Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:16 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times

Advertisements

It's just a shame that the Hazelwood business district did not survive. I imagine it looked a lot like Lawrenceville or Homestead at one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 12:37 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I hope to purchase my own first home in a "declining" neighborhood (i.e. Esplen, Hazelwood, Wilkinsburg, Millvale, Sharpsburg, Fox Chapel, etc.) to reap many of the same benefits you currently enjoy.
Uh oh, h_curtis is gonna have something to say about this slanderous remark.

BTW, where has he been lately?

Happy birthday & congrats AA!

Old 11-11-2011, 12:39 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Uh oh, h_curtis is gonna have something to say about this slanderous remark.
Let me guess:

"A typical response from someone who knows lesser than I about the area. If he knew as much as I do about everything in this world he'd know that The Borough was on the cusp of being declared one of the new Seven Wonders of the World. I really wish those unwashed masses from the city would stop crossing the bridge and shopping at Waterworks".

Old 11-11-2011, 08:22 PM

461 posts, read 748,464 times
Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary! I'm waving from the other side of the river, but I have a soft spot for McKees Rocks, if just because of Mancini's Bread. I too am grateful for the fantastic photo essays; I viewed them when I felt so far from home, and they helped DH to consider moving here.

e

Old 11-11-2011, 08:32 PM

My money's on AlleghenyAngel or BrianTH for the $5,000!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:40 PM

I guarantee that $5000 would go towards buying another old house in a disinvested Pittsburgh neighborhood. I think I am cheap house crazy at the moment.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I guarantee that $5000 would go towards buying another old house in a disinvested Pittsburgh neighborhood. I think I am cheap house crazy at the moment.
That $5,000 would guarantee that Hazelwood home purchase for my partner and I. We both really love it, but we're both pretty poor (continuing to shell out $500 deductibles for accidents that aren't my fault doesn't exactly help matters much either).

There's so much love Pittsburgh has to give, and there are an increasing number of us (thankfully) who want to accept that love and pass it forward.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:34 AM

20 posts, read 40,853 times
A belated happy birthday and happy anniversary from a (hopefully) soon-to-be neighbor and fellow urban pioneer. I've been eyeballing a few homes in McKees Rocks (fingers crossed they're still available when I come in to see them in December), and I really appreciate your posts and photos. Many thanks and wishing you many many more (years and homes).

Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
That $5,000 would guarantee that Hazelwood home purchase for my partner and I.
My guess is the winner will be one of the people who post daily tips. You know, you could do something like that if you want to go after this prize. You have a gift for writing, and Pittsburgh has plenty of material for someone who wants to post a daily tip for how to live there.

There's lots of ways you could approach something like that. You could take a daily walk and post about the different neighborhoods. Add a tip of the day (lots of material for that on government web sites, you just have to make sure it's a tip that hasn't already been posted on this forum). Post links to maps, charts, and other useful info. Since you have an interest in local politics, maybe you could post a running calendar of local meetings, and even attend a few and report on them.

You'd have a lot of competition for the contest, but you've got as good a chance as anyone else. Plus, it might be fun to do something like that.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaplurabelle View Post
A belated happy birthday and happy anniversary from a (hopefully) soon-to-be neighbor and fellow urban pioneer. I've been eyeballing a few homes in McKees Rocks (fingers crossed they're still available when I come in to see them in December), and I really appreciate your posts and photos. Many thanks and wishing you many many more (years and homes).
Thanks! I'm happy to hear that you're thinking of McKees Rocks for your new home. There are some really nice homes here that are on the market right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh