Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:12 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
I agree with this post, except for the bold part. There are no "people in the middle" milking the system. The middle class is the only economic group that is still doing any meaningful work in this country. It's the people on either extreme of the scale that are screwing the honest workers in the middle class.

The 1% have the most blame because they have all of the money and power and therefore the responsibility to not screw over people that don't have as much of those things. Instead, they have gradually taken more and more away from the middle class through every way imaginable and have transferred more and more power away from the people in government.

Until someone important and powerful has the balls to stand up to these people, things will only get worse in the long run.
Wrong! I work with people that make plenty of money, but because they have a few kids they pay nothing in federal income tax, and get money back through the earned income tax credit. these aren't poor people. they may be on the lower end of the middle class, but not poor. The worst part about it, is it keeps them there. there is no reason to advance a little because a pay increase would be negated by losing the earned income tax credit. It keeps them from wanting to better themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 10:21 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Wrong! I work with people that make plenty of money, but because they have a few kids they pay nothing in federal income tax, and get money back through the earned income tax credit. these aren't poor people. they may be on the lower end of the middle class, but not poor. The worst part about it, is it keeps them there. there is no reason to advance a little because a pay increase would be negated by losing the earned income tax credit. It keeps them from wanting to better themselves.
This is obviously a problem. But it is merely a drop in the bucket for the bigger problem at large (like $12.3 trillion American tax payer dollars that were secretly distributed to financial institutions worldwide). It's the old divide and conquer strategy where people bicker about the underlings they can see in society while the folks at the top are the real crooks who operate under the radar.

I really wish one day people would stop crapping all over "those welfare bums" and actually address the real problem at hand.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:35 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Wrong! I work with people that make plenty of money, but because they have a few kids they pay nothing in federal income tax, and get money back through the earned income tax credit. these aren't poor people.
But of course they are paying a bunch of other taxes, including other federal taxes, just not the federal income tax.

Quote:
there is no reason to advance a little because a pay increase would be negated by losing the earned income tax credit. It keeps them from wanting to better themselves.
Nope, the way the EITC phase-out works you would never be better off financially making less income. It can raise your marginal rate in the phase-out range higher than the statutory marginal rate, but that isn't the same thing as claiming the benefits of additional income are actually "negated" by the EITC phase-out.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:00 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,811 times
Given this premise:

Quote:
talk about the people in the middle milking the system that shouldn't be!
Quote:
they pay nothing in federal income tax, and get money back through the earned income tax credit. these aren't poor people. they may be on the lower end of the middle class, but not poor.
I don't see how you can reach this conclusion:

Quote:
taxes don't need to be raised.
I actually don't agree with anything that you've said so far, but the above statements are conflicting. At least to me, they're indicative of someone starting with the conclusion (taxes shouldn't be raised) and backing out the premise. That obviously doesn't make sense, and I think you're robbing yourself of the opportunity to completely grasp the issue.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:47 PM

659 posts, read 1,145,787 times
What I don't understand is why are they not at the white house, where mr wonderful lives, why not???

Old 11-24-2011, 06:53 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
What I don't understand is why are they not at the white house, where mr wonderful lives, why not???

Traditionally, the idea is to protest against people you don't like or whose policies you disagree with.

Since the OWS folks are close allies with President Obama its a bit inappropriate for them to protest against their close friend.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:56 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Traditionally, the idea is to protest against people you don't like or whose policies you disagree with.

Since the OWS folks are close allies with President Obama its a bit inappropriate for them to protest against their close friend.
It would make more sense to occupy Capital Hill than the White House since congress has way more to do with what is going on than Obama (honestly Obama was young when the seeds for this current financial mess were beginning to be sewn during the carter administration)

Old 11-24-2011, 08:01 PM

What makes the most sense is to get a job, any job and work your way up...like we all did in life, I didn't even go to college till I was 25, I worked two jobs...and I did not feel I needed a nanny state to take care of me, I asked for nothing, had nothing and did not blame everyone else for my lack of money...

Old 11-25-2011, 11:59 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
(1) You are truly clueless if you believe that most OWS protestors are closely aligned with Obama at all.
(2) WINDCHIMES -- Did you also walk uphill both ways to get to work, even though it rained actual cats and dogs in those days? "So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em."

Old 11-25-2011, 04:27 PM

I used to walk to work and then I took a bus, I got promoted and then drove myself, when I got older, married and had a family, I quit my job to be a full time mom best job in the world by the way, I am allergic to onions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh