Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:50 AM

675 posts, read 2,089,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalsechi View Post
Thank you so much for the School District List. That will be a HUGE help. I am not giving up walkability. I can gve up public transit however. It sounds dumb, I know, but I LIKE being able to walk for coffee, a pizza, the park, etc. In regards to the budget, we can certainly raise it. When looking at the homes, and not knowing good areas from bad, there are a lot of great old houses that are 5 BR and in that price range. I can pay 2000/ mo rent or up to 300k. Does that help?
It's not dumb, I demanded a walkable town when I was looking. It was just quite a bit easier for me because I didn't have quite the other requirements that you have. Assuming you're sticking to the list of schools I supplied above, which I would recommend, that pretty much leaves you with Aspinwall. There are some 5 bedroom houses there, but almost all of them started out as 3 or 4 bedrooms with attics, and the attics have been converted to either 1 or 2 bedrooms. The houses have historic charm, and you should be able to find a nice 5 bedroom there for under 300k. If you buy in lower Aspinwall (Aspinwall proper) you'll be able to walk to some little shops and restaurants, and bit longer you can walk to the Waterworks, which has every chain establishment under the sun.

Honestly, I can't see you finding what you're looking for in any other school district. Go take a drive through Aspinwall, I think you'll really like it. GREAT place to raise children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Walkable, 5 bedrooms and good schools. Public transport and an easy commute to the Strip are out. You will have more options if your budget is 300,000. Here are the neighborhoods I would look at Aspinwall (it has an easy commute to the Strip), parts of Mt. Lebanon (rough commute to the strip) and Sewickley (not the greatest commute to the Strip). These three have the best schools but I don't know if it is even possible at this moment to find a house in your budget with 5 bedrooms and 2 baths. Next would be West View or Ross Township. Each have a small business district. The school district there is North Hills which is pretty good but for one reason or another few people "have to" live there in comparison to Aspinwall, Mt. Lebanon or Sewickley. Another option would be Oakmont. Nice town. Some say it is walkable but it is located on a hill so the walk home from town isn't that easy. Schools aren't the best. Oakmont is in Riverview School District. The wild card would be Squirrel Hill only because it may be pretty easy to find a 5 bedroom house there in your price range. City schools. Your call on whether or not they are good enough. Now, I wouldn't consider all of Squirrel Hill walkable. You want to be as close to the intersection of Forbes and Murray as possible but that sort of makes a walk to the park longer with kids.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Walkable, 5 bedrooms and good schools. Public transport and an easy commute to the Strip are out. You will have more options if your budget is 300,000. Here are the neighborhoods I would look at Aspinwall (it has an easy commute to the Strip), parts of Mt. Lebanon (rough commute to the strip) and Sewickley (not the greatest commute to the Strip). These three have the best schools but I don't know if it is even possible at this moment to find a house in your budget with 5 bedrooms and 2 baths. Next would be West View or Ross Township. Each have a small business district. The school district there is North Hills which is pretty good but for one reason or another few people "have to" live there in comparison to Aspinwall, Mt. Lebanon or Sewickley. Another option would be Oakmont. Nice town. Some say it is walkable but it is located on a hill so the walk home from town isn't that easy. Schools aren't the best. Oakmont is in Riverview School District. The wild card would be Squirrel Hill only because it may be pretty easy to find a 5 bedroom house there in your price range. City schools. Your call on whether or not they are good enough. Now, I wouldn't consider all of Squirrel Hill walkable. You want to be as close to the intersection of Forbes and Murray as possible but that sort of makes a walk to the park longer with kids.
After just having looked into Mt. Lebanon myself, I can say that it is quite difficult to find anything larger than a 3 bedroom in Mt. Lebanon in that price range. 4 Bedrooms do exist, but I've never seen a 5.

Sewickley probably has 5 bedroom houses, but in my past experience they wont be under 300k. Regardless, it would be worth looking in that area.

Squirrel Hill is definitely the wildcard, you should be able to find something that fits all your criteria there. Allderdice is the school, so it does eek its way onto the very bottom of the top 20 schools in the region, but many people have said that the school is sharply divided between the overachievers and the trouble-makers. That would be your call if you want to go with city schools.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
After just having looked into Mt. Lebanon myself, I can say that it is quite difficult to find anything larger than a 3 bedroom in Mt. Lebanon in that price range. 4 Bedrooms do exist, but I've never seen a 5.

Sewickley probably has 5 bedroom houses, but in my past experience they wont be under 300k. Regardless, it would be worth looking in that area.

Squirrel Hill is definitely the wildcard, you should be able to find something that fits all your criteria there. Allderdice is the school, so it does eek its way onto the very bottom of the top 20 schools in the region, but many people have said that the school is sharply divided between the overachievers and the trouble-makers. That would be your call if you want to go with city schools.
With 6 kids, it sounds as if 5 bedrooms is a priority. I quickly checked Lebo and there were 7 houses that were 5 bed/2 bath under 340,000. However, I am not sure if they are in walkable area of Lebo. I would think you can pretty much rule out your dream house with critieria this specific.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:30 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 365,427 times
I have to chime in about Oakmont...I grew up there. Yes, it is walkable, but the school district is very small as is the town, and it can be very difficult for an eccentric person, either an adult or child, to fit in. It was also rather conservative politically. I was a very creative child and I felt smothered there; it was so bad that I ended up going to a private high school in the city so that I could meet more of a variety of people because at the high school level one had to decide which predominant social clique to join--either the country club preppies or the tough hard partying group.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:01 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
5-bedroom homes in Greater Pittsburgh are indeed quite a rarity. Some places I would consider if I were in your situation?

ASPINWALL

$269,000: Aspinwall Real Estate - 109 Eastern Avenue, Aspinwall, PA, 15215

$199,000: Aspinwall Real Estate - 907 Center Avenue, Aspinwall, PA, 15215

AVALON

$100,000: Avalon Real Estate - 331 Elizabeth Avenue, Avalon, PA, 15202

BELLEVUE

$142,900: Bellevue Real Estate - 278 SUMMIT AVE, Bellevue, PA, 15202

$119,900: Bellevue Real Estate - 20 S Fremont, Bellevue, PA, 15202

$109,900: Bellevue Real Estate - 295 North Balph Avenue, Bellevue, PA, 15202

$93,500: Bellevue Real Estate - 565 Orchard Avenue, Bellevue, PA, 15202

$45,000: Bellevue Real Estate - 77 N HARRISON, Bellevue, PA, 15202

$40,000: Bellevue Real Estate - 426 Dawson, Bellevue, PA, 15202

OAKMONT

$275,000: Oakmont Real Estate - 1059 FIFTH STREET, Oakmont, PA, 15139

SHARPSBURG

$139,900: Sharpsburg Real Estate - 614 PENN ST, Sharpsburg, PA, 15215

$83,500: Sharpsburg Real Estate - 1321 Middle Street, Sharpsburg, PA, 15215

Generally speaking the massive homes in Avalon and Bellevue are dirt cheap for a reason---they are within the not-so-stellar Northgate School District. While doing a search for a maximum price of $320,000 and a minimum of four bedrooms (while further filtering for five-bedroom homes on my own) I couldn't find much in walkable communities with great schools within close proximity to the Strip District. You may want to also look into the Allderdice High School feeder pattern within the city proper.

Of the homes I presented to you I'm most inclined to recommend the one on Eastern Avenue in Aspinwall.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
...Of the homes I presented to you I'm most inclined to recommend the one on Eastern Avenue in Aspinwall.
That is a nice home, albeit contingent.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:37 PM

28 posts, read 51,118 times
Thank you all so much! I really appreciate everyone's response. We are planning to be there the second week in December, and now I know what areas I really want to focus on. I will let you all know what I find/think when I get back.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:40 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
Quote:
Best to find out what the contingent is, but it is rare to have luck with those. Never know though.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Not nearly as nice as you think. It looks like it has an original kitchen with the metal cabinets. No a/c is a killer, at least for me. Only a picture of one bath. That isn't a good sign. Probably need to drop at least 50,000 into for a new kitchen, baths and some new carpet.

I know where that home is. The one next door sold for a little over 300,000 a few years back and it was for the most part renovated. From the street the one next door looks so much nicer.

The one on Center only has one bath. One bath with 6 kids. No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh