Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:57 PM

28 posts, read 51,118 times

Advertisements

Here's our short list of must haves. Our buget is 200-225k or about 1600/mo rent;

Good schools
Commute to strip district in 30 min or less
Walkability
Off Street Parking
Yard
Big houses- we have six kids!
Public transport
Distance to Erie- we will be making this drive every weekend

A liitle bit about us... We're early 30's, well educated, liberal, we enjoy the music scene, the arts, the outdoors, LOVE sports, and like to stay busy. I'm a vegetarian, we cloth diaper, recycle, all that good stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 02:23 PM

675 posts, read 2,089,303 times
Must say, the title confused me.

Bucket list: A list of things to do before you die. Comes from the term "kicked the bucket".

Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 PM

22,267 posts, read 47,198,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
Must say, the title confused me.

Bucket list: A list of things to do before you die. Comes from the term "kicked the bucket".

LOL! I was just as confused!

And, I skipped the opening sentence and went right to the "bucket list"...
thinking "Why the hell would someone want to drive to Erie ever weekend before they die?"!

Old 11-14-2011, 02:42 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,482,638 times
The part that is going to be the toughest is walkable. Realistically, there are only so many areas that are walkable and close to the strip. Oakmont is a nice town. The schools aren't the best but they aren't the worst either. Easy to get to Erie via turnpike and 79. West View has a business district. Easy access to the Strip and to Erie since it is along 279.

Aspinwall, is pricier and is walkable. A lot of the houses are 3 stories. So, they may have the space you need. Small business district and easy walk to a shoppin center. Great commute to the Strip. Great schools. I would look there. However, the house would be a little rougher if it is in your price range.

Sewicley also has a nice business district but the houses are pricey.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,158,116 times
What do you consider a 'big house'? 1500 sqft or 6000 sqft? Are you cool with kids sharing rooms, or do they have to have their own room? What size yard? Three acres or 1/10 of an acre?

Old 11-14-2011, 02:48 PM

My input is, you're going to have to give up at least one of your must-haves. I don't think there's a single neighborhood with houses like this. You can get big, huge houses that will fit your family for this price, but it wont be in a good school district. I'm thinking Highland Park is a good example of that. Aspinwall's houses aren't big enough for your family, especially not the ones in your price range. Really, most of the houses that will be big enough for a family of 8 will be in either a less-than-desirable school district, or you'll blow right past your budget.

So, the question is, which of your must-haves will go by the wayside? With that new information, it may be easier to pick a neighborhood.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:48 PM

461 posts, read 745,058 times
How about Sewickley or Bellevue? Both have glorious, big old houses, easy enough to get to 79 to get to Erie, nice and walkable communities. Not sure about the schools, but others can chime in on that.

As far as the bucket expression, I had no idea what it meant, so thanks for the education!

Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
How about Sewickley or Bellevue? Both have glorious, big old houses, easy enough to get to 79 to get to Erie, nice and walkable communities. Not sure about the schools, but others can chime in on that.

As far as the bucket expression, I had no idea what it meant, so thanks for the education!
Sewickley is nice, but again, you're not likely to find a house with nearly the requirements listed above in that price range. Bellevue is significantly rougher around the edges, and I'm not sure what the school is like, but it doesn't make the list of best schools in the area, which is my personal criteria for "good schools."

When I was picking a school district to move into, I made the following map to help me decide. It plots the top 25 school districts in the area:

Map of Pittsburgh's Best Schools

Hope someone gets some use out of it.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:00 PM

My personal advice would be, try to find the biggest, cheapest house in the Fox Chapel school district, which is likely to fall in O'Hara. You'll have to give up walkability, but you could possibly satisfy much of your other criteria.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:06 PM

28 posts, read 51,118 times
I know that is the original usage for bucket list, but I have seen it used as must haves instead of must do as well. LOL. The house must have 5 BR. The one we are in now is 3500 sq ft. Hence the reason the old Victorians in Bellevue attracted us so much. Ummm what if we extend the commute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh