when he went to her office. I read him your post and he laughed. I have State Farm through a different agent and I haven't had any problems. I recently had a claim (my fault), and it was pretty painless. Several years ago, someone rear ended me, and again, pretty painless. I do think the agent does make some difference, however after a claim is entered (at least with State Farm), you don't really deal with the agent anymore.

Now, as far as I know with an uninsured driver, an insurance company will go after the other driver for your damages. They will file a civil suit at the magistrate where ever they live, and it goes from there. You'd have to ask the insurance company if they can sue for your deductible as well, or if that is something you need to do on your own.

If you still need the report number, just give the Zone 2 station a call and the desk officer can help you out.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
If the insurance company does go after the other driver (subrogation), and I would think they will, at least initially, unless the claim is tiny, then you would be entitled to any money they get back up to the $500 deductible. My understanding is that you are reimbursed first, amazingly enough, then the insurance company gets whatever more they can get. Of course, they have to actually collect something.

If it gets a couple years down the road and they close the case without collecting anything, you can try my ploy and write the CEO of State Farm saying it was their choice to stop trying to collect. See if they pay you the 500 bucks. Probably not but can't hurt.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:29 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
No idea! All I ever wanted to do was love her, but she's trying to kill me in return!
She's testing you. You have to be made of tough stuff, like the city itself.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:36 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
She's testing you. You have to be made of tough stuff, like the city itself.
I'm feeling rather dominant as of late, so I can take all she has to dish out!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:59 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
Life isn't fair. Welcome to adulthood where sometimes (more accurately often) you have to pay for things that occur through no fault of your own. That's the whole point of insurance, it mitigates some (but usually not all) of your risk against unexpected problems with your car, house, health, etc. I can't imagine you'll have a lot of success changing policies with 3 claims in the last 2 months (and possibly bad credit to boot from some of your other posts) but good luck.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
I've never heard of you having to shell out the deductible when you have uninsured motorist coverage. If the other driver is at fault and it is proven that they don't have insurance then that triggers that coverage and it's up to your insurance company to do what it needs to do to recover its expenses from anyone but you.

(I might be wrong but I just had to get to 1000 posts )

Old 11-09-2011, 10:48 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
Uninsured coverage is likely considered no fault by insurance so generally should not affect rates. It may or may not have a deductible which may or may not be the same as for damage suffered under other circumstances. That varies.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 PM

My insurance premiums actually just went down $50/month as a result of my 25th birthday being last week, so I may look to build that back up by extending my coverages so I'm not S.O.L. as more Pittsburghers who can't drive plow into my car in the future.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:49 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
more Pittsburghers who can't drive plow into my car in the future.
Ah I remember a time a short 3-4 years ago where we still retained our "friendly Pittsburgh driver" stereotype. It's like one day everyone with a set of car keys in the metro area said, "you know what, f*ck it, I'm going all Mad Max up in here".

Old 11-09-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Ah I remember a time a short 3-4 years ago where we still retained our "friendly Pittsburgh driver" stereotype. It's like one day everyone with a set of car keys in the metro area said, "you know what, f*ck it, I'm going all Mad Max up in here".
I just don't understand my string of adversity lately:

1.) A woman plows through a red light, totals my car, leaves me with neck pain, lies to the police and says she has the green light, and eggs on her drunk attorney husband to pick a fight with me on the scene.

2.) An elderly woman just veers right into the side of my boss's vehicle without warning as she was growing impatient waiting behind another vehicle in front of her that was trying to turn left. This accident results in me losing one of my jobs, even though I was not at all at-fault.

3.) Some ghetto trash comes literally RACING down Brereton Street here in Polish Hill, loses control, takes out a nun's parked Hyundai, and pushes it into the front of my new Civic Hybrid.

I'm at the point now where I don't even know who to sue for what!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh