Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Pittsburgh drivers are extra timid in the rain?
No, people drive just as timid in the rain in my previous location. 18 50.00%
YES! What is wrong with people? Keep good tires on your auto, leave sufficient space, and just keep driving!* It's not hard! 18 50.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
And then I thought about the long dark of I-80 through the PA Wilds and how tired I would be in another few hours, and changed my mind thinking "No, much better to have stopped!" This was in the dry mind you, no rain.
That's the other problem at night! Deer! There were so many dead deer last weekend on the NY interstates. (There weren't as many two weeks prior.) One was soooooooo gross. A new kill, couldn't even recognize it was a deer, looked like a person's torso. (Hubby says that's because they sometimes explode and are skinned instantly when tractor trailors hit them.) I HEARD my tires spray the blood. YUCK! That was about 30 minutes before I decided to pull over and take a nap after it started raining.

Night driving for long trips in the rain is just too stressful. I never minded when I was younger because I was INVINCIBLE. But I'm wiser now that I'm older.

Quote:
Whenever the rain is bad enough that you have tractor trailers passing you (or you just get near an independent driver who is really truckin' and goes by) you're going to have problems, even in daylight. The spray coming off a semi is really bad for seeing, right up there with dense fog and a torrential downpour. I don't usually have a problem with semis passing me as I am nearly always driving faster than them, but I know what it's like when I pass them. Even though it hasn't been raining, or raining only lightly, I put the wipers on (or turn them faster) in anticipation. Try a torrential downpour in darkness. I remember one years ago on the Turnpike, was driving about 20 mph or slower at one point.

Still, I'm not sure why you would be surprised that the cars behind you would go around. They weren't affected, only you. And most of the time when a semi passes you it indicates you aren't going very fast. Semis from big companies have speed limiters; they can't go faster than typically high 60s mph, 67-68 or so. Some solo guys will go faster at times though.
You're talking to the girl who got a ticket for going 80. But I was going about 60 when this happened. There was an isolated snow storm we had just passed through. It was 32 degrees so the roads were wet with icy patches. And yes, I'm surprised the idiots flew around me while I was trying to gain control of my car. I was clearly an accident about to happen. I could have swerved into them!

Last edited by Hopes; 11-16-2011 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 AM

443 posts, read 600,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'm not going to do another back and forth, because I really don't want to credit the notion that the physics are actually in dispute. They are not.

To sum up the basic facts:

When the roadway is wet, the coefficient of rolling tires is substantially lower, such that your braking distance roughly doubles.

If you lock your tires, the effect of wet roads on braking distance will be much worse.

If you start hydroplaning, the effects will be even worse--in fact at that point you are not meaningfully braking at all, since your tires are no longer in contact with the road surface.

Understanding that your rolling tire braking distance roughly doubles as soon as the road is wet (and just gets worse from there as you add more water-related risks), you should always take wet roads into account. On highways specifically, if there is traffic, you should modify your speed/spacing to account for the greatly increased braking distance.

In turn, speed and spacing trade off against each other, and you obviously must take into account the behavior of the other drivers when determining how to restore a reasonable speed/spacing balance. In other words, typically on a highway with traffic you will not be able to simply dictate your optimal speed/spacing combination, so you will have to adjust that balance accordingly.
Professor, You should say coefficient of Friction between tires and the road way is now lower when the surface has water applied into the equation which lowers the force of friction as the normal force will be a constant in this equation. GOSH!

Old 11-16-2011, 08:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I was clearly an accident about to happen. I could have swerved into them!
Well if you were that out of control, I agree. I would have avoided being right next to you if you were obviously swerving.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:13 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Professor, You should say coefficient of Friction between tires and the road way is now lower when the surface has water applied into the equation which lowers the force of friction as the normal force will be a constant in this equation. GOSH!
Correct, I inadvertently omitted an "of friction" in my summary.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Well if you were that out of control, I agree. I would have avoided being right next to you if you were obviously swerving.
I was ALL OVER the road for a brief moment.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:56 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,979 times
Try driving in southern California in the rain. It rains maybe 40 days/year here (LOL!), and the people freak out. A rainy day here is called "the storm". People will say to me "be careful out in the storm!", "Oh my god, you've got to be freezing!".....Meanwhile, I'm wearing a t-shirt, jeans and tennis shoes on a 68 degree overcast day with showers.

As for the driving, picture how yinzers drive on icy roads, and you've got a good picture of how Californians drive in the rain. Brake pumping and all, lol.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:03 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
So as a transplant myself, I enjoyed reading many of your comments regarding traffic/area drivers in our area. On this rainy morning, I have to know, for those of you new to our area, do you think people drive more timid here in the rain than what you've experienced?
No. The only timid drivers I have ever noticed have been from Ohio.

Rain, snow, wind, the slightest curve, inclines, declines.....they are all pretty terrible at handling them without slamming on the breaks and going into shock.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:14 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
No. The only timid drivers I have ever noticed have been from Ohio.
People from Ohio and Virginia have been reduced to cattle on the highways thanks to their suffocating levels of law enforcement and their backwards highway traffic laws, respectively.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 AM

346 posts, read 537,215 times
I can't believe people complain about cautious driving during rain and snow... would you rather everyone wreck and die!!!! How long is it going to take you when some jagaloon speeding in the rain causes a 20 car pileup.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:01 AM

346 posts, read 537,215 times
Also if I notice someone going what I detrmine as too fast or driving too agressivley I will try to box them in, by driving the same speed as the car in the right lane in the left lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh